Something Different..
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Something Different.. Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:10 am
    ----
Okay - Which person would you most like to have met who was involved in the AFV World and why?

Cool

#2: Re: Something Different.. Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:47 am
    ----
Jacques Littlefield. He has the most toys Smile

#3: Re: Something Different.. Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:49 am
    ----
Hi Jim! Hi Folks!

- JimWeb

Okay - Which person would you most like to have met who was involved in the AFV World and why?
Cool

I would say General Abrams.

Why? He was a tank commander back during the early days of the US Armored units, went through WWII, and ended up as Chief of Staff of the Army. It was because of him, me and other 11Ds (how called 19Ds) went from fighting with the M114 to the M113 which would let us do our jobs.

My pick.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#4: Re: Something Different.. Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:59 am
    ----
Tough question

I can think of several on several levels but I'm down to two

Col Jarrett - who really created the collection at Aberdeen. I have so many questions (Including Green Tigers) that I think it would be interesting to hear his insight on

or Major Robert Crisp - Author of Brazen Chariots. I always wished we had a follow on to that.

Of course I may change based on names that come up from other folks (or I may rethink the question

#5: Re: Something Different.. Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:17 am
    ----
Hi everyone,

MSG Kouma, Medal of Honor recipient, Korean war, 72nd Armor. Just to listen to him and learn first hand what it was like when he was there.

SGT Poole , US Army Tank ace of WWII, same reasons

Any WW I Tank veteran, especially those who served on the Larger Mark Series. Same reasons

The fellows who designed the M256 120mm Breech and block. So I can ask them what their un-orthodox thought process was when making such a Non-Soldier proof device. Evil or Very Mad Then tell them a thing or two.

Joe D

#6: Re: Something Different.. Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:31 pm
    ----
My two choices
Rommel for operational thoughts and Walter Christie for innovative design ideas

Jeff Lewis

#7: Re: Something Different.. Author: DirkLocation: South Africa PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:06 pm
    ----
Guderian & Patton.

IMO two of the best Armoured Warfare strategists in WWII.

#8: Re: Something Different.. Author: rynokiLocation: Australia PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:02 am
    ----
Who? Erich von Manstein

Why? His "What if's" on combat on the eastern front.

#9: Re: Something Different.. Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:57 am
    ----
There are leaders, designers and fighters that come to mind.

FF Worthington because he was a larger than life character before, during and after he formed the Canadian Armoured Corps);

Mr. Christie - not the cookier maker - but the visionary designer. Pick a wartime or postwar tank that was not influenced by his ideas;

Col (Retd) Radley-Walters, not only because he was an old comrade from the same militia unit as me, but he was a combat leader and commander who skill at arms was only matched by the trust and faith his men gave him;

Guderian and Rommel were excellent generals, but so were Monty and Patton.

#10: Re: Something Different.. Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:27 am
    ----
dirk already mentioned the 2 on the top of my list! patton would be one man i would like to meet under pleasant circumstances. roy mentioned abrams. i would like to meet him and other "famous" personalities, but only when they were junior grades as they were at the start of the careers during ww2, etc. live and learn with abrams as a captain/major racing across france in his "thunderbolt" would be great!
as far as europeans, there are many a good brits and ruskies, but the germans take the prize. guderian, manstein, rommel but more importantly i would like to meet Herr Wittman!!!
shawn

#11: Re: Something Different.. Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:13 pm
    ----
Quite an interesting Poll !!!

Responses are additionally quite thought provoking...

My response.....

1) Gen Abrams
2) Walter Christie & The THE US Ordnance committee who rejected his designs (What the F*** Guys?!)
3) Michael Wittman & 'Bobby' Woll
(Together, for the "Commander / Gunner" perspective)

Don

#12: Re: Something Different.. Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:26 am
    ----
GEN McNair, the Chief of Army Ground Forces during WW2, just to let him know he was the greatest idiot in US Army armor/mechanized history.

-> AFV News Discussion Board