Can someone tell me how to tell a postwar Czech halftrack
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Can someone tell me how to tell a postwar Czech halftrack Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:07 pm
    ----
Can someone tell me how to tell a postwar Czech halftrack from a genuine German SdKfz-251 ? What if any are the identifying features?

#2: Re: Can someone tell me how to tell a postwar Czech halftrac Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:16 pm
    ----
Well,

these are not straight OT-810s, but one thing is the butt end, the Germans either had the angled end and sides or rather straight sides and a straight rear completely set at an angle on the late variants- not the mixed set-up seen here. The OT-810s also used a different track, the front end differed also, the bow plate of the original goes further straight down than on these shown examples, plus there were closed and semi-closed versions of the troop compartment roof, which could also feature a large commander's hatch with a "DushKa" mount- these are the main spotting features at a glance, there are plenty more.

I do believe all "SdKfz 251" in reenactor's hands are rebuilt OT-810s, as well as some in Museums, the real survivors are few and usually wellknown.

Jens O.

Last edited by Jens_O_Mehner on Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

#3: Re: Can someone tell me how to tell a postwar Czech halftrac Author: Dubliner PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:41 pm
    ----
nt

-> AFV News Discussion Board