Scenes at Ft. Knox - pics #5
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Scenes at Ft. Knox - pics #5 Author: A-109ELocation: Minneapolis PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:05 pm
    ----
This is the next-to-last set of photos of Scenes around Ft. Knox (I can hear the applause now!), and we start off with a view of APCs in a motor park.

Seen on the west side of Wilson Road north of Frazer Road:

Outside the Richardson Motor Park, the storage facility for the Patton Museum of Armor. This Bell OH-13 (an E-model, I think) is similar to the TH-13T (a Sioux with the full instrument panel of the Huey) we trained in for two months of the Basic & Advanced Instruments phase, U.S. Army flight school, Ft. Rucker, Abalama, waaaaaaay back when...

Some of the tantalizing artifacts inside the Richardson Motor Park. (See this thread: www.com-central.net/in...mp;start=0 for excellent photo coverage of this facility by AJ2)

An M4 with the spigot mortar attachment.

Several blocks east of Skidgel Hall in a training area.

....and what's an Army base without the United States Marines?

There's an M60(A3?) buried beneath that ERA array.

The St. John Motor Park on the south side of Frazer Road.

Last edited by A-109E on Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: Scenes at Ft. Knox - pics #5 Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:43 pm
    ----
- A-109E
This is the next-to-last set of photos of Scenes around Ft. Knox (I can hear the applause now!), and we start off with a view of APCs in a motor park.
[img]
Outside the Richardson Motor Park, the storage facility for the Patton Museum of Armor. This Bell OH-13 (an E-model, I think) is similar to the TH-13T (a Sioux with the full instrument panel of the Huey) we trained in for two months of the Basic & Advanced Instruments phase, U.S. Army flight school, Ft. Rucker, Abalama, waaaaaaay back when...

....and what's an Army base without the United States Marines?

Great pics, Bob...and it better not be the last of them!

Further to your post...here's the panel: (which might have the instruments, but sure don't look like no Huey!...but what do I know, I don't even have a silk scarf or a Seiko....)

...and speaking of 'dem Marines...little do they suspect that there are now bunking in my former AIT barracks (Disney) and using MY motor pool (Potts Motor Park) where, from this very vantage point, myself and a bunch of us very raw recruits got our first glimpse of what we took to be the most exotic and kewlest of vehicles comin' down that very stretch of road some 36 years ago (imagine whistles and utterances of "Gawd Damn!") and wishing we could be do that instead of training on M48's, which we were. And some of us did. The vehicle?...M551 Sheridans. Rolling Eyes

#3: Re: Scenes at Ft. Knox - pics #5 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:51 pm
    ----
- A-109E

This is the MATES building (building 2858) right? Also an M60A3 there?...

Neil

#4: Re: Scenes at Ft. Knox - pics #5 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:54 pm
    ----
- A-109E

You can find this Sherman in the original Tank Data. It was an experimental mine destroyer/demolition variant fitted. Originally part of the Ordnance Museum collection, later transferred to the Marine Air-Ground Museum at Quantico, and now in the Patton Museum collection.

Neil

#5: Re: Scenes at Ft. Knox - pics #5 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:58 pm
    ----
- A-109E

Uhh... 16th Cavalry HQ at Brave Rifles & Old Ironsides? Should also be 2 M60A3s there?

Neil

#6: Re: Scenes at Ft. Knox - pics #5 Author: A-109ELocation: Minneapolis PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:26 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey

Further to your post...here's the panel: (which might have the instruments, but sure don't look like no Huey!...but what do I know, I don't even have a silk scarf or a Seiko....)

Thanks for the reminiscence of AIT, Doug. Glad to see you survived working next to the breech end of a M551's gun/launcher! Shocked

Your photo of the OH-13's instrument panel shows a very basic VFR machine. The TH-13T's was far more expansive and incorporated side panels to prevent the student from seeing outside, even beyond the limited view afforded by the hood he had to attach to his flight helmet.

The Army's approach to teaching us to fly instruments in the Huey was to first run us through a month of Basic Instrument Training at Shell Army Heliport (west side of Ft. Rucker), then a month of Advanced Instruments at Hanchey AHP (northeast side), all in the Bell TH-13T. This model had hydraulic-boosted flight controls (well, at least the collective....) and the full instrument panel of a Huey grafted into the bubble of the '13. Typically (for the Army), we were never rated in the -13 - that's not why we were there - but rather just flew instrument maneuvers and approaches with the Instructor Pilot. He did all the take-offs and landings.

Sometimes I'm asked what it was like to fly the TH-13T and I always am forced to say......"I don't know......" Laughing

#7: Re: Scenes at Ft. Knox - pics #5 Author: A-109ELocation: Minneapolis PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:29 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner

Neil

I don't know the building name or number, Neil, but I'm certain Don would. It sounds like you know the place since, yes, there was an M60 there as well. Extreme northern end of Wilson Road, just short of the ranges.

#8: Re: Scenes at Ft. Knox - pics #5 Author: A-109ELocation: Minneapolis PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:35 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
- A-109E

You can find this Sherman in the original Tank Data. It was an experimental mine destroyer/demolition variant fitted. Originally part of the Ordnance Museum collection, later transferred to the Marine Air-Ground Museum at Quantico, and now in the Patton Museum collection.

Neil

Wow! This thing certainly gets around for something which looks quite immobile. Thanks for the interesting travel story on this vehicle. I see Hunnicutt has more to say about it.

One of the fascinating aspects of this DB (for me, at least) is posting a photo of a vehicle which appears to be just so much scrap steel and then have members provide a lengthy historical sketch on it. Thanks. Smile

#9: Re: Scenes at Ft. Knox - pics #5 Author: A-109ELocation: Minneapolis PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:40 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner

Uhh... 16th Cavalry HQ at Brave Rifles & Old Ironsides? Should also be 2 M60A3s there?

Neil

Very close, Neil. Just move one block west: Brave Rifles Regiment Avenue and Hell On Wheels Division Avenue, SE corner. The white water tower in the background to the NE is just north of the intersection of Brave Rifles and Old Ironsides. Yep, two M60s there as well, IIRC.

#10: Re: Scenes at Ft. Knox - pics #5 Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:50 pm
    ----
- A-109E

One of the fascinating aspects of this DB (for me, at least) is posting a photo of a vehicle which appears to be just so much scrap steel and then have members provide a lengthy historical sketch on it. Thanks. Smile

You have got to meet Jeff Button if you get down to Texas and Ft. Hood. Let him show you his files on some of his projects from vehicles to aircraft he's taken an "interest" in. Laughing

He pops in here from time-to-time. Tell him I sent ya'.

#11: Re: Scenes at Ft. Knox - pics #5 Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:12 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
- A-109E

Neil

Neil!!!

RELAX!! I will answer this all. My IP is slow as Vermont Molasses in January, So its taking me time to catch up while loading my pics of the vehicles in question.

I can't even get my new stuff edited, as I am patiently waiting for this lame service to 'burn' thru the weakest excuses of cloud cover. (...And when it actually storms.....I'm totally off the net. Dish's transponder for 'WildBlue' can't seem to 'burn thru' anything in the LOS.

BEWARE: 'WILDBLUE' SUCKS REAL BAD!!!

Anyway, I'll get to it!!!

Don

#12: Re: Scenes at Ft. Knox - pics #5 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:31 pm
    ----
Okay... I'll be good...

Neil

#13: Re: Scenes at Ft. Knox - pics #5 Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:40 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
- A-109E

You have got to meet Jeff Button if you get down to Texas and Ft. Hood. Let him show you his files on some of his projects from vehicles to aircraft he's taken an "interest" in. Laughing

He pops in here from time-to-time. Tell him I sent ya'.

Hey all, I just "Popped in" again. A-109E, if you get Ft hood way look me up! TONS of armor, both display and in motor pools that I can take you to. I'll just need some advance warning of your visit as I will have to coordinate with my new job. Speaking of which, I interviewed with a CSM at III Corp and was accepted to work as HHC III Corp G-4, Supply & Service Div NCOIC. I started yesterday and am quite busy already.
As far as my research is going, I visited Mr Steven Draper at the 1st CAV museum and he had me on his computer up-dating the historical data and correct serial numbers / USA-Reg numbers for all his M4 Sheramn varients. He was quite pleased and appriciative of the info and pictures I had put together. However I have to give a HUGE thanks to Joe DeMarco. I am now going to start on the M3 / M5's and record their info. Gotta run, I'm on my lunch. I'll check back in soon!!!!

#14: Re: Scenes at Ft. Knox - pics #5 Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:31 pm
    ----
Great pics, Bob,

thank you very much indeed. Any traces of the EM50 UAV? Laughing Laughing

Methinks that M60 of the Misguided Children is an A1, if memory serves, the Corps never received A3s, but upgraded their A1s- of course I've been known to screw up before... Sad

Cheers,

Jens O.

#15: Re: Scenes at Ft. Knox - pics #5 Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:46 pm
    ----
- Jens_O_Mehner
Great pics, Bob,

thank you very much indeed. Any traces of the EM50 UAV? Laughing Laughing

Jens O.

Here is a TOP SECRET photo of the EM50 for the uneducated....( Ala 'Stripes' )

[img]http://www.cloudster.com/sets&vehicles/Stripes/Stripes_664a.jpg[/img]

Mr. Green
Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board