Sherman w/ Pershing turret.
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Sherman w/ Pershing turret. Author: javallsLocation: Rio de Janeiro - BR PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:57 pm
    ----
Hi,

To those experts on Shermans.
I read at Hunnicutt's Sherman book, page 212/213, there were at least one assembled.

Is there any photos and more data about this vehicle.

Thanks in advance.

JValls

#2: Re: Sherman w/ Pershing turret. Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:04 pm
    ----
As for more data, IIRC they widened the turret ring, don't remember if they did anything to the suspension. Anyways, they soon realized that the Pershing turret was a bit too much for the M4 and as it was only intended as a possible stop-gap measure in the first place, it was quickly shelved since the tanks in theatre and the M36s proved enough to fight the diminishing German threat.

Don't think I've ever seen other photos than the one in Hunnicutt, though it's a safe bet that there must be more, since they usually documented them well at Aberdeen- might still be in the archives there or at NARA.

Last edited by Jens_O_Mehner on Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:26 am; edited 1 time in total

#3: Re: Sherman w/ Pershing turret. Author: javallsLocation: Rio de Janeiro - BR PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:43 pm
    ----
Thanks a lor for the info.

JValls

#4: Re: Sherman w/ Pershing turret. Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:15 am
    ----
I just checked Hunnicutt to confirm my memory. Both the Sherman and the Pershing had 69" turret rings. The increase didn't come until the M-47 when it went up to 73". With the M48 series it went to 85" where it stayed for the M60 series. I remember reading that there was fear that the Pershing turret would make the Sherman top heavy, especially with it's narrower width.

Last edited by bsmart on Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total

#5: Re: Sherman w/ Pershing turret. Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:03 am
    ----
- bsmart
I just checked Hunnicutt to confirm my memory. Both the Sherman and the Pershing had 69" turret rings. The increase didn't come until the M-47 when it went up to 73". With the M48 series it went to 85" where it stayed for the M60 series. I remember reading that there was fear that the Pershing turret would ake the Sherman top heavy, especially with it's narrower width.

Thanks for the info Bob, my memory was a bit murky on that.

#6: Re: Sherman w/ Pershing turret. Author: javallsLocation: Rio de Janeiro - BR PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:16 pm
    ----
Thank you guys.

JValls

#7: Re: Sherman w/ Pershing turret. Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:34 am
    ----
Hi Javalls! Hi Folks!

As far as I know, no pictures have surfaced yet. All we have to go on is the two drawings in Hunnicutt's Sherman book along with his report on when, where, who, and why it was turned down.

Razz However, I do remember seeing a picture taken on a firing range someplace in Europe that showed a very badly shot up M4A1 hull with a turret from a Pershing or possible a M46 Patton setting on it.

How's that for mudding up the waters! Twisted Evil

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#8: Re: Sherman w/ Pershing turret. Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:56 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle

As far as I know, no pictures have surfaced yet. !

You're right - they haven't surfaced yet. . . Smile

KL

#9: Re: Sherman w/ Pershing turret. Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:41 am
    ----
Hi Kurt! Hi Folks!

- Kurt_Laughlin
- Roy_A_Lingle

KL

Yet.....????

Kurt does that mean you are hot on the trial and looking through a large pile of very old goverment files?

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#10: Re: Sherman w/ Pershing turret. Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:21 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Kurt! Hi Folks!

- Kurt_Laughlin
- Roy_A_Lingle

KL

Yet.....????

Kurt does that mean you are hot on the trial and looking through a large pile of very old goverment files?

Sgt, Scouts Out!

Oh, they've been found, just not published.

KL

#11: Re: Sherman w/ Pershing turret. Author: A-109ELocation: Minneapolis PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:34 pm
    ----
- Kurt_Laughlin

Oh, they've been found, just not published.

KL

Aha! One might assume that the cryptic KL has this pic in his collection? Laughing

#12: Re: Sherman w/ Pershing turret. Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:37 pm
    ----
Five images plus a plan were published in an obscure magazine called Armour Force published in the late 1980s - Issue 14 IIRC. A friend has a number of issues and I think it only ran to 17 before expiring. Major Crismon provided them so it may be logical to assume they still exist amongst his collection.

I have a issue & contents list somewhere round her. I'll stick it on the web site sometime.

Sometime when I'm in his part of the country I'll call in and PDF the lot - no use asking him to do it as he is a total luddite...

Cool

-> AFV News Discussion Board