Does anyone know the location of a early M3 Stuart
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Does anyone know the location of a early M3 Stuart Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:53 pm
    ----
Does anyone know the location of a early M3 Stuart (British StuartI)? NOT the one with the riveted turret, nor the one with the cast/welded rounded turret. The one I am looking for has a welded slab sided turret. These were used in the Philippine Campaign and North Africa. This picture came from British and American Tanks of WWII page 88 bottom, also anyone have a better picture?

#2: Re: Does anyone know the location of a early M3 Stuart Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:28 pm
    ----
Aberdeen Proving Ground certainly has an early Stuart "Honey." Its actually the M3A1 pilot. According to Tank Data and the Ordnance Museum Guide CD it is "missing many parts, [but] is identical to the type issued to British armored units via Lend-Lease in 1941."

There was also this M3A1 Stuart at the Virginia Museum of Military Vehicles a few years back.

Of course Bovington has one - albeit in Brazilian colors.

Neil

Last edited by Neil_Baumgardner on Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:08 pm; edited 2 times in total

#3: Re: Does anyone know the location of a early M3 Stuart Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:35 pm
    ----
Niel, nope thats not the type, NOT the one with the riveted turret, nor the one with the cast/welded rounded turret the one I'm looking for has flat plate steel panels welded together. I think they might be quite rare.....

#4: Re: Does anyone know the location of a early M3 Stuart Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:38 pm
    ----
Okay, try the two others I just added to that post... Do you have a better picture to compare against?

Neil

#5: Re: Does anyone know the location of a early M3 Stuart Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:46 pm
    ----
sorry that the best picture i have. it has a hexagon plate steel cupola that appears to be 6 to 8 inches high. do you have a copy of British and American Tanks of WWII? second paragraph on page 88 describes it. I've look at everything i have but i don't have a picture of one

#6: Re: Does anyone know the location of a early M3 Stuart Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:49 pm
    ----
i lied here's anther pic from Concord "Tank Battles of the Pacific War 1941-1945" is this picture of Japanese-captured M3s taken from the Americans on Bataan. Note the slab-sided turrets, and distinctive hexagonal-shaped commander's cupola

#7: Re: Does anyone know the location of a early M3 Stuart Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:54 pm
    ----
Closest picture I have is of an M3 Stuart in storage at Fort Knox that has a riveted turret with that kind of cupola...

According to the G103 folks (from last year), the M3A1 Stuart at the Veterans Memorial Museum in Huntsville has a welded D38976 hexagonal turret (one of 100 produced).

Neil

Last edited by Neil_Baumgardner on Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

#8: Re: Does anyone know the location of a early M3 Stuart Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:58 pm
    ----
who is G103?

#9: Re: Does anyone know the location of a early M3 Stuart Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:02 pm
    ----
A Yahoo Group dedicated to Stuart tanks:
groups.yahoo.com/group/G103/

Neil

#10: Re: Does anyone know the location of a early M3 Stuart Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:25 pm
    ----
thanks i think i posted over there

#11: Re: Does anyone know the location of a early M3 Stuart Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:56 am
    ----
AJ2

I'm not sure but there are a number of Stuarts in Richardson MP.

I think we have 2 of the early models as well as several others, M3 & M5 versions.

One (of the early models) is in decent condition, and there was talk (a couple of years ago, when it arrived) of restoring it with USMC markings, since it was the type that was used in the Pacific Theater.

Guess this really gives you justification for missing the F-1 in Indy, On Saturday... Cool

Don

#12: Re: Does anyone know the location of a early M3 Stuart Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:19 am
    ----
Here's one of them - but its a riveted turret.

Neil

#13: Re: Does anyone know the location of a early M3 Stuart Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:39 am
    ----
neil, that is the one, see how the plates are welded together on the sides...I think thats it. where is that?

#14: Re: Does anyone know the location of a early M3 Stuart Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:22 am
    ----
Oh, I guess I thought it wasnt supposed to have any rivets on the turret...

That one is in storage at Richardson Motorpool at Fort Knox. I believe that's SN 158.

Neil

#15: Re: Does anyone know the location of a early M3 Stuart Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:12 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Here's one of them - but its a riveted turret.

Neil

Thats one of the ones I was thinking about. It is indeed in Richardson M.P.

BTW: That is original bumper # and unit designation.

Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board