Stryker and MOWAG Piranha
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Stryker and MOWAG Piranha Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:11 am
    ----
Gents,

are the Stryker and the corresponding MOWAG Piranha- series (can't remember the exakt designation right now, CRS setting in) dimensionally the same or are there major differences?

I'm looking to scratch one (in 1/87) and while I have the plans from MOWAG, I've received nothing from GDLS but empty promises, and even MOWAG can't get anything from them. Sad

TIA,

Jens O.

#2: Re: Stryker and MOWAG Piranha Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:04 am
    ----
Hi Jens! Hi Folks!

- Jens_O_Mehner
Gents,

are the Stryker and the corresponding MOWAG Piranha- series (can't remember the exakt designation right now, CRS setting in) dimensionally the same or are there major differences?

I'm looking to scratch one (in 1/87) and while I have the plans from MOWAG, I've received nothing from GDLS but empty promises, and even MOWAG can't get anything from them. Sad

TIA,

Jens O.

It is my understanding that the Stryker is a Piranha III with an extra layer of armor added to the outside. In 1/87 scale a Piranha III hull should be close enough to look good as a Stryker after adding US type lights and a RWS. Note the Piranha needs to be the III version, not a I or II type.

Failing that, pick up an AFV Club 1/35 scale kit and down size it.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#3: Re: Stryker and MOWAG Piranha Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:20 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Jens! Hi Folks!

It is my understanding that the Stryker is a Piranha III with an extra layer of armor added to the outside. In 1/87 scale a Piranha III hull should be close enough to look good as a Stryker after adding US type lights and a RWS. Note the Piranha needs to be the III version, not a I or II type.

Failing that, pick up an AFV Club 1/35 scale kit and down size it.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

What setting do I put the Xerox machine on when I downsize it from 1/35 to 1/87. And will it downsize the ineterior also? Rolling Eyes

I can see the movie now

Honey I shrunk the Stryker

#4: Re: Stryker and MOWAG Piranha Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:43 am
    ----
Honey I shrunk the Stryker

They have pills for that now.

#5: Re: Stryker and MOWAG Piranha Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:46 am
    ----
The Stryker is based on the LAV III, an upgrade from the LAV II and in turn original Gen I LAVs made in Canada. The original LAV was based on the original Piranha. I'm not convinced there's necessarily a direct link from Piranha III to LAV III, etc. Seems to me the family trees diverged somewhat, at least superficially.

Neil

#6: Re: Stryker and MOWAG Piranha Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:17 am
    ----
Hi Neil! Hi Folks!

- Neil_Baumgardner

The Stryker is based on the LAV III, an upgrade from the LAV II and in turn original Gen I LAVs made in Canada. The original LAV was based on the original Piranha. I'm not convinced there's necessarily a direct link from Piranha III to LAV III, etc. Seems to me the family trees diverged somewhat, at least superficially.
Neil

It is my understanding (again I maybe wrong} that the only difference is the name. In Europe, Mowag uses the Piranha name while outside Europe, GDLS used the LAV name. Other than that, the BASIC HULLS are the same.

The divergence is caused by the end user and what they pack on and in the hulls.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#7: Re: Stryker and MOWAG Piranha Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:10 am
    ----
Okay, lets compare:

Piranha (Gen I)

LAV-25 (Gen I)

Piranha II

ASLAV (LAV Gen II)

Piranha III

LAV III

Okay, Gen I - clearly very similar - LAV I was based on the Piranha I. There's even a good bit of similarity between LAV II and Piranha II. But I see (perhaps its just superficial) some clear differences between the LAV III and Piranha III - keep in mind these vehicles were developed by 2 different companies (GM Canada and MOWAG) until they were acquired by GD...

Neil

#8: Re: Stryker and MOWAG Piranha Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:21 am
    ----
Hi Neil! Hi Folks!

- Neil_Baumgardner
Okay, lets compare:

Okay, Gen I - clearly very similar - LAV I was based on the Piranha I. There's even a good bit of similarity between LAV II and Piranha II. But I see (perhaps its just superficial) some clear differences between the LAV III and Piranha III - keep in mind these vehicles were developed by 2 different companies (GM Canada and MOWAG) until they were acquired by GD...
Piranha III

LAV III

Neil

Thanks for taking the trouble to dig up all those photos.

What I see different is the power packs which cause the front top deck to be modified and the winch that was added behind the driver's hatch. Other wise those two hulls are BASICALY the same.

Hope this clears up my muddy chain of thinking.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#9: Re: Stryker and MOWAG Piranha Author: sapper141 PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:59 pm
    ----
Hi Guys
I usually just lurk around here, but I figured I'd through my 2 Canadian cents. Smile
Actually the LAV3 and the LAV25 are too very deferent vehicles. The LAV3 or Stryker is a much larger vehicle to the LAV25 Piranha. It's sort of like looking at the size diference between a Ford F150 and F350. The only thing common between the CDN. LAV3 and the LAV25 is the Delco turret, and even there; there are diferences between the American turet and the Canadian. The LAV3 Stryker has no turret so that one thing you don't have to worry about. Hope I didn't mess any body up

#10: Re: Stryker and MOWAG Piranha Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:25 am
    ----
Hi Sapper! Hi Folks!

- sapper141
Hi Guys
I usually just lurk around here, but I figured I'd through my 2 Canadian cents. Smile
Actually the LAV3 and the LAV25 are too very deferent vehicles. The LAV3 or Stryker is a much larger vehicle to the LAV25 Piranha. It's sort of like looking at the size diference between a Ford F150 and F350. The only thing common between the CDN. LAV3 and the LAV25 is the Delco turret, and even there; there are diferences between the American turet and the Canadian. The LAV3 Stryker has no turret so that one thing you don't have to worry about. Hope I didn't mess any body up

Good post Sapper!

Using your Ford truck idea, this is the way I see this family of vehicles:
Piranha I is like a 1980s model Ford F150
Piranha II is like a 1990s model Ford F150, almost the same basic hull, just some minor upgrades.
Piranha III is like a 2000s model Ford F250, almost the same basic hull, just a bit bigger with a larger payload.
Piranha IV is like a 2007s model Ford F350, again almost the same basic hull, but again a bit bigger with more payload.

Name wise:

Piranha I = LAV I or LAV Gen I, available with 4x4 and 8x8 hulls. The USMC LAV-25 FOVs are based off this 8x8 version.
Piranha II = LAV II or LAV Gen II, avilable with 4x4, 6x6, and 8x8 hulls. The Australian 8x8s are based off this version along with the newest USMC 8x8s. The Canadian 6x6s are based off this version.
Piranha III = LAV III or LAV Gen III, available with 4x4, 6x6, 8x8, and 10x10 hulls. The Canadian vehicles are based off this 8x8 version. The Stryker is also a spin off from this 8x8 version.
Piranha IV = LAV IV or LAV Gen IV, with 4x4, 6x6, 8x8, and 10x10 hulls available from the builder. As far as I know, no one has put this version into service yet.

Turrets, other weapons, and power packs doesn't come into play with the BASIC design because that is control by the end user or buyer.

Some more of my muddy thinking.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#11: Re: Stryker and MOWAG Piranha Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:35 am
    ----
Hmm,

I see I stirrep up the pot again. Mr. Green

Thanks for all your info, which is once again highly appreciated. As fate would have it, I just caught an article on them elsewhere, and the Piranha III does share the same basic dimensions (wheelbase, length and width) with the Stryker, so downsizing the AFV Club 1/35 kit (while correcting its minor dimensional issues) is definitely in the cards while using the plans for backup- you can't shrink them 1:1, it wouldn't look right in the end.

Now if only there was a GM RV-kit I could shrink for the EM50... Laughing

Thanks again,

Jens O.

-> AFV News Discussion Board