Tank Model Identification
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Tank Model Identification Author: Antiqueswest PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:16 pm
    ----
Gentlemen/Ladies:
We recently came into possession of this rather well made tank model. Made of tin with working hatches, turret, etc. (Tracks don't move). It was purchased in London back in the 50s and ostensibly made by a master modelmaker.

It is well made as you can see, but it seems to my unschooled eye to be an amalgam of several different tank models. I wonder if it is a prototype of some sort or just a fanciful representation of a Yank tank by an English craftsman.

Any insight most appreciated, can't figure this bugger out...

#2: Re: Tank Model Identification Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:23 pm
    ----
Semi-interleaved road wheels? Looks pretty fanciful to me. What do you guys think?

That turret wouldn't even clear the right-side racks or the engine cover thingy...I think this has to be considered a "toy" rather than a "model".

Last edited by Doug_Kibbey on Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

#3: Re: Tank Model Identification Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:29 pm
    ----
I think its a British Challenger cruiser tank - notably the prototype

Rather than the production model

Either that or an amazingly coincidental resemblance - although I will freely admit the roadwheels are all wrong and there's a lot of other embellishments that have been added...

Neil

Last edited by Neil_Baumgardner on Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

#4: Re: Tank Model Identification Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:36 pm
    ----
There are ladies on the AFV forum?! Shocked

#5: Re: Tank Model Identification Author: Antiqueswest PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:50 pm
    ----
Gentlemen:

First time poster and wanted to make sure to cover all bases lest I offend any lady tankers among you.

Thanks for your input on this. Incredible likeness to the Challenger prototype, as you say, Neil. Right down to the gun brake. The wheels, well, they remain a mystery to me, as well.

Very grateful for your time and brainpower.

all best,

John

#6: Re: Tank Model Identification Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:51 pm
    ----
I think Neil's right, looks like the Challenger is what he had in mind. Welcome to the DG and thanks for posting this!

#7: Re: Tank Model Identification Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:05 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
I think its a British Challenger cruiser tank - notably the prototype

Rather than the production model

Either that or an amazingly coincidental resemblance - although I will freely admit the roadwheels are all wrong and there's a lot of other embellishments that have been added...

Neil

I agree that was the one I was thinking of when I first saw it but I think one of the other British Cruiser tank with the large boltheads on the turret. Was it Cromwell?

#8: Re: Tank Model Identification Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:09 pm
    ----
- Antiqueswest
Gentlemen:

First time poster and wanted to make sure to cover all bases lest I offend any lady tankers among you.

Thanks for your input on this. Incredible likeness to the Challenger prototype, as you say, Neil. Right down to the gun brake. The wheels, well, they remain a mystery to me, as well.

Very grateful for your time and brainpower.

all best,

John

Don't let the hogs fool ya, they just keep hoping and drowling at the feed trough (They've been known to hide under other aliases too, you know 'some pigs are more equal than others' Rolling Eyes )

I would consider this in the same class as 'tinplate' trains. Based on a real item but done as a toy

Welcome

Last edited by bsmart on Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

#9: Re: Tank Model Identification Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:13 pm
    ----
- Antiqueswest
Gentlemen:

Thanks for your input on this. Incredible likeness to the Challenger prototype, as you say, Neil. Right down to the gun brake.

Also the bolts on the sides of the turret and the fenders...

Neil

#10: Re: Tank Model Identification Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:32 pm
    ----
- bsmart

Don't let the hogs fool ya, they just keep hoping and drowling at the feed trough (They've been known to hide under other aliases too, you know 'some pigs are more equal than others' Rolling Eyes )

Oooooh! An Orwellian reference...you armor (and Air Force) guys is more erudite than one might at first think! Wink

#11: Re: Tank Model Identification Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:50 pm
    ----
- JG300-Ascout
- bsmart

Oooooh! An Orwellian reference...you armor (and Air Force) guys is more erudite than one might at first think! Wink

Uncle Sam may not have paid very well (especially during the Carter years) but the Educational benefits were definitely 1st rate. Between Tuition Assistance and GI Bill (The old one) from 1976 until 1990 I received more from Uncle Sam each year in direct payments (either to me or the schools) than I paid in Federal Income Taxes! Yes I was a drain on the taxpayers. (But I think they have made it up since then Rolling Eyes )

#12: Re: Tank Model Identification Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:04 pm
    ----
- bsmart
- JG300-Ascout
- bsmart

Uncle Sam may not have paid very well (especially during the Carter years) but the Educational benefits were definitely 1st rate. Between Tuition Assistance and GI Bill (The old one) from 1976 until 1990 I received more from Uncle Sam each year in direct payments (either to me or the schools) than I paid in Federal Income Taxes! Yes I was a drain on the taxpayers. (But I think they have made it up since then Rolling Eyes )

Nixon, Ford & Carter here (high turnover in that job in just three years). I like to think I earned it.

#13: Re: Tank Model Identification Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:14 pm
    ----
- JG300-Ascout

Oh dear Dougs secret is out Wink

Cool

#14: Re: Tank Model Identification Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:17 pm
    ----
- JimWeb
- JG300-Ascout

Oh dear Dougs secret is out Wink

Cool

Hey, no one can tell if you're cross-dressing when you post. Wink

#15: Re: Tank Model Identification Author: palic PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:54 pm
    ----
Shocked This is a strange mess of at least three (British/American and German) tank designs or construction schools with a tint of fourth (Soviet) design..., all under US style marking (see the left toolbox).

turret ... Challenger shape combined with Cromwell bolted plates with prominent boltheads

wings/mudguards with sandskirts ... Crusader/Centaur/Cromwell/Challenger/Charioteer features

front part of hull ... typical for M3 Light (Stuart) family

antenna mount ... seems to be taken from M3 Light (Stuart) family again

lights and guards ... aken from M3 Light (Stuart) family

engine deck + rear part of hull ... pretty fictious with two exhaust tubes and mufflers - these could be "rendered" from SU-76 "SUKA" SPG (moved from side to rear)

interleaved roadwhels ... Tiger/Panther/SdKfz 250/251/... typical for German "Panzer Schule"...

Bad dream of/for modeler (afterparty effect) - may be a "recognition test puzzle" not very well assembled Mr. Green

-> AFV News Discussion Board