MRAP to replace armored Humvees
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: MRAP to replace armored Humvees Author: A2_Prius PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:18 am
    ----
USA Today reports that the Pentagon will phase out its armored Humvees in Afghanistan and Iraq, replacing them with the Mine Resistant Ambush Protected Vehicle (MRAP). No Marines have been killed in 300 attacks on their MRAPs in Iraq's Anbar province but two soldiers died when their MRAP was IED'd.

www.usatoday.com/news/...mrap_N.htm

#2: Re: MRAP to replace armored Humvees Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:37 pm
    ----
I wonder who is building them?

#3: Re: MRAP to replace armored Humvees Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:02 pm
    ----
- MarkHolloway
I wonder who is building them?

At least four different companies - mostly non-USA IIRC.

I'll have a quick dig through my notes and see if I can find the details and an image of each vehicle ordered.

Cool

#4: Re: MRAP to replace armored Humvees Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:50 pm
    ----
As well as the Force Protection Industries Cougar and the M1117 the following have been procured/ordered

#5: Re: MRAP to replace armored Humvees Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:57 pm
    ----
For the I-5 at rush hour, I gotta' go with this... ("honorable mention" to the "Golan", but a little wide. Points for intimidation value, though)

#6: Re: MRAP to replace armored Humvees Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:59 pm
    ----
Ooops I almost forgot the BAe RG33L - obviously to supplement the Buffalo's

Cool

#7: Re: MRAP to replace armored Humvees Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:05 pm
    ----
There is a rumour that the 'Stallion' may also be procured. The shortage of production capacity must be really biting...

Anyone want to guess what vehicle lies under all that restyling?

Cool

#8: Re: MRAP to replace armored Humvees Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:18 pm
    ----
A Ferret? Wink

#9: Re: MRAP to replace armored Humvees Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:18 pm
    ----
Looks like those hulls Bob & I spotted at APG - presumably Textron's MRAP entry, they very much looked like V-150 / ASV variants - wont be in the running anymore. I was surprised they were left out in the open (not "behind the fence"), but just the same I thought better of taking any pictures...

Neil

Textron Sees Continued Strong Demand for Armored Security Vehicle

Providence, RI - May 8, 2007 - Based on current and pending U.S. Department of Defense budget requests, Textron Systems Corporation, a Textron Inc. (NYSE: TXT) company, expects to deliver about 530 of its highly successful Armored Security Vehicle (ASV) units in 2007 and at least as many next year. The outlook for ASV production remains strong despite recent notification from the U.S. Marine Corps that the company will not be receiving any additional delivery orders for the Mine Resistant Ambush Protected Vehicle (MRAP) program.

"We continue to experience both strong demand and exceptional customer feedback for the ASV," said Frank Tempesta, president, Textron Systems. "In addition, through our participation in the MRAP program, we were able to make some design improvements for integration into the ASV platform that will produce substantial benefits for present and future customers - design improvements that will serve to augment the long-term success of the current ASV program, as well as position Textron for the even longer-term success of the platform."

Textron's MRAP prototype design was a variant of their M1117 Armored Security Vehicle (ASV), which it produces principally for the U.S. Army. The company, through its Textron Marine & Land Systems operating unit in New Orleans, was one of nine companies asked to develop and submit prototype/test vehicles for consideration for the U.S. Marine program.

#10: Re: MRAP to replace armored Humvees Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 4:31 pm
    ----
- Tanklord
A Ferret? Wink

Give that man a prize!

Cool

#11: Re: MRAP to replace armored Humvees Author: TaranovLocation: Moscow, Russia PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:05 pm
    ----
- JimWeb

Anyone want to guess what vehicle lies under all that restyling?

Looks like AFV for Pokemons Laughing

#12: Re: MRAP to replace armored Humvees Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:14 pm
    ----
I was thinking an armored "Smart", but knew "Nah, that can't be right."

#13: Re: MRAP to replace armored Humvees Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:18 am
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey

If it is called a Smart Car, why does it look so stupid?

One comment from some of the Canadians in Bosnia was they needed a small liaison vehicle. They liked the cute French Panhard armoured skateboard. But a Ferret? I wonder how a short wheelbase steel jellybean would withstand mine blasts?

#14: Re: MRAP to replace armored Humvees Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:45 am
    ----
- Maple_Leaf_Eh
- Doug_Kibbey

If it is called a Smart Car, why does it look so stupid?

HEY I could resent that Twisted Evil

Have I told y'all about my connection with the SMART (and I'm being serious)

#15: Re: MRAP to replace armored Humvees Author: A2_Prius PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 5:10 pm
    ----
I thought the Stallion looked kinda like a New Beetle . . .

-> AFV News Discussion Board