Modern Gun Truck
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Modern Gun Truck Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:05 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

For you folks who are interested in Vietnam era gun trucks, check out the modern rig on the left side of the photo. Found the photo over at the US Army web site.

To bad we could not get a walk around set of views with a list of the modifications.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#2: Re: Modern Gun Truck Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:35 am
    ----
Nice job on the mods. Are those AT-4's on each side of the roof? That gunner's chair sure looks comfy! I don't think engineers ever dreamed of these vehicles carrying this kind of weight! I wonder what would have happened if they still had the M-151A2 Jeep. How much armor would it hold?

#3: Re: Modern Gun Truck Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:05 am
    ----
Hi Mark!

- MarkHolloway
Are those AT-4's on each side of the roof? That gunner's chair sure looks comfy! I don't think engineers ever dreamed of these vehicles carrying this kind of weight! I wonder what would have happened if they still had the M-151A2 Jeep. How much armor would it hold?

I am not sure, but I was thinking those pipes on the top outside edge of the cab roof were AT-4 also.

It is my understanding that mods like this one are causing the Hummer fleet to wear out much faster than planning had forcasted.

M-151 Jeep? That vehicle was OK during Vietnam and during peace time training.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#4: Re: Modern Gun Truck Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:47 pm
    ----
- MarkHolloway
! I wonder what would have happened if they still had the M-151A2 Jeep. How much armor would it hold?

Not much. 4-banger engine was anemic even without armor (and so was the suspension, so just as well, even the M151A1C needed upgraded coils to handled the weight of the recoiless rifle). Somewhere around I posted a pic of one of our D Troop gunjeeps that hit a mine in Vietnam. Not pretty, and mines there were generally smaller than the IED's in the sandbox(s).

I'm in London at the moment...gotta' dash...

#5: Re: Modern Gun Truck Author: DirkLocation: South Africa PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:12 pm
    ----
Them Land Rovers looks quite nice Smile

Question on the Landies - M249 or M240 topside ?

-> AFV News Discussion Board