NTC Desert Guard 87
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: NTC Desert Guard 87 Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:56 pm
    ----
First rotation where a NG brigade ran the show. Here is a rear shot of the 1/156 AR CO's track (He preferred a track to a tank for manuever purposes! He was on loan from TXARNG Laughing ) The seat with the wheel base lasted about a day before it was tossed out in the desert. May still be a location marker today! Rolling Eyes

Here is his tank, but I TC'd it most of time. When he wanted to ride in it, I was in the 113.

The OPFOR:

A couple of OC 551's. They used these in the live fire battles for added protection.

Last, but not least, never argue with an OC. They can find ways to keep you occupied Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

#2: Re: NTC Desert Guard 87 Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:45 am
    ----
Tanklord,
I was there for that rotation! I was with B Co. 1-166th Ohio National Guard and we were there as OPFOR augmentee's. After spending 2002-2006 as OPFOR with 11th ACR at NTC, I can assure you that the "wheel seat" is not a "location marker", but it might still be out there somewhere.
The next to last picture looks to be out in the "Hamby'd Grave" area of central corridor. In the right of the photo would be "114 Wadi", with "Granite Pass" in the upper center of the photo.
NTC draw yard vehicles were junk back then. Even now they aren't that great but most units now bring all their own vehicles due to FBCB2, computers, etc...

#3: Re: NTC Desert Guard 87 Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:27 am
    ----
We may have went toe to toe with you Jeff! We were the last rotation to use the M60 A1's and turn-in was a nightmare. They wanted like-new vehicles!

#4: Re: NTC Desert Guard 87 Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:55 am
    ----
You don't remember the bumper # of the tank do you? I was a tank-automotive mech then. Also did issues and turn-ins. I was one of the 'asshole' inspectors at turn-in.

#5: Re: NTC Desert Guard 87 Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:33 am
    ----
Sorry, TW but I killed many a brain cell since then! Actually, I was able to duck out of that part. I commanded convoys of wheel vehicles from the Dust Bowl to the rail head at Yerno. Many times I drove 5 tons, HEMMTTS?, whatever needed a driver. Super LT I was!

#6: Re: NTC Desert Guard 87 Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:29 pm
    ----
I'll throw in here....

The Dust Bowl ( Jan 1986 )

No desert Shades here....

OPFOR....Vismod BMP

Don

#7: Re: NTC Desert Guard 87 Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:00 pm
    ----
I was working there then (Jan '86). I always worked with 'A' Company.

#8: Re: NTC Desert Guard 87 Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:45 pm
    ----
- MarkHolloway
I was working there then (Jan '86). I always worked with 'A' Company.

I was The 1SG's Driver for A Company 2/5 CAV.

Don

#9: Re: NTC Desert Guard 87 Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:41 pm
    ----
Don, we flew from England AFB, Alexandria LA to the air base in San Bernadino CA (Can't remember if its George or Marsh AFB) We carried 3 M151's in each of 3 C-141's. I was tasked with taking this "Recon" platoon to Ft. Irwin by road march. Was pretty neat zipping down I-15 to Barstow. We stopped at that ghosttown at the Barstow exit and had chow before heading to Irwin. I have a lot more photos of the TOC and assorted vehicles associated with it. Do you guys want?

#10: Re: NTC Desert Guard 87 Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:43 pm
    ----
- Tanklord
Don, we flew from England AFB, Alexandria LA to the air base in San Bernadino CA (Can't remember if its George or Marsh AFB) We carried 3 M151's in each of 3 C-141's. I was tasked with taking this "Recon" platoon to Ft. Irwin by road march. Was pretty neat zipping down I-15 to Barstow. We stopped at that ghosttown at the Barstow exit and had chow before heading to Irwin. I have a lot more photos of the TOC and assorted vehicles associated with it. Do you guys want?

MARCH AFB. (You've been in Louisiana too long!) Wink

#11: Re: NTC Desert Guard 87 Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:40 pm
    ----
- Tanklord

Back then it was Norton AFB in San Bernadino. In 86, thats where we flew into, and out of.

Don

#12: Re: NTC Desert Guard 87 Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:18 am
    ----
Hey Mark,
You aren't kidding about a-hole inspectors! I literally almost came to blows with one that had the nick-name of "Peaches", (per his buddies). It takes alot to get me riled but I became so insensed with that flamer that our Battalion XO, (a Major) actually got between us as we exchanged unpleasantries. It was actually one sided as I didn't let him get a word in sideways as I berated him. I was well liked by the other civilian contractors and they told me that "Peaches" had a bad coke-habit besides being a little feminine. Peaches had a cheesy moustache and curly hair. Anyway, the other mechanics got such a kick out of my tirade on Peaches that they took my M106A2 later that afternoon after I gave it a rinse down, without making any corrections. Seems that Peaches had tenure / seniority there and no one liked him so when I made a huge scene, and called him every name I could think of to include his being a f-g and drug user, word spread fast and he was transferred before we even left the rotation.
Those M106's were literally junk. I found over 75 deficiencies with over 50 being dead-lines when we signed for those vehicles. Yet the mechanics said they were fine and signed off on the dead-lines so we could draw them. But when we tried turning them in, they wanted the dead-lines fixed by us!!! Man, I'm getting pissed all over again just writing this! Glad I'm not doing that any more.
As far as Air Force bases, San Bernardino has George AFB (Reserve). March AFB (Reserve) is in Riverside. Owing to its long history as a B-52 base,(March) the runway is very long (13,300 feet) and very wide (300 feet), with 1000 foot overruns at both ends. March is the largest Air Reserve base in area in the United States, (and also one of the oldest in continual use).

#13: Re: NTC Desert Guard 87 Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:31 am
    ----
A correction on George AFB, George Air Force Base (AFB) is located in Victorville, California, in the Mojave Desert approximately 90 miles northeast of Los Angeles. The base was reopened on 10 October 1950 and renamed George Air Force Base in honor of Brig Gen Harold Huston George (1892-1942). A World War I fighter ace.
Norton Air Force Base was a military installation of the United States Air Force located 58 miles east of Los Angeles, California adjacent to the west side of the City of San Bernardino in San Bernardino County. It was placed on the Department of Defense's base closure list in 1989 and the last of the facilities on the base were closed in 1995. The closure was cited as due to environmental wastes, inadequate facilities, and air traffic congestion (due to air traffic from Ontario International Airport, twenty miles west, and Los Angeles International Airport, 60 miles west).
I learned much of this doing research on a crashed F105 Thunderchief at Ft Irwin back in 1964 and doing research on Chuck Yeager for a Barstow newspaper.

#14: Re: NTC Desert Guard 87 Author: Burik PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:00 am
    ----
Hey guys. Just wanted to let you know I am doing a photo book about the NTC. I think a few here know about it, but it has been lagging due to other projects and switching publishers, and my real job! - that strategy of relying on the lottery to retire is not working.

Anyway, hopefully I will get this book going (still trying to agree w/ the publisher on which photos to use).

Bob

#15: Re: NTC Desert Guard 87 Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:59 am
    ----
Bob
I think I still owe you a few things. Haven't forgotten, just been a bit preoccupied. I look forward to your book.

Jeff
In Tanker world, there is the infamous 'Deadline Debbie'.

My last rotation, in June 2000, I had to sign for a tank with a defective guntube recoil seal. A BIG NO-NO. But the ole 'NTC STANDARD' which seemed to override deadline criteria,....got me that time.

During turn-in, I met up with an old Plt Sgt of mine. He was a Turn-in inspector. He was days from retirement, so he spent a lot of time sitting with me and my tank (awaiting parts...!!!). I got to 'hang out' with all the inspectors, to include Debbie. She was actually real cool.

When it came time to turn in my POS,....smooth sailing. All four of my tanks were turned in, with little difficulty. My TC's & I received Bde Commanders Coins as we were the first Platoon in the Task Force to complete turn-in. Really pissed off the Bn Cmdr, as my Platoon & I were considered the 'Red-Headed, Step Children" of the Battalion.

Sorry for being long winded
Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board