New Fueler "Smoker" in 1st CAV....
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: New Fueler "Smoker" in 1st CAV.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:45 am
    ----
Hello to all, it's been a while since I've been on here since my trip to Ft Eustis for ANCOC and my return back to Ft Hood. I found this interesting HEMMET fueler at the 1st CAV museum today while snapping some M47 pictures for Toadman which I will be posting on here as well soon. This grill / smoker is awesome! Notice the Toyota next to it for size comparrison. Someone went to alot of work to make this. With all 8 tires pointing straight, it looks to be a pain to manuver however. Enjoy you 1st CAV fans.

#2: Re: New Fueler "Smoker" in 1st CAV.... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:46 pm
    ----
Jeff,
Maybe it can "pivot steer"? (that ought to be good for some smoke!) Laughing

#3: Re: New Fueler "Smoker" in 1st CAV.... Author: Dennis_Smith PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:28 am
    ----
We never had a smoker shaped like a fueler, but we had a beer cooler shaped like a jeep trailer. Smile

Last edited by Dennis_Smith on Tue May 08, 2007 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total

#4: Re: New Fueler "Smoker" in 1st CAV.... Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:39 pm
    ----
Someone did a GREAT job! I'm sure those Cav boys use JP-8 for charcoal starter Wink

#5: Re: New Fueler "Smoker" in 1st CAV.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:52 am
    ----
It certainly did take someone alot of time to make, no doubt. The actual grill/smoker area looks to be 3/8inch thick, and is not aluminum like the cab area. Those axles and brake drums look heavy as well.
Whats the time period and location of that beer cooler jeep trailer?

#6: Re: New Fueler "Smoker" in 1st CAV.... Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:51 pm
    ----
Jeff, The tires look like CUCV tires so I'm thinking they came with axles from a bone yard. Uniforms above look like the permanent press fatigues. I was wearing them in 78'-'79. Didn't have a maroon beret though Sad

#7: Re: New Fueler "Smoker" in 1st CAV.... Author: Dennis_Smith PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:21 pm
    ----
Hey SFC Button,

The beer cooler picture was taken at 18 FA Brigade, Fort Bragg. Around 1980.

We were trying to uphold a proud tradition of hard drinking paratroopers.

-> AFV News Discussion Board