Got blowed up, ISO on possible new components
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  :| |:
-> Hardware

#31: Re: Got blowed up, ISO on possible new components Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:05 pm
    ----
Newegg's delivery is excellent. Everything I ordered (except for the case which arrived the next day) came in one box from their warehouse here in So. Cal within 2 days of ordering.

#32: Re: Got blowed up, ISO on possible new components Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:46 pm
    ----
Homey, if your reading this thread, lock your doors and keep Murphy in.

Mr. Green

#33: Re: Got blowed up, ISO on possible new components Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:49 pm
    ----
- Kitform
Homey, if your reading this thread, lock your doors and keep Murphy in.

Mr. Green

Having it out on Homey again Kit ?? Laughing Wink

#34: Re: Got blowed up, ISO on possible new components Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:50 pm
    ----
LOL ALL DOORS ARE LOCKED...but left a window or 2 open hoping for an escape :lol:. All we can hope for is that Murphy goes home!

#35: Re: Got blowed up, ISO on possible new components Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:27 pm
    ----
Well Gang...if you can read this, it means I'm up and runnin'!!!!!

Assembly went well & th'things runs like a striped-@ss APE!!!!!!!

Data retrieval didn't go as easily as planned and the only way I could get anything out of the original hard drive was to use a boot CD called "Ultimate Boot Disc" and run a utility on it called "GetDataBackNTFS".....it had to do several scans and rebuild all the file handles and allocation entries, took a few tries and SEVERAL passes by the time it worked. There was no other way to get the drive to be recognized and I tried EVERYTHING. It was definitely taco'd pretty bad, but we're in good shape I think.

The scan and retrieval started as soon as the system was up and runnign (yesterday afternoon) and went all night and into this morning.....so this new PC has been undergoing a very extensive burn-in and hasn't so much as hiccuped.

Now's the tedious process of reinstalling all that warm gooey software......Windows updates and AV and all that are done before I even hit the web, and next up is flight sims and utilities and all that goodness....

THANKS FER EVERYONE'S HELP AND ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT!!!!!!!!!

You frikkin' people ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Oh yeah.....Shades.....th'sound card thingy sounds GOOOOOOD...thanks for the advice!!!) Wink

#36: Re: Got blowed up, ISO on possible new components Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:59 pm
    ----
PHEW!
Thassa relief.
I was worried I might have sent you up the garden path.

Be careful of them Stripey-assed Apes.
Any ape's tricky but them stripey-assed ones.... YEESH!
They're mean.

Wink

#37: Re: Got blowed up, ISO on possible new components Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:36 pm
    ----
you ever seen a striped ass tree rat ?

just sit it on the heater long enough ........... rotflmao !!

btw, Stoopy good to hear your up and running again, wierd that the old HD gave you such a workout.

#38: Re: Got blowed up, ISO on possible new components Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:04 pm
    ----
WOOHOO Stoopy...

#39: Re: Got blowed up, ISO on possible new components Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:00 am
    ----
Yup!!! Workin' out OK here.....only issue I have so far is trying to import my email data from Outlook into the newly-installed Outlook. Stuff that I archived for a planned migration back in 2005 came in fine but it don't see anything else. And the address book won't import. Bummer.....lost a couple year's worth of email and payware registration keys for stuff I was hoping to reinstall. Sad

I'll keep working on it and as always there's lots of little tweaking and polishing to do...Rome weren't built in a day right?

Here's some sloppy fuzzy pix.....I changed my strategy and went down to the local computer superstore and bought a new case (CoolerMaster PowerSpec, front and rear fans and the entire front is mesh with filters so it can accomodate some heavy breathing). Picked it up for $49 and just moved my 550W Antec power supply there, and put the original Gateway power supply back in the old system so now I have two full systems (as soon as I also buy a replacement hard drive for the Gateway). Only other thing I had to do was pick up a single SATA DVD RW drive (another $49 for a Pioneer unit) and binga-bada-boom, done.

Prease to ex'scuse the fuzzy pix (the motherboard looks much better in person especially with those big ol' orange/gold Crucial memory stix)..anyhoo, Thar she blows!!

#40: Re: Got blowed up, ISO on possible new components Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:18 am
    ----
Nice to see someone tieing up those cables so they're out of the way, keeping the air circulation path free and therefore temperatures down.

I have a Coolermaster case myself (WaveMaster).
They are really good.
I have a motherboard tray in mine and there's so much space in it, I can hide all my cabling behind it. I park my bike in there as well at weekends.

#41: Re: Got blowed up, ISO on possible new components Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:28 am
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
Yup!!! Workin' out OK here.....only issue I have so far is trying to import my email data from Outlook into the newly-installed Outlook.

The easiest way to do that Stoopy is to copy the .pst file. On a new install of office, I always copy the .pst file to another location, then after the new install of office I copy the .pst file back.

Keeps all the calender/contacts/emails/notes etc as it was in the old install.

#42: Re: Got blowed up, ISO on possible new components Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:58 am
    ----
Looks good Stoopy, congrats on the new system.

Originally I was going to give away my old system after my new build but decided it was perfect for MS Office, email, internet and such so kept it. It also keeps unnecessary junk and the wife and kid off the new one wich will just have games and video editing software on it.

picked up an IOGEAR 2 port switcher which works awesome so I can use the same keyboard and mouse for both systems.

#43: Re: Got blowed up, ISO on possible new components Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:47 pm
    ----
Thanks again.....

Shades.....oh heck yeah I tie them cables up straightaway after it's obvious the thing will run, and I'll probably get some sticky cable holders for the top of the case since the PSU has GOBS of power leads, nice heavy ones, and I think gravity is gonna take it's toll on the DVD power and data cables over time. I was also thinking that case would be a good place to store lotsa tools and outdoor equipment in, or, if the fans give out, maybe a nice side of beef to slow-smoke when it's too cold to cook outside Wink

Kit - thanks for the tip. I have no PST file(s) anywhere. Working with Outlook Express version 6. Not really sure how it stores data files, I'd think one huge file or folder(s) so I'll keep hunting. Sure appreciate the leads.

Richard - that's 'zactly what I was thinking with the exception of using an extra keyboard, monitor and mouse from the basement spares pile. Wanna keep them email and solitaire people away from my precious system, I'm havin' too much fun flying now (good gawd awmighty!!!!)!!

Oh hey, and lastly, - THE COOL PART - the rig is now directly hooked up to an APC UPS so it has it's own battery backup and all that, which goes directly to the wall and carefully concealed under a small table next to the desk....about time I did that since we've had nothing but T-storms for a full week here.....and the evil power strip what helped cause this problem to begin with is still there as camouflage, it turns off the desk lamp and printer and stuff but the monitor and 'puter stay on now.....so "those people" who like to turn the power strip off for no reason can still do so and the system will keep chuggin' away! VICTORY!

#44: Re: Got blowed up, ISO on possible new components Author: Chuck_71st PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:27 am
    ----
Stoopy........you crack me up bud. Mr. Green One thing missing though...Most modern gamers and pc enthusiasts consider the standard "Beer hat" as regular gear that should be seen on most computer desks.

Gamers in the HEAT of battle have no time or the multi-tasking skills required to successfully chug their favorite brew while squeezing the crap out of a joystick with sweaty palms or navigating those elusive "WASD" keys .
If I were you I would consider that as my next "upgrade" or"computer item"( as I tell my wife) Wink

REMEMBER! being a competitive gamer requires skill but not skill alone. Having the proper equipment enhances the skills you have learned and makes your gaming experience jsut that, an experiance"hic" seemthung you wiell "buuuurp'" treaszueereer aallwaays... lkqiul hgfffffffffggr / ///// . ..................

Last edited by Chuck_71st on Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:18 am; edited 2 times in total

#45: Re: Got blowed up, ISO on possible new components Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:42 am
    ----

Hey man, I say if ya gotta have some pain ya can at least have fun with it! Havin' the thing working right just helps elevate the mood!

-> Hardware