Ft Hood M47's....
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Ft Hood M47's.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:49 pm
    ----
Hello to all.
I took these the other day in response to a request from one of our esteemed members. Thought I'd share them all with you. The 1st M47 is from the 1st Cav museum, serial number 8537. The second M47 is at the 4ID mueum, serial number 483.
And yes, I told the 1st CAV museum personnel about the incorrect labeling of their tank, in reference to it being a diesel conversion. They said they were not suprised, that I would probably find many inaccurate display plaques.

#2: Re: Ft Hood M47's.... Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:56 pm
    ----
Jeff,
Thanks for posting these pics here. They'll work out really well for me.

Regards,
Chris

#3: Re: Ft Hood M47's.... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:44 pm
    ----
Hi Jeff! Hi Folks!

Is it just me, or is there something different about the lower edge of those two turrets?
[quote="SFC_Jeff_Button"]

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#4: Re: Ft Hood M47's.... Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:27 pm
    ----
[quote="Roy_A_Lingle"]Hi Jeff! Hi Folks!

Is it just me, or is there something different about the lower edge of those two turrets?
- SFC_Jeff_Button

Sgt, Scouts Out!

Hi Roy,
Yep, there's a difference between the two. The two turrets were cast by two different foundries. The turret in the top picture was possibly cast by General Steel Casting Corp. While there logo isn't visable in any of the pics, my money is that you'd find it on top of the turret bustle. The other turret was cast by Continental Foundry and Machine Company out of Wheeling, West Virginia. It's logo is visable on the right side of the turret bustle.

I'm not sure about the casting procedure but from the many M47 pics I've been studying I've found that Continental Foundry turrets all looked like the one in the picture that Jeff took. Maybe Kurt Laughlin can help out further.

-> AFV News Discussion Board