OT - WWI artillery for Armyjunk2
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: OT - WWI artillery for Armyjunk2 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:11 pm
    ----
M1905 3" field gun

Mk I or II 18-pounder field gun "Minnie"

Interestingly, I found a pair of virtually the same types behind the restoration facility

M1905 3" field gun

M1917 ("British") 75mm field gun

K96nA 77mm field gun "Gertrude"

M1897 75mm field gun "Bridget"

M1905 6" field gun

M1917 155mm field gun

M1918 155mm field howitzer with a 105mm barrel inserted for chemical round testing

Neil

#2: Re: OT - WWI artillery for Armyjunk2 Author: BruceClark PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:25 pm
    ----
Thanks for the Pics, Neil.

The first thing that strikes me is all the empty space and unoccupied concrete bases out on the field. Where have all the other pieces gone? Are they still accessible?

Cheers!

Bruce

#3: Re: OT - WWI artillery for Armyjunk2 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:39 pm
    ----
A few are inside the museum, a couple are on display elsewhere on post, a number are inside the warehouse, and there's about a dozen or so that I just dont know their current status. They may possibly be inside the warehouse as well, I probably havent done a good cataloguing of all of those (but they tend to be restored smaller pieces). But at any rate some appear to be in storage elsewhere (ie "behind the fence") or possibly given to other museums...

For example, the M1917 was formerly on display on one of those pads & just showed up behind the restoration facility (no idea where it was prior to that). The second M1905, well I only knew of one in the museum's records, so its a "new" item...

Neil

#4: Re: OT - WWI artillery for Armyjunk2 Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:18 pm
    ----
The guns behind the restoration facility are recent arrivals from Ft Campbell. There are no immediate plans for them other than stabilization if I remember Ed Heasleys comments correctly.

#5: Re: OT - WWI artillery for Armyjunk2 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:37 pm
    ----
Huh... Both are relatively rare pieces I think. In fact if you remember we had one guy asking about the same type of piece (M1905 3") inside the museum... Odd that Campbell would have them... Also if thats true, then there's another museum M1917 75mm field gun that is unaccounted for...

Thanks for the info...

Neil

#6: Re: OT - WWI artillery for Armyjunk2 Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:54 pm
    ----
The paint job on the guns is what made me ask Ed about it last Monday. I don't know of any museum pieces that were painted in the 3 tone mid eighties camo scheme Wink

#7: Re: OT - WWI artillery for Armyjunk2 Author: Dennis_Smith PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:13 pm
    ----
Armyjunk2, if you haven't already seen it, check out Trenches on the Web

#8: Re: OT - WWI artillery for Armyjunk2 Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:00 pm
    ----
Thank you Neil,
I've been gone to Boston for the Coast Defense Study Groups annual meeting. Anyone interested in Coastal Fortifications should get in touch with those people at cdsg.org they do a lot of trips worldwide to forts and the meetings are fun...
The guns behind the restoration facility at aberdeen were at Fort Campbell late last year and the M1917 is pretty rare, it is 1 of 3 that I know of. thanks guys

#9: Re: OT - WWI artillery for Armyjunk2 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:53 pm
    ----
Armyjunk2,
What about the M1905? There was a guy at the Ordnance Museum asking about the one inside there... He sent me some pics of one at a VFW in NJ. I can send them to you, but he hasnt told me exactly where in NJ it is...

Neil

#10: Re: OT - WWI artillery for Armyjunk2 Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:37 pm
    ----
I have 60 or so 3" M1905 on the list, but only one at Hamiliton, NJ so that makes it rare in NJ. Neil, Please forward the picture.

#11: Re: OT - WWI artillery for Armyjunk2 Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:42 pm
    ----
Please be aware that there are two different Hamilton's in NJ. One in Mercer county and one in Atlantic county if you ever go hunting for it Rolling Eyes

Jeff Lewis

#12: Re: OT - WWI artillery for Armyjunk2 Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:18 pm
    ----
Is that like Burlington? Rolling Eyes

#13: Re: OT - WWI artillery for Armyjunk2 Author: Dennis_Smith PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:59 pm
    ----
armyjunk2, since this thread is already OT, I thought you might like to wander even farther off the beaten path. Some coastal defense artillery from the Panama Canal Zone. I was there in the 80's. Airborne Infantry. We came across lots of old ruins, equipment left over from the construction of the canal, underground bunkers, etc., all covered by jungle. I didn't learn until years later what all that stuff was.

Battery Stanley at Fort Sherman

[img]http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t205/dennismenace56/batterystanley.jpg?t=1177532392[/img]

Jungle covered ruins when I was there in the 80's.

Last edited by Dennis_Smith on Tue May 08, 2007 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total

#14: Re: OT - WWI artillery for Armyjunk2 Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:34 pm
    ----
thank you Dennis, i just spent last week looking at the samething in Boston, I have a lot of info on the forts in Panama, Battery plans and maps of the post if you ever have a interest in them I will be glad to send to you. My group did a tour to Panama a couple years ago, saw most all of the Coast Artillery emplacements there....The good book on the subject is The Defense of the Pananma Canal by Terry McGovern, if you want a copy let me know

#15: Re: OT - WWI artillery for Armyjunk2 Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:36 pm
    ----
Someone tell me if I get to far off topic on here...........

-> AFV News Discussion Board