M24 Chaffee at 4ID museum...
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M24 Chaffee at 4ID museum... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:58 pm
    ----
This M24 is at the 4ID museum and came from the Center for Military History on 14 August 1972. It's serial number is 363 and the stamping beside the drivers hull says "T376".
Joe Demarco tells me this Chaffee was the 376 hull built by Cadillac in August 1944, and its proper USA number should be 30112956. All the information for the 1st CAV M24 applies to this one as well, early build.
While this Chaffee does not have the Infantry phone box on the rear, (or tail lights), it does have the storage box attached at the rear of the turret.
I have three M41 Walker Bulldogs all photographed and will get them posted soon. However I have almost no information on them even though I do have their serial numbers.

#2: Re: M24 Chaffee at 4ID museum... Author: binder001 PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:12 pm
    ----
This and the M24 at 1st CAV museum look pretty good. The tank at 4th ID doesn't have the added attachment pads at the four corners of the hull, and doesn't have the added MG pedestal in front of the commander's cupola.

#3: Re: M24 Chaffee at 4ID museum... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:37 pm
    ----
I believe we determined this was ex-French army?

Neil

#4: Re: M24 Chaffee at 4ID museum... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:02 am
    ----
Mrs. Stratton at the 4th ID museum believes these vehicles may have been lend-lease and returned. However I have no information on actual unit service of either M24. Being that they are very early builds, there is actually a good chance they may have actually served over-seas in some capacity. How was the "ex-French army" determined?
Do these serial number locations, as well as the one on the M26 Pershing I posted rate good enough for placement into the serial numbers guide?
I'll be posting M41 pictures once I have them organized and can find some information on them.

#5: Re: M24 Chaffee at 4ID museum... Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:17 am
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
Being that they are very early builds, there is actually a good chance they may have actually served over-seas in some capacity. How was the "ex-French army" determined?

Jeff,
This is the one with the French rebuild plate on the glacis near the left side headlight assembly.

#6: Re: M24 Chaffee at 4ID museum... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:57 am
    ----
Man, am I dim! I knew there was a plate on the front hull because I took this photo. Can anyone decipher it??? Maybe it will shed some historical light.

-> AFV News Discussion Board