M60 & M7 in Dillon SC
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M60 & M7 in Dillon SC Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:31 am
    ----
I stopped by Dillon SC today on my way back to Washington to find the M7 Priest located at the VFW there - and also managed to find an M60(A3?) at the local ARNG armory.

Its SN 1874 - a near cousin, SN 1863, is located in Columbia SC.

And here's the M7 Priest at the VFW

Neil

#2: Re: M60 & M7 in Dillon SC Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:34 am
    ----
I found the SC ARNG armory in Summerville SC, but no M59 was there.... I was not able to find the armory in Mount Pleasant SC that was also supposed to have an M59 - I'll need to check again on my next trip home...

Neil

#3: Re: M60 & M7 in Dillon SC Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:56 am
    ----
you know, in the 4 1/2 years spent in sc i dont recall seeing any armor "monuments". plenty of stuff for the rev war and acw history but no armor or anything...
neil, where is dillon sc?

#4: Re: M60 & M7 in Dillon SC Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:04 am
    ----
Yeah, there's not that much armor on display in SC - although Fort Jackson has a pretty decent collection, and The Citadel has a couple of course... Other than that, just a few M60s at armor company armories & some M59s at infantry company armories...

Dillon is at exit 190 on I-95; just a few miles south of South of the Border (ie the SC/NC line)... Hence it was a fairly easy detour for me...

Neil

#5: Re: M60 & M7 in Dillon SC Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:45 am
    ----
FYI,
I will be in Columbia SC this weekend and will aim to get some armor pics during my trip, including:
Fort Jackson Sherman flamethrower tank
Fort Jackson M46 Patton
Camden M60

Unfortunately, Fort Jackson might be tricky since the museum there is closed on weekends - will have to see if I can fit it on Friday...

Neil

#6: Re: M60 & M7 in Dillon SC Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:04 pm
    ----
Can someone confirm the above is an M60A3?

Neil

#7: Re: M60 & M7 in Dillon SC Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:52 am
    ----
Hi Neil! Hi Folks!

- Neil_Baumgardner

Can someone confirm the above is an M60A3?
Neil

It's an A3. Main item I would go by is the cross-wind sensor mast near the left rear of the turret roof. Main gun also has a thermal shroud which should add a second item to the 'it's an A3' call.

My 2 cents,
Sgt, Scouts Out!

-> AFV News Discussion Board