M107/M110 SP Guns
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M107/M110 SP Guns Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:14 pm
    ----
I've always wondered something about these vehicles. Didn't they freeze their butts off in the winter? Did they have any protection from the elements?

#2: Re: M107/M110 SP Guns Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:59 pm
    ----
They had the same protection from the elements their comrades serving towed artillery had. Besides, they could keep warm humping that ammo!. Wink

Remember 'Weed, these aren't "armored vehicles", they're "artillery-self propelled".

#3: Re: M107/M110 SP Guns Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:53 pm
    ----
I get cold just thinking of being on one of these in Germany Neutral

#4: Re: M107/M110 SP Guns Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:49 am
    ----
There were all-weather kits produced for the M107 & M110 some even provided ballistic protection. But few were actually issued - probably because it was just too much trouble for the gun crews to erect & remove it whenever the weather turned inclement.

BTW there was even an M110 prototype produced with a casemate around the gun & crew.

Images on JED.

#5: Re: M107/M110 SP Guns Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:11 pm
    ----
Hi all,
The area looks very very familiar, ROK in the 80's I believe, One really cold place to be for them guys.

Joe D

#6: Re: M107/M110 SP Guns Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:37 am
    ----
I recall seeing one 8" with the canvas and clear plastic cover. Probably worked as well as a jeep soft top. I do not know, but suspect there was a crew heater associated with that cover.

#7: Re: M107/M110 SP Guns Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:52 pm
    ----
Hi Mark! Hi Folks!

I don't remember were I got the picture from, possible Stars and Stripes or maybe Army Times. During my time, I only seen this thing one time during a REFORGER FTX when a battalion of M107/M110s when by my position.

It is my understanding that is not a cold weather cab but a NBC/CBR shelter to protect the work area and as such, like the MOTT suits, was not used so they would be ready and serviceable if every needed.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#8: Re: M107/M110 SP Guns Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:36 pm
    ----
The Belgiques used them a lot. They were just canvas and plastic...

Cool

-> AFV News Discussion Board