Q: TV-series Jericho, What tank is the M1 mock-up?
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Q: TV-series Jericho, What tank is the M1 mock-up? Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:25 pm
    ----
I got hooked by the series Jericho, post apocalyptic themes have always fascinated me ... hey, I even liked "The Postman" (and proud of it).

In episode 15,"Semper Fidelis", of the first (and so far only) season a small group of Marines enters the town of Jericho and they have an M1 tank with them that looks real enough but is not. The obvious giveaway, 6 (edit: there's 5 wheels, I need new glasses) road wheels. My guess is that it's a M1 mock-up over a Cheiftain or Centurion tank but that's just a guess. I remember something similar being done for the Denzel Washington/Meg Ryan flick "Courage Under Fire".

Any insights?

The only good pictures I could find:

Last edited by Rikard_Hufschmied on Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:40 pm; edited 2 times in total

#2: Re: Q: TV-series Jericho, What tank is the M1 mock-up? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:51 pm
    ----
Wish I could see the track a little better. I want to say it's an M41 tank.

[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5mg8_s5GsP8A_wCjzbkF/SIG=120nori9l/EXP=1188057020/**http%3A//www.1jma.dk/Pics/tanks/M41bulldog.jpg[/img]

#3: Re: Q: TV-series Jericho, What tank is the M1 mock-up? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:18 pm
    ----
I think the pictures may be of two different vehicles. But from what I can see both have 5 roadwheels and single pin track so an M41 is a possibility

#4: Re: Q: TV-series Jericho, What tank is the M1 mock-up? Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:49 pm
    ----
How on earth did I count those wheels as 6? Man, I need new glasses ...

#5: Re: Q: TV-series Jericho, What tank is the M1 mock-up? Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:56 pm
    ----
Well, bad eyesight aside ... in my defense, I thought it looked to small for my first guesses on Centurion and Cheiftain; hence my question.

#6: Re: Q: TV-series Jericho, What tank is the M1 mock-up? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:26 pm
    ----
- Rikard_Hufschmied
I got hooked by the series Jericho, post apocalyptic themes have always fascinated my ... hey, I even liked "The Postman" (and proud of it).

I too am suckered into such themes. I actually like 'The Postman' & 'Waterworld' Cool

In episode 15,"Semper Fidelis", of the first (and so far only) season a small group of Marines enters the town of Jericho and they have an M1 tank with them that looks real enough but is not.

I didn't 'make it' to this episode, but the images do peak my interest in the show.

.......My guess is that it's a M1 mock-up over a Cheiftain or Centurion tank but that's just a guess. I remember something similar being done for the Denzel Washington/Meg Ryan flick "Courage Under Fire".

I didn't think it was actually very good, but I am a tough critic on Abrams representations.

Cool stuff, thanks
Don

#7: Re: Q: TV-series Jericho, What tank is the M1 mock-up? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:38 pm
    ----
Don... You wont like the part when they fire a home-made mortar round through the main gun...

Neil

#8: Re: Q: TV-series Jericho, What tank is the M1 mock-up? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:44 pm
    ----
I don't think it's a US vehicle. NOT M41 track.

[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/171/427275502_8ec668bc60.jpg?v=0[/img]

#9: Re: Q: TV-series Jericho, What tank is the M1 mock-up? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:51 pm
    ----
I think the driver's position, with that curve in front of it, looks like a Chieftain hull...

Neil

#10: Re: Q: TV-series Jericho, What tank is the M1 mock-up? Author: palic PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:53 pm
    ----
There is Chieftain "inside" her. Not only number of roadwheels, but idler and the shape of driver's hatch and the rim around it are markants...
Certainly - the shape of (two fron parts) anti-RPG skirts helps too.

#11: Re: Q: TV-series Jericho, What tank is the M1 mock-up? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:03 pm
    ----
Looks like the same track.

#12: Re: Q: TV-series Jericho, What tank is the M1 mock-up? Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:50 pm
    ----
So I wasn't that far off after all ... still counted 5 as 6 though, wrong was right ...huh?

#13: Re: Q: TV-series Jericho, What tank is the M1 mock-up? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:12 am
    ----
Is it 5 or 6? Looking at the picture again it looks like the rear (6th) wheel is just at the full high limit of travel as it is coming off the slope (I thought it was the drive sproket but looking again it appears to be too far forward

The driver hatch area bothered me all along but I thought it may be part of the mockup work.

#14: Re: Q: TV-series Jericho, What tank is the M1 mock-up? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:52 am
    ----
The MRS on the gun tube screams Chiefian.

There is 6 roadwheels visible.

Great vismod though!

Don

#15: Re: Q: TV-series Jericho, What tank is the M1 mock-up? Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:17 pm
    ----
- MarkHolloway
I don't think it's a US vehicle. NOT M41 track.

[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/171/427275502_8ec668bc60.jpg?v=0[/img]

I count 6 roadwheels. Why do I think S-Tank ...? There is just way too much maintenance required for a Chieftain to be used on a movie set.

-> AFV News Discussion Board