M60 MBT Briffing at Ft. Bliss!
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M60 MBT Briffing at Ft. Bliss! Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:53 pm
    ----
Hi Folks!

While some of you CIA types have been getting together with Bob S at APG and some of you CIA types have been able to get together at Ft. Knox with Don M, not every one has been available to attend.

So, two of us CIA types have did our own thing here at Ft. Bliss/El Paso yesterday (Monday June 4)!

Mr. M60 was in the area for a bit less than 48 hours and took out a few hours to conduct a walk around examination of Ft. Bliss' M60A0. Joe was very kind and pointed out a large number of details about the old gal and explained a number of changes the M60 series went throught over the years. Disspite a number of broken torsion bars, the old gal is not missing a lot of detail items!

i41.photobucket.com/al...Center.jpg

After picking up a pizza and some drinks we relocated to my primary base of operations. We spent a number of hours talking about all things armored and Joe took some time to show me his M60 data base and some of the pictures he had taken during his time in the 'great sand box'.
Joe is great CIA member and I wish to say "THANKS" for stopping by SIR. You folks up Ft. Knox way, keep your eyes open for him, he hopes to get up that way after leave.
I haven't had that much fun in a long time!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

P.S. I am on the look out for CIA member Thumbleweed. So far he has not tumbled into the A.O. and linked up yet. I am sure he is a bit busy right now. Also, it might be a little bit before Joe D is able to take time to re-join us CIA types.

Last edited by Roy_A_Lingle on Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: M60 MBT Briffing at Ft. Bliss! Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:09 pm
    ----
Joe_D is back home

I knew he had said he was coming back to the world but when we didn't hear from him I started wondering if he was enroute.

Welcome Home

#3: Re: M60 MBT Briffing at Ft. Bliss! Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:49 pm
    ----
I'm trying to figure out the bumper number. It's Third Corp (III) but what about the 31X? I was thinking 31st Armor Brigade Commander's tank???

#4: Re: M60 MBT Briffing at Ft. Bliss! Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:56 am
    ----
Hi Mark! Hi Folks!

- MarkHolloway

I'm trying to figure out the bumper number. It's Third Corp (III) but what about the 31X? I was thinking 31st Armor Brigade Commander's tank???

III = 3rd Corps
3 = 3rd Armored Cav
1 = who knows
X = Regt.

It should be a 3rd ACR vehicle sense there never was a 31st Armored Brigade stationed at Ft. Bliss. But then the 3rd ACR never used M60A0s while at Ft. Bliss.

Someone made a mistake.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#5: Re: M60 MBT Briffing at Ft. Bliss! Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:13 am
    ----
It's a made up bumper number. the 31st ADA Bde is located there. Their soldiers most likely painted it and placed the unit bumper markings on it.

#6: Re: M60 MBT Briffing at Ft. Bliss! Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:22 am
    ----
I think Sabot is on to something! Damn duck hunters! Twisted Evil Roy, we gotta do something about this. When I moved to Bliss with the 3d ACR in '72 the bumper numbers were " 5A 3ACR - B11". That's a B Troop M114 Scout from 1st platoon. I guess right now the Regimental Commander would be "III 3ACR - HQ66". (?)

Last edited by MarkHolloway on Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

#7: Re: M60 MBT Briffing at Ft. Bliss! Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:14 pm
    ----
Roy

Thanks for the Joe D Spot Report.

I know he's 'Planet Knox' bound. He also has an event scheduled for a 'reunion' of sorts, in the future. Mr. Green

Glad to hear he's on this side of the pond.

BTW: is that the old PX parking lot? Confused Looks familiar from days gone by.... Wink

Don

#8: Re: M60 MBT Briffing at Ft. Bliss! Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:13 pm
    ----
Hi Don! Hi Folks!

- Dontos

BTW: is that the old PX parking lot? Confused Looks familiar from days gone by.... Wink
Don

That is correct! The old museum moved into the Gen. Terry Allen PX building after a new one was build on the next block over where the old Hawk Missile Warrent Officer training area was.

Hey Mark, I too must agree with SABOT. I wasn't even thinking about Duck Hunters. 31st ADA Bde! I just figured the folks who painted it, didn't know the correct lay out for the the 3rd ACR. I am sure when the 1st AD starts filling up the new buildings around here that old gal will start getting some TLC.

The old 3rd ACR Headquartes building is empty again. Joe D and I drove by last Monday and the 3rd Corps Bde ADA HQ unit that had been using that building was gone.
This BRAC is crazy. During the last one, all the state side Patriot Missile Battalions were move here making Ft Bliss the 'Home of Patriot'. Under this BRAC, the 3rd Corps elements are returning to Ft. Hood and the 18th Airborne Corps elements are returning to Ft. Bragg.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

-> AFV News Discussion Board