Got blowed up, ISO on possible new components
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  :| |:
-> Hardware

#16: Re: Got blowed up, ISO on possible new components Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:30 pm
    ----
Coolness. I'll go see what I can finagle with the sound card, although sound to me is no biggie (if I want great sound I can just crank up my new Fender amp the wife got me ) and I usually have the volume turned down low on the 'puter. I'm trying to keep under a certain price level just so as not to arouse suspicion... so if I go over the next hundred-dollar mark ($800), which I am now encroaching on, I might be expected to grill more dinners during the weekend or some other penance for a while.....I's not only a cheap piggie, but a lazy one... Wink

I'm going to go ahead an put the hammer down and order it, only because of tight scheduling right now. I'm on travel this week and need the components to be waiting for me when I get home so I can put it all together this weekend - I have some real-life business to take care of, much of which requires access to some docs and spreadsheets that are on the original drive......so I'm hoping, very much, that when connected as a second SATA drive, the drive will be recognized and I can yank that stuff over.

I'm fairly comfortable with this combo because I've seen reviews/feedback from others running the same components, maybe with some minor differences in RAM manufacturer selection (but stilt the same type and speed), and in that case I think I'm covered because the RAM is reputable, well-spec'ed, AND listed on the mobo manufacturer's website as supported.

Thanks for all the tips, they all helped TREMENDOUSLY and I'll post some info and maybe a pic or two on the new "GateGigabyteWay" frankenstein system!!!

Last edited by JG300-Stoopy on Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:40 pm; edited 2 times in total

#17: Re: Got blowed up, ISO on possible new components Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:36 pm
    ----
- HF_SlowHand
sounds rockin! just remember with PCI-E if you had (2) ATI 1650s it is still 512mb of memory (not 1024)... hence the bottleneck is video memory (and one good card in this case can beat two )...

I'm with ya 100%, Slowy. Always been a one-vidcard kinda guy....will be savin' up for a rompin' NVidia 8800 GTX or somethin', and won't need to be in a rush, so maybe they'll come down in price as well by the time I'm ready. Wink

Danke!

#18: Re: Got blowed up, ISO on possible new components Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:27 pm
    ----
maybe have a little read here Stoopy => www.pcstats.com:80/art...cleID=2156

fled
Cool

#19: Re: Got blowed up, ISO on possible new components Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:29 pm
    ----
That's interesting Fled.
Even if the processor is mildly overclocked, the stock Intel heatsink has enough performance overhead to handle the job while keeping noise levels in check.

I've been telling my lot over on BYO that since I built mine, using the stock fan, at the start of Summer but no bugger would listen!
lol

I shall keep a hold of that url.., for future BYO debating.
Wink

and Stoops, if sound's not too important, I'd definitely stick with what you chose and save the bucks. Just thought it might be worth a mention because it's such a better sound.
(yer tempted now, aincha?)
Smile

#20: Re: Got blowed up, ISO on possible new components Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:55 pm
    ----
Thanks for the link, Fled, was very gratifying to read!!! Now i'm gonna drool and slobber until the weekend comes and the parts arrive......or at least they should,. since the order is in, and I kicked in a few bucks to expedite it (three dollars, big woop) and then 2-day delivery. S'posed to ship in 24-48 hours so that should mean Friday at the latest.....WOOOOHOOO!!!

I just hope that master plan to recover the data from the original SATA hard drive works out.....THAT's the kicker around the whole deal!

Shades - OK, I listened to ya (mostly) and changed the sound card choice, but not to a heavy expensive board......it's a compromise, and it's in the Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme family, at least, making it a step up from the Audigy card. I found this lil' cheeso Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme card that should work in one of the two newfangled PCI-Express slots on the board:

www.newegg.com/Product...6829102016

Was twenty more bucks so I went for it, and what with the extra shipping and whatnot, hit my limit of eight bills for the whole schmiel. So I's done, done, done! If that silly-lil' card makes bleeping blooping noises I'll be satisfied, if it does better than that I'll be content, and if it turns out not to work at all for some weird PCI-e reason, I'll have something to complain, whine and gripe about, then fuss and tinker with, so I'll be thrilled....making it a complete win-win scenario!!

#21: Re: Got blowed up, ISO on possible new components Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:11 am
    ----
Stoopy,

To recover the data from the "old" HD, first get the new rig up and running when that's done then add the "old" HD to the system, it will recognize it as a new HD, when it asks to format say NO, when all goes well you should be able to acces all the data on that drive.

have fun

#22: Re: Got blowed up, ISO on possible new components Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:29 am
    ----
Another thought Stoop;
Don't forget to disable any onboard sound in your BIOS.
That will stop any unnecessary Gigabyte audio drivers loading in the first place, and possible conflicts with the Creative drivers later.

#23: Re: Got blowed up, ISO on possible new components Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:08 am
    ----
Thanks gents - will do, on both counts.

OOoo!!! Oooo!!! UPDATE!

Just checked email and I have a UPS tracking number, the stuff shipped out yesterday, same day I ordered it (guess that three-dollar 'expedite' charge paid off)!!

So, comments on newegg being FAST do appear to be correct!

#24: Re: Got blowed up, ISO on possible new components Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:49 am
    ----
*Note to self:

Stoopy may not be around much today or tomorrow.

#25: Re: Got blowed up, ISO on possible new components Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:22 am
    ----
just keep us posted on the "progress" Stoopy! Wink

AH !! and I know that the "adrenaline" can run high with the new toys, word of caution, one step at the time and double check everything, would be a darned shame if your hard earned cash gets blown up on the first attempt ..............

#26: Re: Got blowed up, ISO on possible new components Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:58 am
    ----
"...AND, on THIS build, I promise to make the wiring neat and ...." lol

Good luck Herr Stoopy! I can't wait to read the results... Wink

#27: Re: Got blowed up, ISO on possible new components Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:04 am
    ----
Thanks gents!!!

Wouldya believe the wifey called to let me know the first part arrived today?? Talk about fast - it's only one piece (an adapter cable I got as a contingency), but if the rest of the stuff from the other warehouses (3 so far) follow suit as rapidly, all should be good! Although I'm a little worried about the CPU coming from Southern California (which is cool) being matched to a mobo that's shipping from.....New Jersey.....but I figure if I check the mobo for traces of Jersey radiation and remove any traces of cow dung, and sprinkle some beach sand inside the case for good luck, they'll get along fine!

Yes indeedy you can bet your bottom dollar I'll be careful, have some anti-static precautions in place and take the time to do it right. Won't be able to start until Friday night so you're stuck with the sounds of hearing me slobber and drool for now!

#28: Re: Got blowed up, ISO on possible new components Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:35 am
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
the first part arrived today?? Talk about fast - it's only one piece (an adapter cable I got as a contingency)
But have you laid it out in its' proper place yet?

#29: Re: Got blowed up, ISO on possible new components Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:19 am
    ----
Being as the part is there, but I'm still 1500 miles away and won't see it until I get home, well, no I haven't.......but I HAVE been closing my eyes and dreaming about what it must look like.... Laughing

#30: Re: Got blowed up, ISO on possible new components Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:50 am
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
.......but I HAVE been closing my eyes and dreaming about what it must look like.... Laughing

-> Hardware