Can Anybody ID This Leopard?
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Can Anybody ID This Leopard? Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:39 pm
    ----
Costas - thanks for that, an interesting snippet of information. I have updated the text and map accordingly:

Unique ID 2485: Leopard, Georgina, ON, Canada

#17: Re: Can Anybody ID This Leopard? Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:55 am
    ----
You are welcome, Trevor. Even six years later, I still remember seeing the tank while watching the movie at the cinema. The scenes were too brief to tell the type exactly, but when I got the DVD from the local store it was an easy matter to freeze the frames and ID the variant at leisure.

P.S.: The post on the left front side of the "turret" was used to mount a DShK in the movie.

#18: Re: Can Anybody ID This Leopard? Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:21 pm
    ----
Costas has convinced me (by PM) that this is a modified Fahrschulpanzer Leopard (the first in the PTC database) so I have updated its designation and text accordingly:

Unique ID 2485: Fahrschulpanzer Leopard, Georgina, ON, Canada

It now gets its own entry in Preserved German Tanks.

#19: Re: Can Anybody ID This Leopard? Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:53 pm
    ----
You know what's funny about this Filmpanzer/Kinoshush (to use both Western and Russian slang)?
It actually manages to kind of look like the first generation experimental Soviet gun/missile tanks, the obiekt 757 and the obiekt 775. Wink

#20: Re: Can Anybody ID This Leopard? Author: recceboyLocation: Edmonton,Alberta PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:19 pm
    ----
Serial No. 78-85067 is not the tanks serial number, but the Canadian Forces Registration number, the serial number would be front left by the horn on the hull front. In 2006 there were two Leopard C2 hulls prepared for disposal out here in Edmonton, both had large sections taken out of the hull armour, I have photos of this. There might be more hulls out there as , at that time Canada was looking at phasing out the MBT's from the fleet. But, due to events in Afghanistan tanks were now very much needed.

Anthony

#21: Re: Can Anybody ID This Leopard? Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:18 pm
    ----
recceboy, you're right, I entered the data into the wrong field in my database - fixed.

I'd be interested to see the C2 hulls, to decide if they count as 'preserved tanks' or not.

-> AFV News Discussion Board