Scenes around Ft. Knox - pics #4
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Scenes around Ft. Knox - pics #4 Author: A-109ELocation: Minneapolis PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:01 pm
    ----
Some wheeled softskins this time:

M1 motor park. Awesome.

Seen at a training area on the east side of Wilson Road:

Located east of Wilson Road with the Engineers:

#2: Re: Scenes around Ft. Knox - pics #4 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:41 pm
    ----
Is that the M578 located at 16th and 26th Cavalry Dr, or another location?

Neil

#3: Re: Scenes around Ft. Knox - pics #4 Author: A-109ELocation: Minneapolis PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:41 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Is that the M578 located at 16th and 26th Cavalry Dr, or another location?

Neil

The 578 is located on the SE corner of the intersection of 15th Cavalry Drive and 26th Cavalry Drive. Probably the one you're thinking of.

#4: Re: Scenes around Ft. Knox - pics #4 Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:24 am
    ----
Hi Bob (A-109)! Hi Folks!

Again, Thank you for the photos!

- A-109E

That M-60 machine gun and the mount between it and the base is wrong for the M114A0.

That version of the M-60 machine gun was not issued to M114A0s or, AFAIK, any other version of the M114. For most of their service, the A0 models carried the old 30 cal. machine guns.

The gun mount under it should be a M-172 (something like that). What someone has done is taken a M113 ACAV side M-60 gun shield, cut the mount out of it and welded it to the top of the base.

Making do in combat with what you have is one thing, cutting parts for display on a vehicle that never used those parts along with later versions of equipment is wrong. It would be better if there was no M-60 machine gun. Save the gun for a display that would be correct for it's service.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#5: Re: Scenes around Ft. Knox - pics #4 Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:36 am
    ----
Roy,

Don't be such an ol' fuddy-duddy. Laughing

(I know, the mount is different, and the M60 version is an earlier one...jus' kiddin')

#6: Re: Scenes around Ft. Knox - pics #4 Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:15 am
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
Roy,

Don't be such an ol' fuddy-duddy. Laughing

At my age, I am an OLD fuddy-duddy! Laughing
At least your photo has the correct gun mount (M-142) and the correct M-60 machine gun. Now if you only had a can of ammo, you would be ready to rock and roll!

I see that's a M114A2! The one with the M139 20mm! Love to fire that thing. Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#7: Re: Scenes around Ft. Knox - pics #4 Author: A-109ELocation: Minneapolis PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:28 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Bob (A-109)! Hi Folks!

Again, Thank you for the photos!

You're more than welcome, Roy. It's great fun being able to share these with the cognoscenti. My wife just isn't that interested. Rolling Eyes

Besides, I have a selfish reason: I'm learning a great deal from the comments and additional information the photos generate. Smile

-> AFV News Discussion Board