What"s the Budge collection?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: What"s the Budge collection? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:38 am
    ----
What"s the Budge collection and which vehicles do they have?

Pierre-Olivier

#2: Re: What"s the Budge collection? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:41 am
    ----
I believe the Budge collection was broken up several years ago. I don't think I know any of the details but it was supposedly a very good private collection (In Belguim?) That fell on hard times and was sold to others or the junk man

#3: Re: What"s the Budge collection? Author: jtrowbridge5 PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:14 am
    ----
The collection broke up about 10 years ago[I think] most of the tanks were acquired by Bob Fleming a lot of the collection found its way to the states, the only photos I have seen are the ones in my albums.
Dennis

community.webshots.com...5?start=42

#4: Re: What"s the Budge collection? Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:25 pm
    ----
After looking at Dennis' Budge pics, I recognize many of the vehicles that are now in Jacques Littlefield's collection.

Also, some of the Budge vehicles are now located at the Virginia Museum of Military Vehicles: www.vmmv.org

#5: Re: What"s the Budge collection? Author: T13b1(be)Location: belgium PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:06 pm
    ----
indeed more then 10 years ago the collection was broken up.
Something that I remember was that there where some disputes between the museum and the regional government and so the owner decided to put a end to his museum.
It is a real shame because there where some very unique vehicles in that collection and most off them went indeed to the US but not everything.
Some vehicles did stay in Belgium like the high speed tractor and his 8'inch howitzer who are know at the royal army museum and is kept in running condition by the volunteers of the tank museum

#6: Re: What"s the Budge collection? Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:24 pm
    ----
- bsmart
I believe the Budge collection was broken up several years ago. I don't think I know any of the details but it was supposedly a very good private collection (In Belguim?) That fell on hard times and was sold to others or the junk man

Harrumph...

Mixing apples and oranges again is not going to make a decent cobbler. Laughing

The collection in Belgium was the "Victory Museum" at Arlon, a lot of their exhibits wound up in Virginia- unfortunately a major share of the exhibited vehicles were (re)creations by the owner, using parts from post-war vehicles, paper maché and an overactive imagination... The museum was always badly lit and featured a lot of shadows for exactly this reason Cool - still it was an experience. CRAFT syndrom kicking in, have to look the guy's name up.

As for the Budge collection, may I direct you gentlemen to the 2004 entry for the Bart Vanderveen Memorial Trophy, scroll down to about the center of the page:

www.afterthebattle.com/bartmem.htm

Jens O.

#7: Re: What"s the Budge collection? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:10 pm
    ----
I thought the 'Victory Museum' ended up in Auburn Indiana?

#8: Re: What"s the Budge collection? Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:59 am
    ----
- bsmart

D'oh!

Yeah, you're right, it did- I was so confused by the Budge's alleged location in Belgium that I mixed and matched further... Seems like I have no good recipe for cobbler either.

Anybody good a good deal on a brain-compatible memory chip? Rolling Eyes

Jens O.

#9: Re: What"s the Budge collection? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:10 am
    ----
- Jens_O_Mehner
- bsmart

D'oh!

Yeah, you're right, it did- I was so confused by the Budge's alleged location in Belgium that I mixed and matched further... Seems like I have no good recipe for cobbler either.

Anybody good a good deal on a brain-compatible memory chip? Rolling Eyes

Jens O.

Hey, thats what the forum is for. Our collective memory is better than what any of us can do individually. We each contribute our knowledge and ideas, mix it with everyone elses and come up with the real answer.

Of course it may not work for
1) Green Tigers in North Africa
2) Panthers in Vietnam
3) Chassis numbers v serial numbers on T95s [A new neverending question ]

#10: Re: What"s the Budge collection? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:08 am
    ----
Hi Bob (F15)! Hi Folks!

- bsmart

Hey, thats what the forum is for. Our collective memory is better than what any of us can do individually. We each contribute our knowledge and ideas, mix it with everyone elses and come up with the real answer.

Of course it may not work for
1) Green Tigers in North Africa
2) Panthers in Vietnam
3) Chassis numbers v serial numbers on T95s [A new never ending question ]

Panthers in Vietnam? Just plain old Panthers? I remember lots of talk about Pink Panthers, but not just plain old Panthers. Razz
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#11: Re: What"s the Budge collection? Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:03 pm
    ----
- bsmart

Spoken like a true philosopher, you Air Force guys really used your spare time in them clean sheets for some serious reading, eh? Wink Wink

Still, it's days like this when I drive myself up the wall... *sigh* I'll punish myself by reading at least 10 issues of "Wheels & Tracks" over the coming weekend, I might even find some answers I haven't been looking for. Mr. Green

Cheers,

Jens O.

#12: Re: What"s the Budge collection? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:11 pm
    ----
- Jens_O_Mehner
- bsmart

Spoken like a true philosopher, you Air Force guys really used your spare time in them clean sheets for some serious reading, eh? Wink Wink

Still, it's days like this when I drive myself up the wall... *sigh* I'll punish myself by reading at least 10 issues of "Wheels & Tracks" over the coming weekend, I might even find some answers I haven't been looking for. Mr. Green

Cheers,

Jens O.

Whoa! Deja-freakin'-vu! Laughing

#13: Re: What"s the Budge collection? Author: jch_in_uk PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:58 am
    ----
The 'Budge Collection' was the property of Tony Budge (A.F.Budge) who owned a civil engineering contractor. Mr. Budge's other hobby was bloodstock by the way.

It was never a public collection, though they had an annual Open Day each year in aid of charity. By coincidence, it was at the 1989 Open Day that I first encountered Accurate Armour and Cromwell Models, but that is another story!

Some photos

Bob Fleming worked for Budge and obtained a large number vehicles from the Middle East, East Europe and Australia.

A number were restored to a very high standard in Budge's own workshops.

The company also engineered a number of conversions to modern military vehicles, re-engining (with diesel) M151 and Alvis Stalwarts, these were exhibited at BAEE shows.

When the parent company has financial difficulties the colection was offered for sale in an auction, however, shortly before the date of the sale the vehicles were withdrawn and the sale cancelled.

Most of the vehicles seem to have found their way to sunny California, though a few remain in private collections in Europe.

Hope this helps.

JH

-> AFV News Discussion Board