Need Help! Topic about Stryker in Iraq
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Need Help! Topic about Stryker in Iraq Author: famo PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:58 am
    ----
Hi everyone:
I get a AFV Club 35126 M1126 ICV Stryker, this is a great model that was worth the wait!
But after read the reviewing in some websites, and refer to the photos I collect, I found that this model can only build a pre-production or early type, not the vehicle deployed to Iraq, it not include some stuff usually seen in Iraq’s vehicle(But I can’t wait anylonger to build a Iraq type!):
1. Slat Armor (or birdcage): I have not many photos, request for more ,
Sad , I plan to use aluminums or copper fret to do it by myself!
2. Fully perforated shock absorber outer covers : But in some photo I see the solid covers in Iraq type., if 2 kinds of cover can use without strict regulation? or new solid cover put into service to use in the sandy region?

3. Hub protective center ring & Late model protective straps: In some photos , New model stryker’s 4 pair of wheels also have Hub protective center rings, but in some photos, Iraq type has 1 pair, 2 pair, 3 pair, 4 pair, some even has nothing! If the usage without any strict regulation too?

4. Mounting plates: in some reviewing sites, refer to Mounting Plates, I know nothing about this, are the plates in the photos? if this, need more photos Smile
5. New cover for grille: In some photos, there is a cover adds to the grille, is this special for vehicle in Iraq? if this, need more photos too Smile

6. New side box armor?

May be too many question Smile tks!

Last edited by famo on Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:33 am; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: Need Help! Topic about Stryker in Iraq Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:20 pm
    ----
As we got FAMO sorted out with his images, I deleted all the subsequent posts relating to that issue. We now return you to our regularly scheduled program, which is already in progress. Mr. Green

#3: Re: Need Help! Topic about Stryker in Iraq Author: famo PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:06 am
    ----
I've switched my photoalbum from webshot to photobucket, if the image display problem persists, notice ASAP! You know in my computer, everything is OK even the images in webshot photoalbum.

#4: Re: Need Help! Topic about Stryker in Iraq Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:08 am
    ----
Everything looks Okey-Dokey to me!

#5: Re: Need Help! Topic about Stryker in Iraq Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:25 am
    ----
It looks fine to me at work (Shh don't tell anybody Rolling Eyes )

#6: Re: Need Help! Topic about Stryker in Iraq Author: GaryKato PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:19 pm
    ----
I don't think those are mounting plates. I believe those are extra armor to protect crew who are standing in their hatches. Some of the armor has bulletproof windows in them.

As for the new box armor, possibly. I was joking in my mind that these were nerf bars for beginner drivers, but there might be a grain of truth in that. Maybe these Strykers have the mounts for the bar armor but no bar armor. It could cause real bad damage if a car/truck got too close so they would want something to cover them.

The new grille cover could be to lower the IR signature. It might also be an air conditioner.

The box on top looks like something someone taped together to protect the top.

#7: Re: Need Help! Topic about Stryker in Iraq Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:50 pm
    ----
- famo
Hi everyone:
I get a AFV Club 35126 M1126 ICV Stryker, this is a great model that was worth the wait!

4. Mounting plates: in some reviewing sites, refer to Mounting Plates, I know nothing about this, are the plates in the photos? if this, need more photos Smile

The "mounting plates" look like crew armour for guys in the family hatch doing the air sentry job. A considerable number of Canadian casualties in AFG have been by IEDs. If the blast doesn't cause injuries, the flames will. Giving a guy a vertical deflector to hide more of himself behind, is considered an improvement.

The device on the front bumper won't be discussed. It is what it is. Any further speculation is unnecessary.

#8: Re: Need Help! Topic about Stryker in Iraq Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:51 pm
    ----
Hi Famo! Hi Folks!

- famo

2. Fully perforated shock absorber outer covers : But in some photo I see the solid covers in Iraq type.,

I don't know one way or the other, but my guess is that is MUD we are seeing and NOT solid covers. Take a water hose to that vehicle and I would bet that you will find perforated covers under all that dirt.

Famo, you might what to pick up Trumpter's new Stryker super detail set. It has the perforated covers and a lot of other items that might fit the AFV Club vehicle.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#9: Re: Need Help! Topic about Stryker in Iraq Author: Jason_Bobrowich PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:27 pm
    ----
Eduard released two sets in August for the Trumpeter Stryker...one set includes the perforated covers...it's just a matter time before they release a set or two for the AFV Club Stryker.

Those new armour blocks were discussed on Missing Lynx a while back...I found this on them...

This is part of the Add-On Armor (AOA) array for the Stryker.

It is jointly developed and produced by the Army Research Laboratory (ARL) and United Defence LP back in 2003/2004.

The AOA includes United Defence LP developed NXRA (Non-Explosive Reactive Armor) modules fitted to the Stryker glacis and ARL (Army Research Laboratory) developed explosive reactive armor modules fitted to the vehicle sides.

It weighs 8,000 lbs and gives Level B protection all-round, including the rear hull, against RPGs.

This technology was originally developed for the variety of AOA packages for the M8 AGS.

#10: Re: Need Help! Topic about Stryker in Iraq Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:20 pm
    ----
- GaryKato
As for the new box armor, possibly. I was joking in my mind that these were nerf bars for beginner drivers, but there might be a grain of truth in that. Maybe these Strykers have the mounts for the bar armor but no bar armor. It could cause real bad damage if a car/truck got too close so they would want something to cover them.

The 'box armour' vehicles have been around at least two years - the image I have is dated November 2005. The armour in question is reported to be ERA.

www.jedsite.info/8x8af...a/era.html

BTW Famo - you got a copy of that image without the red scrawl?

Cool

#11: Re: Need Help! Topic about Stryker in Iraq Author: Jason_Bobrowich PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:16 pm
    ----
The modules on the side are reactive (ERA) but the tiles on the glacis plate are non-explosive (NXRA).

#12: Re: Need Help! Topic about Stryker in Iraq Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:51 pm
    ----
Are there any safety concerns about driving ERA equipped vehicles on Public Highways?

#13: Re: Need Help! Topic about Stryker in Iraq Author: Burik PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:36 pm
    ----
The strut guards do not come solid. That is mud in them on that one photo. Both Trumpeter and Eduard now offer it for the Trumpeter kit. I have the Eduard offering and it fits perfectly for the AFV Club kit. Iraq deployed vehicles always had the perforated strut guards.

The blast plates around the air guard hatches are part of the slat kit now. In the early days the soldiers used sand bags, and then started making their own plates out of whatever was at hand, and then GDLS came up with the current blast plate idea.

The Rhino still can be modeled. We don't need to discuss what it's properties are, but it is no secret it has to do with IEDs.

The extended exhaust cover came along with the second or third brigade to deploy. 3/2 did not have these on their first deployment.

The step rings were on all wheels for awhile, and they would come off quite often, so you can see many vehicles with them on some wheels and other wheels did not have them. For the last two years the Stryker has only one step ring on the left front wheel. It can be confusing, as most of the above, since older vehicles are still around and showing older looks; 3/2 is in Iraq now and most of their vehicles still have step rings on all wheels, except new Strykers that came into the brigade as replacement vehicles. Then of course things get overhauled, etc, so there is refitting going on.

I hope I did not confuse the issue.

Bob

#14: Re: Need Help! Topic about Stryker in Iraq Author: Jason_Bobrowich PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:55 pm
    ----
Are there any safety concerns about driving ERA equipped vehicles on Public Highways?

There shouldn't be unless they are being engaged by heavy weapons or RPGs....ha ha. Damm road rage!!!

What you see mounted may very well be dummy ERA just like the USMC M60A1 RISE were fitted with for training purposes. The real stuff only gets mounted for combat operations.

#15: Re: Need Help! Topic about Stryker in Iraq Author: famo PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:36 am
    ----
More photos of slat armor and blast plate could be batter.Maybe we have to wait half a year for aftermarket sets to make slat and plate till xmas Smile I can't wait so long, DIY is the only way.

-> AFV News Discussion Board