OPFOR tank at Ft Hood in 1959...
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: OPFOR tank at Ft Hood in 1959... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:06 am
    ----
Found this picture on display at the Ft Hood / Killeen celebration. I was thinking it was possibly the early days of the Armor Test Board where Doug worked, haha. I really like the helmets as well!

#2: Re: OPFOR tank at Ft Hood in 1959... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:58 am
    ----
Not completely a joke, Jeff. Ft. Hood is where the test operations were conducted after the Armor Board closed at Ft. Knox. (but not back in '59 as far as I know).

"On November 20, 1991, as part of a further reorganization of TEXCOM, the TEXCOM Armor and Engineer Board was split into two separate Boards and transferred from Fort Knox, Kentucky, to Fort Hood, Texas. The Armor Board was established as the Armor Test Directorate and the Engineer Board was combined with elements of the TCATA Training and Support Systems Test Directorate to form a new organization designated as the Engineer and Combat Support Test Directorate.
On October 1, 1999, TEXCOM was renamed the United States Army Operational Test Command (USAOTC) and the Engineer and Combat Support Test Directorate is part of this newly named organization. We are currently located on the first floor of Henson Hall, on West Fort Hood, Texas."

Whether this still holds true I have no idea...

#3: Re: OPFOR tank at Ft Hood in 1959... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:46 am
    ----
Perhaps Jeff could check this out?

Neil

#4: Re: OPFOR tank at Ft Hood in 1959... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:07 am
    ----
It looks like a still from an Ed Wood movie ("Plan 9 from Krasnovia"...or something). Laughing

#5: Re: OPFOR tank at Ft Hood in 1959... Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:20 am
    ----
While the helmets look laughable, that is the way opponents helmets were always drawn in Army trainng manuals back then, so it's consistant with that practice.

Jeff Lewis

#6: Re: OPFOR tank at Ft Hood in 1959... Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:09 pm
    ----
Did the agressor force all have bad backs as well?

Cool

#7: Re: OPFOR tank at Ft Hood in 1959... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:26 pm
    ----
Do you suppose that is a jeep or scout car under the mock-up?

#8: Re: OPFOR tank at Ft Hood in 1959... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:42 pm
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
Do you suppose that is a jeep or scout car under the mock-up?

Looks small for a scout car.

#9: Re: OPFOR tank at Ft Hood in 1959... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:43 pm
    ----
Neil,
I have a good friend, a Major, that works with OTC and just returned from 6 months in the big sandbox doing evals. He's on leave right now but once he gets back, I'll hit him up about this. Maybe I can get in there and see some interesting stuff!?!?!

#10: Re: OPFOR tank at Ft Hood in 1959... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:53 pm
    ----
Cool, its more for Doug than for me - but I'm sure all would appreciate...

Neil

#11: Re: OPFOR tank at Ft Hood in 1959... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:01 pm
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
Neil,
I have a good friend, a Major, that works with OTC and just returned from 6 months in the big sandbox doing evals. He's on leave right now but once he gets back, I'll hit him up about this. Maybe I can get in there and see some interesting stuff!?!?!

I wonder what archives might have been transferred (if any) from the old Board to Hood? Maybe you can ask him to check around? I'd sure love to poke into any old test project records I might have been involved in (they'd be WAY out of restricted clearance or of any interest other than historical now, so no worries there). I know the pics are at Knox, but the records are who-knows-where.

#12: Re: OPFOR tank at Ft Hood in 1959... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:51 pm
    ----
You afraid that some of your past transgresions may come to light? Rolling Eyes

#13: Re: OPFOR tank at Ft Hood in 1959... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:06 pm
    ----
- bsmart
You afraid that some of your past transgresions may come to light? Rolling Eyes

Hopeful that they might! (I'd love to peek into, say, the LRF, M60A1"Hotpants", or the motherload, M60A2 IPT test project files). I can think of a few others, like the 2.2kw searchlight or the camoflage stuff. Gas particulate system and helmets would be boring.

#14: Re: OPFOR tank at Ft Hood in 1959... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:05 pm
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
Found this picture on display at the Ft Hood / Killeen celebration. I was thinking it was possibly the early days of the Armor Test Board where Doug worked, haha. I really like the helmets as well!

BTW, any guesses as to what this is supposed to be simulating? One guess I had was an M10 tank destroyer of all things - although right now I am thinking a T-34? Which would be an odd choice...

Neil

#15: Re: OPFOR tank at Ft Hood in 1959... Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:09 pm
    ----
Probably a T-34 oh and according to the MV experts the vehicle underneath is an M38 - something to do with the shackles positioning on the front bumper

BTW anyone looked at the shadows in the image?

Cool

-> AFV News Discussion Board