M1 Abrams at Boise Idaho
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M1 Abrams at Boise Idaho Author: Alf_AdamsLocation: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:50 pm
    ----
Here are a couple of photos of a very nicely preserved M1 at the Military Museum near Gown Field, Boise. It has serial number 0723 on the side skirts. Here is a list of other vehicles on display at the museum as well as at the armor park on the nearby base (Gowen Field)

Museum:
M60A3 sn 2978, rn JJ04ZV
M3 White scout car
M901 ITV
M113
M548
M728
M59
M110
M578

Gowen Field Armor Park:
M4A3(75)VVSS sn 12115
M1 Abrams sn 0977
M1 Abrams sn 0106
M60A3 sn 1776A, rn JJ03YH
M42 Duster
M551 Sheridan
M113
M114 Lingle

#2: Re: M1 Abrams at Boise Idaho Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:28 am
    ----
Great find! Got any more pictures? Would love to see the M551. I wonder if these vehicles once belonged to the 116th ACR? www.globalsecurity.org...av-bde.htm

#3: Re: M1 Abrams at Boise Idaho Author: binder001 PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:37 pm
    ----
Sounds like a nice collection! Hope to see more photos. I wonder if that M4A3 is the one that the 116CAV restored to running condition back in the 1970's?

#4: Re: M1 Abrams at Boise Idaho Author: Alf_AdamsLocation: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:48 pm
    ----
As requested, here are some photos of the M4 and M551. More to come later.

#5: Re: M1 Abrams at Boise Idaho Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:58 pm
    ----
It's startin' to look a little rough, but at least that M551 has it's water barrier "sheaths" more-or-less intact, which is a lot more than you can say for most of them! (Especially the outdoor displays)

#6: Re: M1 Abrams at Boise Idaho Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:12 pm
    ----
Thanks for posting the pics. Looks like I'll have to stop there on my way to Spokane next summer.

#7: Re: M1 Abrams at Boise Idaho Author: oldertop PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:58 pm
    ----
Well I'll be dammed, so they have a museum out there. Back when I was stationed there (1969-73) the Guard had over 300 operational armored vehicles not counting the Marine reserve tank company. The Guard base was under the command of a full Col later Brig Gen named G.I. Shores. The reason I remember that base so well is the full time guard members were moving a M59 hull to the Bigfoot Butt range on a lowboy trailer, there was a chief warrant officer W-4 and a Sgt doing the move, thet pushed the hull up on the trailer (both the trailer and tractor were military types with the canvas cab cover on the tractor) they locked the brackes but forgot there wasn't any track or a powerpack on the vehicle, no tie-down chaines or any kind of dogging was used. There were some very steep hills on the roadway to the range and as the tractor started down the first grade the M 59 hull rolled over the trailer 5th wheel came to a stop over the tractor cab, I'll never forget the sight of the kid's (tractor driver ) head sitting on the hood of the tactor, his eyes half closed like he was going to sleep.

#8: Re: M1 Abrams at Boise Idaho Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:24 pm
    ----
I guess that would be the Idaho Military History Museum?

inghro.state.id.us/museum/

Neil

#9: Re: M1 Abrams at Boise Idaho Author: oldertop PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:35 am
    ----
Theres a lot of history around Gown Field, Jimmy Stewart was a bomber pilot instructor also Clark Gable was a gunnery instructor at Gown. My tank barn had been the trailer mounted aircraft turret service center, when we tried to grade the lot in front of the service building we were stopped dead by thousands M2 aircraft 50 cal barrels that had been driven on end into the ground, this was an area 600x300 feet.

#10: Re: M1 Abrams at Boise Idaho Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:28 am
    ----
That Sheridan looks good. It has all the parts intact. I think the 116 ACR had Sheridans. Not too many guard units got them.

-> AFV News Discussion Board