NEW TANK LISTS M-60'S and others
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: NEW TANK LISTS M-60'S and others Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:47 am
    ----
FYI, I am currently incorporating all of these listings into the AFV Register. In a few cases they confirm info I already have (sometimes with the addition of an SN I didnt have), and in a few others I have been able to confirm by finding a picture of the VFW Post or an article, etc...

The majority will say "Unconfirmed" on the right-hand notes section (not just in the footnotes). I briefly considered just listing all the unconfirmed in a supplement, but decided that the purpose of the entire register is to provide a single, easy to reference guide. Otherwise you'd have to flip between two different listings for each state - and I just didnt think that would be user-friendly. Hopefully we can confirm a number of these in the coming months etc.

Of course this also likely means a sizeable increase in the register - probably by about an additional 100 pages or so...

Neil

#17: Re: NEW TANK LISTS M-60'S and others Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:36 pm
    ----
I agree with your approach

#18: Re: NEW TANK LISTS M-60'S and others Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:39 pm
    ----
Yeah, I hate to put in a lot of listings that may be bogus - but I dont see another way around it. The good news is the majority - modern stuff like M60s, M113s, M114s etc - are probably accurate. Its the WWII stuff that is likely suspect...

Neil

#19: Re: NEW TANK LISTS M-60'S and others Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:30 pm
    ----
gone

Last edited by armyjunk2 on Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

#20: Re: NEW TANK LISTS M-60'S and others Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:10 pm
    ----
AJ2,
Thank you very much for getting this list. I now have to dedicate an extra year of my life to photograph all the M60's in the US Laughing .

Tanker 2010
There are 2 M60 slicks, M60A0's, what ever you want to call them I don't see on your list....

I know about those along with the one parked in front of the Manhattan Regional Airport between Junction City and Manhattan. I know of a few that aren't on the TACOM list either. I think the reason why they are not on the list is because technically they still are signed for by the Gaurd units if they are in front of an Armory. Even if they fall off the books at State level, the Army still has it noted that the State has it. It's only when they tranfer them to civilian resposibility they make the list. BTW, IIRC, You Kansas tankers have the honor of being the last US combat unit to use the M60 tank. Riley MATES is where you kept most of them. It was around the mid to late 90's when they finally were turned in.

AJ2,
All Army tanks still belong to TACOM. Almost all of these on the list finished out their active service in the Gaurd or Reserves (The reserves did have tanks until they moved all combat units to the gaurd). Not sure if you meant the Gaurd tanks fell under a differerent catagory like the Marines.

Joe D

#21: Re: NEW TANK LISTS M-60'S and others Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:31 pm
    ----
Hey Army Junk

if your interested, you can add an F-86H Sabre Dog and a UH-1 huey at Burlington Township at the municipal complex and park about 60 yards from Rt. 660 AKA Old York Road Burlington County NJ, and a P-38 in Thomas Maguire's markings on a pylon at Maguire AFB

Jeff Lewis

Last edited by piney on Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

#22: Re: NEW TANK LISTS M-60'S and others Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:31 pm
    ----
Joe, I'm not sure what I meant......you guys are the experts on this. But I do notice the Guard items, tracks displayed at Armories don't seem to be on the list. We have a dozen or so here in Louisville that aren't on it.

#23: Re: NEW TANK LISTS M-60'S and others Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:55 pm
    ----
AJ2,
Yes, I guess Neils list will probably be the most accurate list of ALL vehicles in the US. I still think it should be available in hard copy at all museums across the US. Now it's up to the CIA to verify a lot of these newer listings you acquired. Let the hunt begin.

BTW, I noticed on the TACOM list a lot of Tanks don't have Serial Numbers but instead have
#Num!
. Is this how it is actually listed or is it because it's on an excell sheet and the font is to crowded. Also, I don't see any M728's listed (CEV's).

Joe D

#24: Re: NEW TANK LISTS M-60'S and others Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:12 am
    ----
Neil,
No, the armory at 500 Airport Rd. is the Manhattan armory, the Bn. HQ. The one I'm talking about is in Junction City, on the other side of FT. Riley.

Joe,
Yup, they didn't call 1-635AR "Dino Tankers" for nothing. We got M1IP's in `98 and turned in the M60A3's. We were the last full Bn. to have them. D Co. 1-4IN was stil using A3's at CMTC in Germany as late as early `03, I saw them, but that doesn't count. They were the OPFOR there. When 635AR formed in `76 there were 2 Bn.'s with Slick 60's. They had them till the late `80's when they got the A3's. 2-635AR was stood down in`95.

Gary Owsley

#25: Re: NEW TANK LISTS M-60'S and others Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:31 am
    ----
Uh... tanker... 500 Airport Rd is listed in Junction City, not Manhattan.

Neil

#26: Re: NEW TANK LISTS M-60'S and others Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:24 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

There's an airport in Junction City? When did that happien?

Back when I was with the 1st Bn (Lt), 63rd Ar, (rear detachment) 1st Infantry Division in 1968-1969, there was no civilian airport anywhere near that part of Kansas. One had to go all the way to Kansas City (KC) for a civilian fiight.

During my time there, a C Company TF road marched Sheridans from Ft. Riley, via the interstate, to KC for an airlift, via C-133s, down to Ft Steward, GA. Those Sheridans were booking down the road and best I can remember, we didn't lose a one on that trip.

Some of my old history!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

P.S.
Note: C-133 is not a type-o.
Bob (F15) do you remember that type or are you to young to have known them?

#27: Re: NEW TANK LISTS M-60'S and others Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:40 am
    ----
Junction City Municipal Airport apparently:

maps.google.com/maps?q...p&ct=title

And this site lists B Co, 1-635 Armor as being at that address:
www.1800goguard.com/KS...x.php#unit

tanker, can you also tell me if there is an M114 in Junction City, perhaps at the Geary County Convention & Visitors Bureau or some local park?

Neil

#28: Re: NEW TANK LISTS M-60'S and others Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:47 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Folks!

Well I know about them and worked with a couple guys who had worked on them but they were gone by the time I came in.

#29: Re: NEW TANK LISTS M-60'S and others Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:11 am
    ----
Hi Bob (F15)! Hi Folks!

- bsmart
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Folks!

Well I know about them and worked with a couple guys who had worked on them but they were gone by the time I came in.

I remember them as the largest aircraft (A/C) I had ever seen. The two flights I was one, the A/C carried a M551, a M35 with trailier, and four M-151s with trailiers. The load masters picked up two of the jeep trailers, turned them over and placed them on top the other two jeep trailers. It was many years before I saw a C-5 prototype at Pope Air Force by Ft. Bragg.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#30: Re: NEW TANK LISTS M-60'S and others Author: Freiherr_KieferLocation: Washington sectional PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:54 am
    ----
for the undereducated here is a picture of the wee beastie with some jeeps for scale

-> AFV News Discussion Board