Engineer Stryker
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Engineer Stryker Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:22 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

Found this photo of an Engineer Squad Stryker over at the US Army web sit. Looks like the crew has set the camo net up to cover most if not all of the top side.

I wonder what the function of the old tire is? Speaking of tires, check out the second tire from the front, looks like it might be flat.
Sgt, Scouts out!

#2: Re: Engineer Stryker Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:22 am
    ----
My first thought was that the tire was there to create a 'push point', the same as i have seen them used for on equipment at construction sites. but it seems inset with the bar ormor on either side. Then I wondered if it was meant to create a contact point for the rear door when it is lowered instead of dropping the door directly on the ground.

And I don't think there is any 'might be' on the second tire. I think they're waiting for the auto club to come change it Laughing

#3: Re: Engineer Stryker Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:59 am
    ----
Hi Bob! Hi Folks!

- bsmart
My first thought was that the tire was there to create a 'push point', the same as i have seen them used for on equipment at construction sites. but it seems inset with the bar ormor on either side. Then I wondered if it was meant to create a contact point for the rear door when it is lowered instead of dropping the door directly on the ground.

I was thinking 'push point' also, but then I wouldn't think the bar armor would stand up to something like. Your right about the ramp bar armor being inset some.

As of ground contact, look up above the tire and you will see two square dirt colored items. Those are feet (?) that set down onto ground when the ramp is lowered. I think those feet (or what ever they are called) protect the bar armor from the weight of the ramp when it goes down.

Waiting on the auto club? Laughing
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#4: Re: Engineer Stryker Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:30 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Bob! Hi Folks!

As of ground contact, look up above the tire and you will see two square dirt colored items. Those are feet (?) that set down onto ground when the ramp is lowered. I think those feet (or what ever they are called) protect the bar armor from the weight of the ramp when it goes down.

Waiting on the auto club? Laughing
Sgt, Scouts Out!

I hadn't remembered about the 'feet'. But it may be they have found that the feet sometimes end up in low points (ruts) or soft spots and the tire provides some extra cushioning/spreading the weight if that happens. But again these are only guesses.

#5: Re: Engineer Stryker Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:08 pm
    ----
- bsmart
And I don't think there is any 'might be' on the second tire. I think they're waiting for the auto club to come change it Laughing

There is a current tyre shortage apparently along with an ongoing ammunition shortage if the current news from my contacts is to be believed.

I think I read somewhere that ammunition plants in the USA have gone on double-time to ease the situation?

Cool

#6: Re: Engineer Stryker Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:20 pm
    ----
- JimWeb
- bsmart

There is a current tyre shortage apparently along with an ongoing ammunition shortage if the current news from my contacts is to be believed.

I think I read somewhere that ammunition plants in the USA have gone on double-time to ease the situation?

Cool

Postscript: Just did a little reading through the senate committee minutes... There are no pre-positioned stocks of equipment left in Europe, the Middle east or on Diego Garcia - they have all been burned up. The only Pre-po stocks left are in Korea and on Guam.

Apparently near 40% of the items in spares stocks inside Iraq are at 'zero' holdings ie none left...

This is somewhat reminiscent of a few years ago...

Time someone lost their job I think...

Cool

#7: Re: Engineer Stryker Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:23 pm
    ----
The second tire on the right side is flat. Every one is talking about spare spare tires. Do I win the prize? I also noticed the Stay Back signs and the two square shapes on the rear upper corners.

There aren't many places to carry the spare tire, except on the ramp. The door isn't quite as big as the M113 (AFAIR), and the hinge is fairly high. I don't know if it ever a good idea to bump push a high-tech armoured vehicle.

#8: Re: Engineer Stryker Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:59 am
    ----
Hi Maple! Hi Folks!

- Maple_Leaf_Eh

I also noticed the Stay Back signs and the two square shapes on the rear upper corners.

Those two square shapes are boxes which hold lane markers. That's is what marks that Styrker as an Engineer Squad vehicle.

- Maple_Leaf_Eh

There aren't many places to carry the spare tire, except on the ramp.

That tire on the ramp doesn't look like a it would fit a Stryker. Looks more like a car tire to me. I have noticed a number of Strykers with a spare laying on top the hull.
This is a photo Joe D posted sometime time back of a TOW Stryker. That flat area over the winch drums looks like a good spot for large items.

Here is another Army Web site photo of a Recon Stryker with an extra tire just in front of the turret. Possible laying on the cover for the winch.

- Maple_Leaf_Eh

I don't know if it ever a good idea to bump push a high-tech armoured vehicle.

Normally one would never bump push an AFV with another one. However when all 'HE double LL' is breaking lose around you and there is a need to move a vehicle that has lost something in the power train, the vehicle behind it MUST bump push so both vehicles can get out of the kill zone. It will damage both vehicles and old tires do help reduce the amount of damage. In the case of a Stryker with bar armor, I don't think one old tire will protect the bar armor. Anyway, while I was thinking it might be a bumper for a push, I just don't see it. Which goes back to my first question, why did they take the trouble to tie an old tire to the ramp?

Sgt, Scouts Out!

Last edited by Roy_A_Lingle on Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total

#9: Re: Engineer Stryker Author: LavTech PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:53 pm
    ----
Hi All,

The tires on the rear ramp are to soften the ramp when it is lowered.
But not in fear of damage to the ramp or the bar, but in reality it is to make it quiet. Strykers are known as ghosts to the insurgents due to their
quiet running and speed. At night when troops move in on raids they roll up and drop the ramp, it would normally bang down on a road hard surface etc.. but the old car tire as seen, makes it drop without noise.

lavtech

#10: Re: Engineer Stryker Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:19 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
just in front of the turret. Possible laying on the cover for the wench.

Blimey - they even have a cover for one of those on a Stryker. Amazing what these modern afvs have installed as standard these days Wink

Cool

-> AFV News Discussion Board