Combined Challenge 07
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Combined Challenge 07 Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:15 pm
    ----
Pictures with armor content from this years edition of the Swedish Armed Forces exercise "Combined Challenge" which took place between May 23d and June 3d in the south of Sweden.

An "enemy" strf90:

Army Engineers pbv302 moving in to secure a harbor area:

Army Engineers dismounted infantry support:

AT4 used as "bunker busters":

"Chicken race anyone?"

More to follow ...

#2: Re: Combined Challenge 07 Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:51 pm
    ----
A SISU and a strf90 EW (thought it was a pbv302 at first) from a Electronic Warfare unit:

Another EW SISU:

A strv122 crosses a creek:

"ALARM"

An EW strf90 (first picture I've seen of one):

Yet another EW SISU ready to regroup:

Strf90's on a Seek and Destroy mission:

Strv122's provide support for mechanized infantry:

Strv122's in a highway convoy:

An "enemy" strf90 has set up a checkpoint securing a bridgehead:

"I told you we should have taken a left back there!"

That's all ...

#3: Re: Combined Challenge 07 Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:48 am
    ----
Super, Thanks Rikard!

#4: Re: Combined Challenge 07 Author: rynokiLocation: Australia PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:46 pm
    ----
Great pics, the Leo2 waiting for the truck to pass is interesting.

#5: Re: Combined Challenge 07 Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:10 am
    ----
- rynoki
Great pics, the Leo2 waiting for the truck to pass is interesting.

When I did my service the crew testing the Leo2 for possible purchase did a highway test (around 400km there and back) to a shooting range. About half way the got stuck behind a truck hauling lumber going up a steep hill, in winter conditions this equals a speed of close-to-standing-still. The commander of the Leo got impatient and told the driver to signal for overtake and go for max speed and so they did. I've always wondered what the driver of the lumber hauler must have thought when he saw what was coming in his side view mirror ... not to mention oncoming traffic Smile

Oh, btw ... I was told after the event that the specified max speed of 72km/h for the Leo2 was exceeded considerably.

#6: Re: Combined Challenge 07 Author: rynokiLocation: Australia PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:52 am
    ----
Would have loved to see that Rikard. Cool I was told a long time ago that Aussie Leo1's could reach 110kph comfortably.

#7: Re: Combined Challenge 07 Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:26 am
    ----
Let's see 110 kph is 68-69 MPH if I did the conversion in my head properly.

I think I'd have a hard time believing that without some proof Rolling Eyes

#8: Re: Combined Challenge 07 Author: rynokiLocation: Australia PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:38 pm
    ----
Sorry, not trying to bullshit, just passing on what has been told. I also remember reading the MTU powerpacks had twin superchargers. I'm not sure if this was standard or just experimental.

#9: Re: Combined Challenge 07 Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:14 am
    ----
Hi Bob! Hi Folks!

- bsmart
Let's see 110 kph is 68-69 MPH if I did the conversion in my head properly.

I think I'd have a hard time believing that without some proof Rolling Eyes

Deduct 10% for the excitement of the moment and you maybe in the ball park. AFV crews have a bad habit of pushing AFVs passed their SAFE driving limits which is the numbers posted in most spec sheets.

That's from one who had a M113A0 going about 20-25 m.p.h.s faster that the TM said it could go. As for top end on a few M114A1s and M114A2s, I was to busy to look at the gage. I do remember my Battalion Commander at Ft. Bragg ask me one time if, "I knew my M114A1 was going airborne?" My responce at the time was something along the lines of "Sir, you have M551s that can crusie at 45 m.p.h.s. If we are going to stay out in front and not slow down the line companies, we have to learn how to push our M114s for all we can get out of them. I told him I was teaching my driver how to read the ground ahead and understand which bumps he could hit at speed and which ones he needed to slow down for. He just laugh and didn't tell me to slow down.

My 2 cents and some of my old history!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#10: Re: Combined Challenge 07 Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:18 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Bob! Hi Folks!

[ I do remember my Battalion Commander at Ft. Bragg ask me one time if, "I knew my M114A1 was going airborne?"

Sgt, Scouts Out!

I figured the appropriate answer would have been

ALL THE WAY SIR Laughing

#11: Re: Combined Challenge 07 Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:39 am
    ----
Hi Bob (F15)! Hi Folks!

- bsmart
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Bob! Hi Folks!

[ I do remember my Battalion Commander at Ft. Bragg ask me one time if, "I knew my M114A1 was going airborne?"

Sgt, Scouts Out!

I figured the appropriate answer would have been

ALL THE WAY SIR Laughing

During my year with the 82nd ABN Div, I never made it to jump school along with many of the guys who were transfered there from Ft. Riley when the unit moved down there.

That is where I get the 'Sgt, Scouts Out' from. That was what the Bn Commander would say to us when he would send the platoon out on a "Rat Patrol" mission behind the OpFor's lines at Ft. Bragg. He would attach the Bn Hq's tank section (3xM551) 1xM106-4.2 mortar, and 2x M548s -1 for carrying an infantry squad and supplies and the other with a diesel fuel pod and some 5 gallons cans of mo-gas for the M114s and our one M113. Those were fun FTXs.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

-> AFV News Discussion Board