"MRAP's"
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: "MRAP's" Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:16 pm
    ----
Marines in Falluja point out blast marks on their Mine Resistant Ambush Protected Vehicles (MRAPs) to media during a visit by Defense Secretary Robert Gates to Camp Falluja in Iraq's Anbar province in this April 19, 2007 file photo. Pentagon spokesmen said Wednesday, Aug. 22, 2007, that while defense officials still believe contractors will build about 3,900 of the vehicles by year's end, it will take longer for the military to fully equip them and ship them to Iraq. (AP Photo/Lolita Baldor, File)

#2: Re: "MRAP's" Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:33 pm
    ----
Speaking of MRAPs, I saw this vehicle heading north on I-95 a week ago...

I have learned from my prior road trips to have my camera ready...

Anyone know which brand of MRAP it is? I havent been able to keep track of them...

Neil

#3: Re: "MRAP's" Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:53 am
    ----
The top vehicle is not the same as the bottom two.

From sculking websites, defence magazines and the net, I know International Harvester is making mine-proofed vehicles. Theirs have a very distinctive nose which is not obvious to me in either photo.

#4: Re: "MRAP's" Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:16 am
    ----
Its new to me as well and I also thought I had a handle on all of them...

Cool

#5: Re: "MRAP's" Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:00 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner

.....Anyone know which brand of MRAP it is? I havent been able to keep track of them...

Neil

At first I thought it looked like this one......

However on closer inspection, they are different.

Don

#6: Re: "MRAP's" Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:40 am
    ----
Here's a picture of the International. They no longer use the name International Harvester. "International Truck & Engine Corp" is a division of "Navistar". I think they got out of the tractor business.

#7: Re: "MRAP's" Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:11 pm
    ----
Remember, MRAP is an acronym for a class of vehicles, much like APC. It is not a specific vehicle.

#8: Re: "MRAP's" Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:38 pm
    ----
Rob, so have they assigned model numbers to these or nomenclatures?

#9: Re: "MRAP's" Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:21 pm
    ----
- Maple_Leaf_Eh
... I know International Harvester is making mine-proofed vehicles.

Old-fashioned thinking. My mind must still on the farm.

#10: Re: "MRAP's" Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:25 pm
    ----
- MarkHolloway
Rob, so have they assigned model numbers to these or nomenclatures?

These things are purchased in such a variety and with so many different mods added on an almost daily basis that the nonemclature could almost be along the lines of M23rdAugust2007 Wink

Cool

#11: Re: "MRAP's" Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:42 pm
    ----
Must be hard to order parts if there are so many different types.

#12: Re: "MRAP's" Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:14 am
    ----
More MRAP pictures - although the one I saw doesnt seem to be in it:

www.defenselink.mil/ph...=2&Count=5

Neil

#13: Re: "MRAP's" Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:32 pm
    ----
Ah, apparently the MRAP I saw last summer was the "Rock" built by Granite Tactical Vehicles.

www.granitetacticalveh.../4x4MB.htm

Neil

#14: Re: "MRAP's" Author: worthhaggerton PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:56 pm
    ----
Hello from Texas,
The bottom photo show a Dingo 2. I did not even know it was in the running.
They are used by the Germans and Austrian and I belive the Dutch have placed an order.

Worth haggerton

-> AFV News Discussion Board