Finland puts old armor on sale ...
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Finland puts old armor on sale ... Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:42 pm
    ----
Finns to sell Charioteers, Comets AND Stug's!

Articles in Finnish only:

Helsingin Sanomat Article

Official Finnish Defense Force notification:

Quick translation of the Finnish text.

"The Finnish Defense Force puts old armor on sale.

The sale/auction consists of 15 Charioteers and 4 Comets, more or less complete. Some are missing engines and transmissions. Also on sale are three Stug wrecks (it really says wrecks), they are hulls and superstructures only. All armament will be dactivated prior to sale. The auction takes place on September 29th. The tanks will be viewable with photo opportunity on three separate occasions before the auction."

Man ... wow,
The articles also says that this was made possible partly on the request of the arms collecting community and that they expect to make a good profit on it ... I would think so ... wow.

#2: Re: Finland puts old armor on sale ... Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:48 pm
    ----
Yeah, that's good news. I was really hoping that Finland will sell some of their StuGs which are rusting away in storage fields. I really hope to see them 3 soon, restored in some museums around the world. I even didn't know that they were owning Comets and Charioteers too. The sale of WW2 tanks is always an event today.

Pierre-Olivier

#3: Re: Finland puts old armor on sale ... Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:02 pm
    ----
Shall we venture a guess that at least three gentlemen will be in attendance,

Mr. Wheatcroft
Mr. Cadman
Mr. Littlefield

Smile

Damn it if I'm not going as well , if not to buy (oh I wish) then to at least enjoy the spectacle!

#4: Re: Finland puts old armor on sale ... Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:11 pm
    ----
Maybe a French guy should also be interested. Mr Littlefield already has a StuG G, and Kevin Wheatcroft has 2 StuGs ausf B which are waiting to be restored.. Please let other collectors to have one real German WW2 AFV (not to say that G-13 are not real German tanks but.. it's not the same..)

P-O

#5: Re: Finland puts old armor on sale ... Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:18 pm
    ----
Hopefully Mr. Littlefield will pick up a Charioteer. As P-O said, he already has a StuG G plus he has a Comet as well.

#6: Re: Finland puts old armor on sale ... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:00 pm
    ----
- Rikard_Hufschmied
Shall we venture a guess that at least three gentlemen will be in attendance,

Mr. Wheatcroft
Mr. Cadman
Mr. Littlefield

Smile

Damn it if I'm not going as well , if not to buy (oh I wish) then to at least enjoy the spectacle!

I would expect Mr. Coors to be interested also.

#7: Re: Finland puts old armor on sale ... Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:26 pm
    ----
Rik,

I didn't think to ask you before (damned!!!) but.......

Where is located the Panther gun that you show on your avatar???

Pierre-Olivier

#8: Re: Finland puts old armor on sale ... Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:03 pm
    ----
- the_shadock
Rik,

I didn't think to ask you before (damned!!!) but.......

Where is located the Panther gun that you show on your avatar???

Pierre-Olivier

Munster.

Munster Panther gun and Mantlet

#9: Re: Finland puts old armor on sale ... Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:18 pm
    ----
- toadmanstankpictures
Hopefully Mr. Littlefield will pick up a Charioteer. As P-O said, he already has a StuG G plus he has a Comet as well.

I was just trying to be funny and a tad ironic. I hope others than the "bigwigs" will get a chance.

#10: Re: Finland puts old armor on sale ... Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:49 pm
    ----
I had a look to the pictures they provided of the tanks which will be for sale. The StuGs are definitely wrecks, the one shown on the photo is missing tracks, roadwheels, the engine and many spare parts (hatch etc..). But however it's a good base for a long and costly restoration..
The Charioteers and Comets are in far better condition. And even with such a Charioteer, you could make up a Cromwell tank by changing the turret.... (but that's just an idea, Cromwells are WW2 tanks and Charioteers are not..)

#11: Re: Finland puts old armor on sale ... Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    ----
The Stug pictured is not in Andreas Lärka's pictorial registry either ... hmm, or is it a "cannibalized" one. I'll pop him a mail.

#12: Re: Finland puts old armor on sale ... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:03 pm
    ----
Can anyone translate this for me???

Sturmgeschutz III Ausfurung G

-prototyyppi valmistui 1943-1966

Especially the above highlighted phrase? Is this the time period that the vehicle was in operation?

Thanks
Don

#13: Re: Finland puts old armor on sale ... Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:55 pm
    ----
- Dontos

Assaultsupport 3 Model G. The long German version of "Stug III Ausf.G"

- Dontos
Especially the above highlighted phrase? Is this the time period that the vehicle was in operation?

Not in operation, it names the date (year) the prototype first appeared. Where did you find this? I can't find it in any of the documents. Seems a tad long for a development period?

#14: Re: Finland puts old armor on sale ... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:28 pm
    ----
- Rikard_Hufschmied
- Dontos

Assaultsupport 3 Model G. The long German version of "Stug III Ausf.G"

- Dontos

Not in operation, it names the date (year) the prototype first appeared. Where did you find this? I can't find it in any of the documents. Seems a tad long for a development period?

"Official Site"

From the official site, open one of the 3 text documents....

I think it is in the first. Can't read it, but I always click on any document links from official sites..... One can find some interesting 'buried' items or information.

Form 1

Form 2

Happy hunting....
Don

#15: Re: Finland puts old armor on sale ... Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:59 pm
    ----
Ok, I have it now. It was a bug in my Office installation (Damn you Microsloth!) that kept me from seeing all info in the first document

Translation:

Sturmgeschütz III Ausführung G - StuG III Ausf. G Wink
valmistettu Saksassa 10543 kpl - Total German production 10543 vehicles.
prototyyppi valmistui vuonna 1940 - Prototype finished in 1940
hankittu Suomeen 59 kpl - Acquired by Finland 59 vehicles.
käytössä Suomessa vuosina 1943-1966 - In service in Finland from 1943 to 1966
taistelumassa 24 t - Combat weight 24t
huippunopeus 40 km/h - Max speed 40 km/h
tykin kaliiperi 75 mm - Caliber of primary armament 75mm
moottorin teho 300 hv - Engine output 300 hp
miehistö 4 henkeä - Crew of 4

-> AFV News Discussion Board