M47 Part II...Variant Designation?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M47 Part II...Variant Designation? Author: jagjetta PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:14 pm
    ----
This is the second M47 that is confusing me. This one is near Onalaska, Wisconsin. Again, it seems to be a standard M47 EXCEPT for the missing secondary idler wheel. Does this variant have a specific (army-assigned) designation?

Thank you!
John A-G
Iola, Wisconsin

#2: Re: M47 Part II...Variant Designation? Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:54 pm
    ----
Hi John,
The compensating idler wheel was removed during the many rebuilds by foreign companies such as Oto Melara of Italy. There isn't a special designation for this modification. Like the M47 in your previous post, this one was probably shipped back from an overseas user.

#3: Re: M47 Part II...Variant Designation? Author: jagjetta PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:33 pm
    ----
Hi Chris,
Thanks for the info. Even though this particular tank was pretty intact (not looted or vandalized), I couldn't find a data plate on the exterior like the one at Camp Dodge. However, I suspect that this was a NATO return as well.

Thanks so much for taking the time to have a look!

Best Regards,
John A-G
Iola, Wisconsin

#4: Re: M47 Part II...Variant Designation? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:58 pm
    ----
John,
Can you give me an address or more specific location for this M47?

Neil

#5: Re: M47 Part II...Variant Designation? Author: jagjetta PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:42 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
John,
Can you give me an address or more specific location for this M47?

Neil

Hi Neil,
This one is on Highway 53 in Holmen, Wisconsin, in front of a bank.

JOhn

#6: Re: M47 Part II...Variant Designation? Author: glmm PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:30 pm
    ----
Note the rain deflector chutes welded to the turret sides, this was a common modification added to Italian M47s. The gasoline powered M47 on show at the Spanish armor museum is a Italian one which nver served with the Spanish army. A number were bought in the early 80s to use them to developt specialiced variants (engineers, AVBL....) In the end they were sold for scrap or used as monuments.

-> AFV News Discussion Board