So, maybe I'll mosy up to Duxford....
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: So, maybe I'll mosy up to Duxford.... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 4:10 pm
    ----
...and practice driving on the wrong side of the road. Or chicken out and take the train. Dunno' yet. Anyway, I might wander up. Leaving for the UK tomorrow AM and have next weekend off while languishing in Bracknell. Any special tips?

D.

#2: Re: So, maybe I'll mosy up to Duxford.... Author: TaranovLocation: Moscow, Russia PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 4:37 pm
    ----
Fordson WOT1 Barrage Balloon vehicle

AEC Dorchester

Morris-Commercial C8 FAT

#3: Re: So, maybe I'll mosy up to Duxford.... Author: JohnPrigentLocation: Sussex, UK PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 7:02 pm
    ----
My main tip for Duxford is wear good, comfortable walking shoes. It's a _long_ way from the gate and car park to the Land Warfare Hall when you're carrying camera gear etc, and just as far back again when you want a drink or food. More tips: take a raincoat, it seems highly likely to be wet a good deal of each day all next week; check your camera battery is at full charge, you'll need flash in the LWH because it is not exactly brightly lit in some places. Plenty of film or a spare sim card will be useful too. Don't miss the outside displays, some of them are tucked between the old hangars so not obvious as you plod to and fro. Check outside the far end of the LWH as well, sometimes there's stuff back there that is well worth a look. There are vehicles inside the aircraft display hangars too, even a midget submarine! And somewhere around there's a complete Scud TEL, though I'm not sure where it is nowadays, and a Sam-2.

Cheers

John

#4: Re: So, maybe I'll mosy up to Duxford.... Author: Dennis_Smith PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 9:23 pm
    ----

What's up with the test track? See if they'll let you take one for a spin!

#5: Re: So, maybe I'll mosy up to Duxford.... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 9:37 pm
    ----
- Dennis_Smith

What's up with the test track? See if they'll let you take one for a spin!

Ya' think? Maybe if they're not too fussy about expiration dates. Laughing

#6: Re: So, maybe I'll mosy up to Duxford.... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 11:05 pm
    ----
Doug

I found Your 'renewed' Lic. Rolling Eyes

Hope this 'helps'.... Wink

Don

#7: Re: So, maybe I'll mosy up to Duxford.... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 11:49 pm
    ----
You're a dangerous man, Don. Laughing

Good tips, John. That's why I:

Always take a raincoat.

Only use a digital camera that takes AA batteries (available everywhere).

Always carry a spare vid card.

AND COMFY SHOES!

I be's ready!

#8: Re: So, maybe I'll mosy up to Duxford.... Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 3:58 am
    ----
In the Spring of 2000 I visited Duxford, after having spent 2 days at Bovington , and I can verify the fact that you better have your hiking shoes on! I see by the overhead shots that more aircraft are being displayed outside. While I was there, a Spitfire was doing touch and goes. Wished I would have had a camcorder with me, but this little trip was a present from a client after having spent 42 days offshore Pakistan. I would have enjoyed Duxford even more if I hadn't twisted my ankle a couple of weeks before Sad . Had no problems at Bovington, but after walking from on end of Duxford to the other, I was in excrutiating pain!

#9: Re: So, maybe I'll mosy up to Duxford.... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 10:57 am
    ----
I had a chance to visit Duxford in the spring of 2001. It was pouring rain the entire time. I will vouch for all he advice given above (I didn't have a digital camera at the time)

And about GI drivers licences - The one I had from the Air Force didn't expire. I can't remember if it had a n N/A in that box or INDEF. I'll have to dig it out and check it. I know it is overstamped FLT LINE AUTH. (I keep telling Ed Heasley at Aberdeen that when they bring the Tiger home I can drive them right up to the plane :-))

#10: Re: So, maybe I'll mosy up to Duxford.... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:31 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey

You're a dangerous man, Don. Laughing

Heres an example of the 'newer' permit.... (actually a composite of two...)

The most important entry?..... LAWNMOWER, of course!!! Mr. Green

Don

(PS: Thats where the 'House Hold SIX' says I need to be.... Operating the Lawn Mower!!! Mr. Green )

#11: Re: So, maybe I'll mosy up to Duxford.... Author: Dennis_Smith PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:45 pm
    ----
Thats where the 'House Hold SIX' says I need to be.... Operating the Lawn Mower!!!

I wonder if one of those 2.5 scale tanks with a mower deck underneath would make it easier to con a neighborhood kid into mowing ones' yard?

Smile

#12: Re: So, maybe I'll mosy up to Duxford.... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:51 pm
    ----
- Dennis_Smith
Thats where the 'House Hold SIX' says I need to be.... Operating the Lawn Mower!!!

I wonder if one of those 2.5 scale tanks with a mower deck underneath would make it easier to con a neighborhood kid into mowing ones' yard?

I love that scaled tank. Considering getting more information..... Beside, I have an extra 'old' riding mower that could easily be sacrificed for such a 'Shade Tree' project.

BTW: Dennis, with 6 plus acres to mow, its hard to interest anyone in doing it, for a reasonable fee. Besides, I sorta like the job since no one tends to bother me as I'm getting it done. Ahhh the tranquility of lawn care.... Laughing Cool

Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board