Ssssh! its about the CIA.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Ssssh! its about the CIA. Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:20 am
    ----
- Jens_O_Mehner
I know nuthink... Cool

You know, this whole thing got me thinking (always dangerous, ask any number of my various contemporaries at any given moment in time)- we need a badge!

I already have an idea, but I suck at the realisation- here's my concept, first have a look at the original:

I thought we'll have an OD background, "Curmudgeons in Armor" instead of "Central Intelligence Agency" (oxymoron city) the eagle gets replaced by a profile view of a silver/grey Mk I rhomboid tank facing left (sorta like the old collar badge), a head-on view of a T-55, and a profile view of a Leopard 1 or 2 facing right, on the white shield we replace the star with the armor triangle.

On the bottom scroll, I'd put a white star for the US, either a red star or the tricolor for the Rodina, an iron cross for Germany, the respective roundels for the UK, France and Finland, the Star of David for Israel- you get the idea, we'll have to use a lot of wingy thingy stuff, but many of these have been used for aerial recognition on armored vehicles. Lest we run out of space, I'd say we shoot for nations with an armor tradition and/or a major impact on armor design.

Whaddaya think? We could but it on name badges, patches, decals, T-shirts, hats... The list is endless. Instant recognition, fame, fortune, world domination, all ours if someone could put it into a graphic form. Laughing

Jens O.

Jens,

I'd be careful of running afoul of any copyrighted or trademarked logos, even in jest, since I've known it to come up with regard to some military units.

However, I had gotten this far with some T-Shirt ideas for CafePress, with George's blessing, before I got into a travel cycle and forgot all about it...
I have a version with AFV News in there somewhere, too.
Whadday'a think?

#17: Re: Ssssh! its about the CIA. Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:25 am
    ----
- JimWeb

.. now all I need is an image of a grumpy old fart on top of something armoured.. Roy? Laughing

Cool

Sorry, I became a "grumpy old fart" long after the last time I was up on top of an AFV so I don't have any photos. Now if you can provide me with an AFV to climb up onto, I will glady pose for you. Razz
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#18: Re: Ssssh! its about the CIA. Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:31 am
    ----
Get out here to Aberdeen and we can make it happen!

#19: Re: Ssssh! its about the CIA. Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:45 am
    ----
Well,

I see where you're coming from, but to the best of my knowledge none of the US governmental logos have been trademarked or copyrighted- anyways, if we drop the shield and just use the armor triangle instead (which is in the public domain), we use a traditional heraldic design- we can even drop the scroll background and just use the national recognition marks.

I like your T-shirt designs, but I was aiming at a more internationally oriented logo, and not everybody used Shermans. Wink

#20: Re: Ssssh! its about the CIA. Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:57 am
    ----
- Jens_O_Mehner
Well,

I see where you're coming from, but to the best of my knowledge none of the US governmental logos have been trademarked or copyrighted- anyways, if we drop the shield and just use the armor triangle instead (which is in the public domain), we use a traditional heraldic design- we can even drop the scroll background and just use the national recognition marks.

I like your T-shirt designs, but I was aiming at a more internationally oriented logo, and not everybody used Shermans. Wink

Jens.
Well, I hastened to get a tank in there because there was some risk associated with travelers with the "CIA" thing in there and no instant CLARIFICATION about what it was about. Actually, the Sherman was not my first choice, a WWI Mark IV was, but George pointed out that this was in use by another group that he wanted not to impinge upon, so I went with the next most generic and widely recognized symbol....nationalism had nothing to do with the choice, I promise.

#21: Re: Ssssh! its about the CIA. Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:12 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
Jens.
Well, I hastened to get a tank in there because there was some risk associated with travelers with the "CIA" thing in there and no instant CLARIFICATION about what it was about. Actually, the Sherman was not my first choice, a WWI Mark IV was, but George pointed out that this was in use by another group that he wanted not to impinge upon, so I went with the next most generic and widely recognized symbol....nationalism had nothing to do with the choice, I promise.

Ahh, not to worry,

I didn't imply any nationalism, I can see where the M4 comes in, but I feel it's a bit overused these days and I was aiming at a instantly recognizable, quasimodern yet traditional and self-explanatory look, that's why my design also spells CIA out and uses well-known tanks with an international flavour.

We'd have to rethink the Star of David if there any among us that plan to travel to Arabian countries...

#22: Re: Ssssh! its about the CIA. Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:23 pm
    ----
I can also cobble up a "mythical" tank silhouette...totally generic. Should also be "old" and not modern-looking. I wanted something that we could feel comfortable in while mingling with the public on planes, buses, in crowds, etc. in various parts of the world without "political" entanglements. If you start putting national symbols of any sort on there, this could get to be a problem, depending on who, and where, you are.

#23: Re: Ssssh! its about the CIA. Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:55 pm
    ----
- Dontos
How about a Tanker who is 'ordered' to apply face paint since the Infantry Bn had all their guys in paint.

When I was posted to Bovington - the regiment that was already there (QDG IIRC) was having a parade and I was drafted in (to fill holes in the ranks I suspect) anyway at the dress rehearsal this very young 2lt in charge of our particular column came up to me and.. anyway it went like this

2lt: I say could you wear one of our cap badges for the parade rather than your lancer one?

me <long cold stare straight into his eyes>

2lt <starting to look uncomfortable and probably wondering which was the best line of retreat>

me: no -go away!

Curiously enough they didn't need me for the real parade...

Cool

#24: Re: Ssssh! its about the CIA. Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:55 pm
    ----
What about an FT-17 silouette as the basis. It's old, they were used everywhere, The tracks and turret stand out

#25: Re: Ssssh! its about the CIA. Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:56 pm
    ----
The Not-A-Sherman, Mark XII, Panzerkampfwagen VIII, KV-IV, A7-4A!

#26: Re: Ssssh! its about the CIA. Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:04 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
I can also cobble up a "mythical" tank silhouette...totally generic. Should also be "old" and not modern-looking. I wanted something that we could feel comfortable in while mingling with the public on planes, buses, in crowds, etc. in various parts of the world without "political" entanglements. If you start putting national symbols of any sort on there, this could get to be a problem, depending on who, and where, you are.

Why not use the tank off the russian tankers badge - thats quite generic and would look good?

Cool

#27: Re: Ssssh! its about the CIA. Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:36 pm
    ----
- JimWeb
- Doug_Kibbey

Why not use the tank off the russian tankers badge - thats quite generic and would look good?

Cool

I'll let you submit that one to Cafepress, I don't care for any surprize-laced caipirinhas, thanks very much! Wink

#28: Re: Ssssh! its about the CIA. Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:16 pm
    ----
Hmmm,

I dunno, that CIA on the T-Shirt design certainly draws attention to the wearer, since the explanatory part is rather small- I'd still rather go for a crest/badge-type of design and instead of the individual nations, we could use the UN flag? These designs usually draw less attention as well, since most people assume it's another university or something, plus most people won't make the connection from "Curmudgeons in Armor" to CIA anyways.

I also feel so limited using just one tank design, it kind of gives the false impression we are only interested in one era...

I'll kick it around some more, maybe I can even visualize something- I'll do it the old way and doodle it on paper, followed by scanning it in... Yeah, 21st century technology has a firm grip on me. Laughing

#29: Re: Ssssh! its about the CIA. Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:30 pm
    ----
This is about what I had in mind:

Alternatively, instead of using tanks, we could show crossed sabers, crossed rifles and a classic spokewheeled gun in recognition of the roots.

#30: Re: Ssssh! its about the CIA. Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:37 pm
    ----
Make the Triangle larger, Ditch the Flag

What about the Words "Obstinate" "Argumentative" (Something meaning detail oriented) along each side of the Triangle (Maybe even put them in Latin or another Language)

-> AFV News Discussion Board