quick question
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: quick question Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 7:25 pm
    ----
Can anyone tell me the proper nomenclature for the surfboard on the front of an M117? Thanks in advance

Jeff Lewis

#2: Re: quick question Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:29 pm
    ----
An M117 7-ton Semi-Trailer Chassis? I suspect not - you mean an M113 or M114? I think its called a bow plane...

Neil

#3: Re: quick question Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:49 pm
    ----
Thanks Neil
my oops, meant M114, is bow plane proper name?

Jeff Lewis

#4: Re: quick question Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:48 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

- piney
Thanks Neil
my oops, meant M114, is bow plane proper name?
Jeff Lewis

It's been to long sense I have seen a 'Lingle' TM. I remember always calling it, along with the one on a M113, a surfboard. If I remember right, the proper name for the M113's is "Trim Vane".

One thing I remember the M114 could do was drive off a short river bank at high speed and dive into the water. If the surf board was not extended, or locked down, the vehicle would nose dive to the bottom. With it extended and LOCKED down, the nose would rise up and keep the vehicle level.

Never done that, never known any Scouts (11Ds) who ever did. After seeing what the Main River could do to M113s, I sure didn't care for the idea of putting a 'Lingle' in a German river.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#5: Re: quick question Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 7:28 am
    ----
I'm with Roy. Those are the same things I called it.

-> AFV News Discussion Board