Abrams and strange 50cal mount
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Abrams and strange 50cal mount Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:18 pm
    ----
Anyone got any images of the Abrams that were fitted with the 50cal mount on the mantlet/main armament israeli-style?

I recall seeing a couple of images a few years ago but I'm damned if I can remember where...

Cool

#2: Re: Abrams and strange 50cal mount Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:57 pm
    ----
- JimWeb
Anyone got any images of the Abrams that were fitted with the 50cal mount on the mantlet/main armament israeli-style?

I recall seeing a couple of images a few years ago but I'm damned if I can remember where...

Cool

CSAMM IS CURRENTLY PART OF THE ABRAMS TANK URBAN SURVIVABILITY KIT (TUSK)

CSAMM WEBLINK

Ask and ye shall ...... Wink

Don

#3: Re: Abrams and strange 50cal mount Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:49 am
    ----
Thanks Don!

Cool

#4: Re: Abrams and strange 50cal mount Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:41 am
    ----
Hi Jim! Hi Folks!

Here's another view, mins the gun. This photo comes from the US Army Images site by a Master Sgt, Johnacharles Van Boers.

This link is for the smaller photo with the caption:
www4.army.mil/armyimag...hoto=11632

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#5: Re: Abrams and strange 50cal mount Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:22 pm
    ----
Yeh, there's that MOUT fighting Abrams package that appears to be getting funded piecemeal. I can't recall the name. Includes slate bars at the tail, loader's mg shield (which I've also seen), reactive armor hullside, external infantry phone like the Marines have. The extra mg might be part of the MOUT upgrade. That looks like an M1A1SA? The commander's station's still got the remote-fire .50 cal.

#6: Re: Abrams and strange 50cal mount Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:24 pm
    ----
- mike_Duplessis
Yeh, there's that MOUT fighting Abrams package that appears to be getting funded piecemeal. I can't recall the name. Includes slate bars at the tail, loader's mg shield (which I've also seen), reactive armor hullside, external infantry phone like the Marines have. The extra mg might be part of the MOUT upgrade. That looks like an M1A1SA? The commander's station's still got the remote-fire .50 cal.

Think Elephants or late (and bad) Fleetwood Mac and you get... TUSK:

Jens O.
(in Peter Pan mode today)

#7: Re: Abrams and strange 50cal mount Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:09 am
    ----
There's the TUSK and BUSK for the Bradley. The items are being fielded as they are being finished instead of waiting for the entire package to be ready. The remotely sighted loader's M240 is really cool with the thermal eyepiece sight being taken from the Land Warrior system.

It makes more sense to send the stuff out as it is available. Why would you not give the loader a thermal sight that allows him to fire from inside the turret just because some other TUSK feature is not ready yet?

#8: Re: Abrams and strange 50cal mount Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:32 am
    ----
Isn't the ITT right on top of the VIN?

Cool

#9: Re: Abrams and strange 50cal mount Author: Geoff_walden PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:38 am
    ----
What are the differences (if any) between this mount and the old TELFARE .50 cal. mount that was used in the early 80s? It looks about the same to me, but I can't find any TELFARE pics around here.

The TELFARE was just for gunnery training, not meant for combat.

Geoff Walden

#10: Re: Abrams and strange 50cal mount Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:50 am
    ----
Hi Geoff! Hi Folks!

- Geoff_walden
What are the differences (if any) between this mount and the old TELFARE .50 cal. mount that was used in the early 80s? It looks about the same to me, but I can't find any TELFARE pics around here.

The TELFARE was just for gunnery training, not meant for combat.

Geoff Walden

I think the passage of time is the only real difference. What started out as a low cost training device was found to be a useful weapon system during MOTT operations.

My wild guess.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#11: Re: Abrams and strange 50cal mount Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:51 am
    ----
We had TELFARE on the Sheridans in the 70's. That's what the M1 picture reminded me of.

#12: Re: Abrams and strange 50cal mount Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:40 am
    ----
Telfare used the standard M2 with hand grips, the CSAMM uses the M2 with the M10 charging handle, the same type used in the M1/A1/A2 CWS. But basically, it is the same thing.

#13: Re: Abrams and strange 50cal mount Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:15 pm
    ----
Have a look at Jonathon Payne's interesting comments in the related "Combat OSV's in Iraq" thread just updated. May shed some light on the genesis of this system...or merely be a facinating coincidence. Contains and interesting link, too.

com-central.net/index....4671#54671

#14: Re: Abrams and strange 50cal mount Author: genepresta PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:46 am
    ----
The CSAMMS is much more accurate than telefare. This system is not used anymore and has been replaced with the CROWS (crew remotely operated weapons sytem) which is what is seen on most tanks. It utilizes a joystick system and internal screen to aim and employ the weapons system. This is just another way that we ahve adapted our systems to our threat. You won't hear this on the news though!!!!

#15: Re: Abrams and strange 50cal mount Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:57 am
    ----
- genepresta
The CSAMMS is much more accurate than telefare. This system is not used anymore and has been replaced with the CROWS (crew remotely operated weapons sytem) which is what is seen on most tanks. It utilizes a joystick system and internal screen to aim and employ the weapons system. This is just another way that we ahve adapted our systems to our threat. You won't hear this on the news though!!!!

Thanks for the 'chime-in' dude.

Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board