Merkava in Germany
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Merkava in Germany Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:54 pm
    ----
I was told today at work that in an armour magazine was a picture of a Merkava mk.2 in the Panzer museum in Germany.

Does someone know something about this, when it arrived?

When I have a little spare time at gunnery training in Bergen next week I will take a look and let you know more.

When true this is the third Merkava in Europe (one in the Czech republic and one in Saumur, France.

Regards,
Lesley

#2: Re: Merkava in Germany Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:09 pm
    ----
Is the Saumur one still there? Could be the same one...

Neil

#3: Re: Merkava in Germany Author: T13b1(be)Location: belgium PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:38 pm
    ----
yes indeed in the panzer museum of Munster is from the start of 2007 a Merkava I

www.rommelkiste.de/index.html

have a look at neuigkeiten and there it is

#4: Re: Merkava in Germany Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:59 am
    ----
Thanks! I will try to make some photo's (and the serial and registrationnumber) next week!

Regards,
Lesley

#5: Re: Merkava in Germany Author: jtrowbridge5 PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:19 pm
    ----
just got back from saumur with loads of photos of their mk1 will post as soon as possible
Dennis

#6: Re: Merkava in Germany Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:43 am
    ----
Thanks,
I just visited the Panzer museum and indeed they have a Merkava mk.1 with Israeli registrationnumber 830057.

The nice part was that the hatch in the back of the hull was open so we could enter the vehicle.

What surprised me was that there are three languages used in this tank, Hebrew, English and German. For example the intercom system was in German, the instruments on the rights side of the driver in Hebrew and English. Firewall / bulkhead (right name?) in English and so on.

Also the so called space for infantry in the back. I had to crawl on my knees in and out and didn't have any equipment with me. Also the space were they suppose to sit???? Also the less taller soldiers with me could not sit there. To me personally it looked more like a escape hatch and nice storage for equipement for the tank or crew.

All FCS electronics, radio, and optics were taken out of this tank.

I looked for a dataplate with type, factory number / constructionnumber in the tank but could not find a plate with such info. Someone who know were this is. Next week I go there again and can check it. (if they not close the hull hatch........)

Regards,
Lesley

#7: Re: Merkava in Germany Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:53 pm
    ----
Hi Lesley! Hi Folks!

- L.Delsing

The nice part was that the hatch in the back of the hull was open so we could enter the vehicle.

Also the so called space for infantry in the back. I had to crawl on my knees in and out and didn't have any equipment with me. Also the space were they suppose to sit???? Also the less taller soldiers with me could not sit there. To me personally it looked more like a escape hatch and nice storage for equipement for the tank or crew.
Lesley

The Merkava's space for four dismounts has caused a lot of confusion ever sense that vehicle was first displayed. Having never been in one, little lone seen a real one, it is my understanding the the main gun ammo racks fold up. The more racks that are folded up, the more room is made for up to a max of four individuals. The down side is for each rack that is folded up, that reduces the number of main guns that can be stored.

Lesley, with this idea in mind, did that Merkava look like it had racks of some type that could be folded up by the rear hatch?

Sgt, Scouts out!

#8: Re: Merkava in Germany Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 4:21 pm
    ----
Its been a while but IIRC the Merkava has ammunition bins each side of that hatch that can be easily removed making space for personnel/casualties.

Cool

#9: Re: Merkava in Germany Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:43 pm
    ----
I have taken photos from those ''seats''. I will make them smaller and attach them to a message here. To me it looked that the ''seats'' were some sort of ammo storage bin. I could not find an ammo bunker as on the M1 and Leo2. Also no racks on the turretfloor as in the leo1.

Regards,
Lesley

#10: Re: Merkava in Germany Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:14 pm
    ----
Here a photo from the inside

#11: Re: Merkava in Germany Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:16 pm
    ----
Driver

#12: Re: Merkava in Germany Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:17 pm
    ----
Gunner controls, all electronics are removed

#13: Re: Merkava in Germany Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:19 pm
    ----
Area above the gunner controls

#14: Re: Merkava in Germany Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:20 pm
    ----
Firewall between engine and fighting compartment

#15: Re: Merkava in Germany Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:22 pm
    ----
One of the seats/ammo storage. In front is the loaders seat.

-> AFV News Discussion Board