Sherman M4A3 "Bourg la Reine in Phalsbourg (France)
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Sherman M4A3 "Bourg la Reine in Phalsbourg (France) Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 2:20 pm
    ----
Hello,

I can't remember who asked for some pictures of the Sherman "Bourg la Reine" at Phalsbourg. Here are some pictures I took today :

http://the.shadock.free.fr/Tanks_in_France/sherman_phalsbourg/index.html

Pierre-Olivier

#2: Re: Sherman M4A3 "Bourg la Reine in Phalsbourg (France) Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 2:54 pm
    ----
I wonder if those holes are from German 88mm?

#3: Re: Sherman M4A3 "Bourg la Reine in Phalsbourg (France) Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 3:41 pm
    ----
Thank you Pierre,
I this was the Sherman I saw when I was about 6 or 7 years old (around 1969). My parents were visiting friends in the Phalsbourg area that they had met earlier when my Father was stationed at the Air Force Base there in '63. What I remembered the most was the large holes in it. Didn't know it was a Sherman until it came up in this forum. It is my earliest memory of being near any tank. Thanks again.

Joe D

#4: Re: Sherman M4A3 "Bourg la Reine in Phalsbourg (France) Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:35 pm
    ----
Hi Pierre! Hi Folks!

Nice set of walk arounds. Thanks for the map!
Anyone else notice the top engine deck has a type of grill doors I have not seen before. Checked my Hunnicutt and didn't find anything like that in his book (or maybe I just missed it in my rush).

I wonder if that is a A2 with a modified engine deck?
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#5: Re: Sherman M4A3 "Bourg la Reine in Phalsbourg (France) Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:26 am
    ----
The engine deck door arrangement has been altered. The one on the tank's right is a standard M4A3 while that on the left is from an M4A2. It may have been added to close up the hole for display. The rear shot is pure M4A3.

Pierre, how close are you to this vehicle? There are a few numbers that would be good to have if it is convienient and you are willing.

Thanks,
KL

#6: Re: Sherman M4A3 "Bourg la Reine in Phalsbourg (France) Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:53 am
    ----
I'm 40 kilometers away from this tank, it is really not a problem for me to go back there in few days.
I tried to find some SNs on this tank but I forgot to look at the foundry symbols or numbers.. (I really have to set up a list of things to take in photo when doing a walk-around. Maybe someone could help in listing what must be taken in photo for a good walkaround ??)

Roy, on every walkaround that I published on my website is a map with the exact location of the tank or the museum. I often have difficulties to find a vehicle in a town that I don't know, so I think that it can really help.. By the way, my walkarounds website was redesigned and the vehicles are now sorted by regions (they were unsorted before..). I also added French translations..
----> http://the.shadock.free.fr/Tanks_in_France.html

Pierre-Olivier

-> AFV News Discussion Board