Quick question
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Quick question Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:45 pm
    ----
I think I know the answer but but a friend doesn' think so.

are the crew compartments on the M1 airconditioned?
Thanks in advance

Jeff Lewis

#2: Re: Quick question Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:54 pm
    ----
Jeff,
Only on the A2 SEP's last I heard.

All earlier A1/A2 models use Bleed air from the Turbine to run the NBC overpressure system, it's not very good (for cooling). The original A2's ducted the bleed air to keep the electronic components cool. SEP has a real A/C.

Why would anyone think the AC would be for the crew Laughing , it took temperature sensitive electronics to finally get A/C Wink .

Joe D

#3: Re: Quick question Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:19 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
Jeff,
Only on the A2 SEP's last I heard.

Joe D

Joe,
Did you ever have occasion to use the "gas particulate system" on a 60- series that used a hosed system connected to face masks that bore a strong resemblance to what we associate with fighter pilot fashionwear?
Did this system ever get "issued"?
D.

#4: Re: Quick question Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:51 pm
    ----
Doug,
Yep, every tank I served on had it, used the tanker's mask (M25) with it instead of the old M17, the newer mask is the M40/42 series, 42 is set up for the Gas Particulate.

Joe

#5: Re: Quick question Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:00 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
Doug,
Yep, every tank I served on had it, used the tanker's mask (M25) with it instead of the old M17, the newer mask is the M40/42 series, 42 is set up for the Gas Particulate.

Joe

I ask because sometimes I never knew what became of systems I tested at the Armor Board...and that was one of them. Summer of '72 or '73, I forget which. We were dreading it at first because the idea of wearing a full face mask running around Carpenter Test Area near the Ohio River in a humid Kentucky summer was not at all appealing....then we found that it was, in fact, like having an air conditioner for your face. Probably some evaporative cooling effect from removing the humidity....but definitely blew cool air into the mask...we actually liked it! One of the better projects...drive the wiz out an M60A1 in the CTA without interferance and generally have a blast. Good times! Laughing

(The less said about what could be done with the mask on and the hose disconnected from the system at other times, the better.... )

#6: Re: Quick question Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:33 pm
    ----
Doug

Its still used, as back up if the NBC system malfunctions. (Which is known to happen on occasion)

Don

#7: Re: Quick question Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:23 pm
    ----
- Dontos
Doug

Its still used, as back up if the NBC system malfunctions. (Which is known to happen on occasion)

Don

Well, now you know just how old that MoHunk really is! Laughing

(you got a pic?, I'd really like to see the mask)

#8: Re: Quick question Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:05 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
- Dontos
Doug

Don

Will this do??

Don

#9: Re: Quick question Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:19 pm
    ----
- Dontos
- Doug_Kibbey
- Dontos
Doug

Don

Will this do??

Don

That thar' be it! I'd recognize that puppy from a soccer field away. I's on that project, one of the good 'un's. Glad it paid off. Thanks!
(Tested the first version of that CVC, too...we started out hating it, but realized it really was more comfy).

#10: Re: Quick question Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:02 am
    ----
So what kind of residuals do you get on the products?

And is that your beginning in the medical technology business?

#11: Re: Quick question Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:38 am
    ----
- bsmart
So what kind of residuals do you get on the products?

And is that your beginning in the medical technology business?

Somehow, the residuals seem to have ended with the G.I. Bill benefits. Then again, those led, eventually (after a severely contorted and indirect pathway Rolling Eyes ) to the Medical Technology thingy. I guess I can say I don't feel cheated too badly. Pity about the war thing, though. Not everybody fared as well.

#12: Re: Quick question Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:35 am
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey

That thar' be it! I'd recognize that puppy from a soccer field away. I's on that project, one of the good 'un's. Glad it paid off. Thanks!
(Tested the first version of that CVC, too...we started out hating it, but realized it really was more comfy).

This is from TM 9-2350-255-10, M-1(& IPM-1) Abrams. It is my original OSUT Training Manual, that I was given in 1985.

Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board