M3 Stuart at Camp Murray, WA
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M3 Stuart at Camp Murray, WA Author: Alf_AdamsLocation: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:38 am
    ----
Here are some shots of the M3 Stuart on display at Camp Murray. Perhaps, on display, is not the right term. It is not like the M47 nicely displayed at the main gate. The Stuart seems to have been almost forgoten by all but whoever drives the lawnmower around it periodically. It sits just inside the fence, clearly visible to all who pass by on the nearby interstate. I took a couple of interior shots through the wide open front hatches, and the inside looks surprisingy good considering that the vehicle is so exposed to the elements. I looked for serial numbers, but could read nothing through the layers of paint and decades of corrosion. I guess all we can do is hope that someday someone on the base will realize that this is a rare vehicle that deserves better than it is getting.

#2: Re: M3 Stuart at Camp Murray, WA Author: Hellfish6Location: Orlando PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:00 am
    ----
That's right next to the sim center. Been there before.

#3: Re: M3 Stuart at Camp Murray, WA Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:35 am
    ----
Thats ashame.....

Wish someone would take notice and perhaps move it to a better location.

Looks in decent shape, a definite resto candidate. The track even looks decent.

Although I'm not a big Stuart fan, its small size makes it a fairly easy restoration project. Not too much 'heavy metal. Although parts might be a minor problem.

Used to live up that way, back in mid-90's. Hated the weather, although very scenic.

Thanks for the photos
Don

#4: Re: M3 Stuart at Camp Murray, WA Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:07 pm
    ----
Alf,
Did you also come across the M114 that was supposedly in a parking lot at Camp Murray?

Neil

#5: Re: M3 Stuart at Camp Murray, WA Author: Alf_AdamsLocation: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:45 pm
    ----
Hi Neil,
I could not find the M114 that is on your list. I looked around but it's a big base with a lot of parking lots. It may have been moved, or it may still be there and I just didn't stumble on it.

Alf

#6: Re: M3 Stuart at Camp Murray, WA Author: KenEstes PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:44 pm
    ----
The M114 had been parked at the opposite end of the building from where the M3 stands, also where some arty tubes a large USSR field gun and a US 3" field gun were placed. That building also houses the WA ANG museum, all volunteers, and they have the M3 engine [perhaps not from that exact vehicle] on display inside. Thay have lots of projects, little resources; they are also hoping to take over & restore the 120mm AA gun that stands outside the VFW post at Snohomish WA.

This was all seen by me in 2000 or so, and the changes at Ft Lewis remain unpredictable.

-> AFV News Discussion Board