FTP server software
-> Software

#1: FTP server software Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:32 pm
    ----
Working away from home you can guarantee the piece of software I need is at home on the desktop computer.

So, I'm going to fit a NAS drive about 500Gig on the network for several reasons, my sons need access to software I write for them on occasion, I'm thinking about serving a web site from home and lastly to set up an FTP server to give me access to my files while I'm away.

I've been reading about the Ability server for windows which sounds like it provides enough security or Globalscapes Cute FTP server.

Gotta be windows based unfortunately.

There are some NAS drives available with built in FTP servers but I believe they are quite basic and not a very flexible configuration.

Good FTP server suggestions are most welcome...

#2: Re: FTP server software Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:03 pm
    ----
filezilla.sourceforge.net/ Wink

Good, reliable and free...lol (Did I mention I like FREE?..lol)

#3: Re: FTP server software Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:30 pm
    ----
Thanks Bush, had a read, had a download and had a fight with XP's firewall...I won...lol

Okey Dokey then...

I need a few people to give it a test, mainly to see if it works Shocked . It does from the LAN side but need the WAN side testing.

There's only one filespace with a few silly pics in there about 40K each. Please feel free to download them or upload a file, delete it afterwards if you wish, just to get some impression of speed.

Log on as anonymous IP 81.107.54.112 normal port 21

It'll be up for a few hours tonight.

It's running on a slow computer at the moment but if it works OK then I'll make it more permanent.

I thank you.

#4: Re: FTP server software Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:54 pm
    ----
Hmmm connection not established because host failed to respond! But I get that also on Bush's FTP. I can connect to ccstaff but not the iso....go figure....lol. Dang Murphy Evil or Very Mad .

#5: Re: FTP server software Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:06 pm
    ----
Homey, Murphy didn't get you this time, I've 'redone' the access to ISO. (OK, maybe Murphy got 'ya, I told him to tell you...lol) Kidding of course! I need to get you the new access codes... Wink

Kit, I can 'hit' the server, but can't connect. I'm suspecting a firewall/permissions issue or perhaps you didn't set a 'home' folder to access?

#6: Re: FTP server software Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:58 pm
    ----
Thanks for trying guys.

I had it working earlier...lol

I could connect through the LAN and if I disabled the network and dialled out to the internet I could connect through the external IP address.

Must have cocked it up during the final tweak.

I made a folder on C: drive ftp for want of a better name and set up an anonymous account with that folder as it's home folder with read/write and delete privileges.

I'll have another play tomorrow.

Thanks for trying.

#7: Re: FTP server software Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:48 am
    ----
- Kitform
Log on as anonymous IP 81.107.54.112 normal port 21

Could you please all have another test, should be working now Smile

I'll leave it running for most of the day while I sort another 'box' out for it.

#8: Re: FTP server software Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:23 am
    ----
Success!!!

#9: Re: FTP server software Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:53 pm
    ----
Excellent, thanks Bushy.

Once I get the computer sorted that's going to run 24/7 I'll be able to upload all my software on it and never be stuck again when working away from home.

Don't ya just love it when things work...LOL

#10: Re: FTP server software Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:54 pm
    ----
LOL, Yep, I sure do!

That's one of very same reasons I started one too and of course the other reason is.... Uhm....

#11: Re: FTP server software Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:11 am
    ----
That's the easy bit sorted...:)

Now I need a HTTP server. I run a web page for my local gun club, it's currently hosted on the web space my ISP allocates me, I need to serve the pages from home now to allow one or two members admin type access to the site for content update and such.

I just need simple server software (at first), the only page that changes on a weekly basis are the weekend scores.

I've been looking at Xampp from soundforge for two reasons, it has the FTP software that I've just installed and a HTTP server all in one package and it seems very popular.

Anyone used it before ?

What's the difference between xampp-win32-1.6.2.exe and xampp-win32-1.6.2-installer.exe. I can't find any notes with an explanation.

XAMPP Link here

#12: Re: FTP server software Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:06 am
    ----
XAMPP is good if for interactive sites that would require a database. Another good choice (and easier IMO) is Phperl. A bit of caution for using a package install is to turn off the Mail server options.

Good basic HTML servers are, Abyss or Xitami. They can use PHP, Apache, Perl and MySql, but don't have them in their 'package'. Wink

#13: Re: FTP server software Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:32 am
    ----
Thanks Bush,

I'm looking at the Abyss server, looks simple and quite straight forward. Shocked

#14: Re: FTP server software Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:42 pm
    ----
Downloaded Abyss, installed on to temp computer just to test it...Within 3 minutes the web site was available on the lan network,

Just gotta sort the DNS side out now to get it on the world wide web.

But...

Damn work always gets in the way...LOL

As an aside, I built a server computer for the web and ftp servers, fitted the hard drives, cpu, memory etc...Went for a graphics card out of the 'old cardboard box' WHAT...I remember having a clear out a couple of weeks ago...Damn, damn, damn.

LOL, no graphics card, only an agp one that won't fit the PCI slot no matter how hard I hit it. Evil or Very Mad

#15: Re: FTP server software Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:06 pm
    ----
ROFL Kit...One word comes to mind... "DOH!"....lol

-> Software