NEW TANK LISTS M-60'S and others
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#31: Re: NEW TANK LISTS M-60'S and others Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:06 pm
    ----
- Freiherr_Kiefer
for the undereducated here is a picture of the wee beastie with some jeeps for scale

This undereducated "Wild Sau" needs to have the "jeeps" pointed out to him, Herr Kiefer. Laughing

#32: Re: NEW TANK LISTS M-60'S and others Author: Freiherr_KieferLocation: Washington sectional PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:32 pm
    ----
"jeep" is das amerikaner version of ein "Kubelwagen" Mr. Green and they are in the cargo hold Smile much larger trucks surround the airplane

#33: Re: NEW TANK LISTS M-60'S and others Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:42 pm
    ----
- Freiherr_Kiefer
"jeep" is das amerikaner version of ein "Kubelwagen" Mr. Green and they are in the cargo hold Smile much larger trucks surround the airplane

Ach! Zo...ve cannot use ze jeeps for ze "scale"....ve must use ze trucks, Ja? Laughing

#34: Re: NEW TANK LISTS M-60'S and others Author: binder001 PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:01 pm
    ----
1) Thanks for sharing the list

2) All the M4-series designation for Nebraska are wrong. I have yet to find ANY 75mm gunned tanks in the area.

3) There are a number of M60A3s in Nebraska that aren't on the list. They came from the NE ArNG when the 1/195th Armor was eliminated.

Gary

#35: Re: NEW TANK LISTS M-60'S and others Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:05 pm
    ----
Aren't those 'jeeps' Mack five-tonners???

Gives you a a slighter better perspective on the size...

Cool

#36: Re: NEW TANK LISTS M-60'S and others Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:39 pm
    ----
Thanks for the heads up binder. Yes, the TACOM list has a lot of obvious errors - Sherman 76s listed as Sherman 75s, etc. I even found a German Weasel located at Selfridge ANGB listed as an M29 Weasel...

Unless the TACOM list is specific I will probably just say "M4 Sherman" and then "Unconfirmed" for any entries I dont already have.

That being said, I was a little surprised to find that about 70-80% of the M4 Shermans listed by TACOM were also on my list, although sometimes the model was misidentified...

Neil

#37: Re: NEW TANK LISTS M-60'S and others Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:03 pm
    ----
Neil,
Isn't the brain supposed to be one of the first things to go when you hang up the spurs? Your right. There's a Lingle in a little park across I-70 from the gate by the airfield on FT. Riley. It's not in Junction City, but very close. Don't know if care about this, but at that same little park if you climb this hill with about 900 steps, at the top is one of the last "Atomic Cannons". There was also another M114 back behind the Combat Air Museum at Forbes Field in Topeka.

#38: Re: NEW TANK LISTS M-60'S and others Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:11 pm
    ----
tanker,
any chance you could generally pick out where that M114 is from this satellite picture?

maps.google.com/maps?h...a=N&tab=wl

Neil

Last edited by Neil_Baumgardner on Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

#39: Re: NEW TANK LISTS M-60'S and others Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:36 pm
    ----
this should be easy with Google earth

#40: Re: NEW TANK LISTS M-60'S and others Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:42 pm
    ----
it was easy but its one of those areas that not clear on google earth, I could have pictures of that track....i'll look

39'02' 16.78"N
96'45' 47.45"W

Last edited by armyjunk2 on Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

#41: Re: NEW TANK LISTS M-60'S and others Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:43 pm
    ----
Yeah, just off Henry Dr up a windy road right?

Neil

#42: Re: NEW TANK LISTS M-60'S and others Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:46 pm
    ----
does that area show up clear on anyones elses Google earth?

#43: Re: NEW TANK LISTS M-60'S and others Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:48 pm
    ----
Try the link and use the hybrid view.

Neil

#44: Re: NEW TANK LISTS M-60'S and others Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:52 pm
    ----
about the same, each zig and zag has something sitting there, i was there 7 years ago so Ive forgotten what?

#45: Re: NEW TANK LISTS M-60'S and others Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:51 pm
    ----
AJ2,
From what I remember there was an M114, M59, some old artillery piece and the the Atomic Cannon at the top. It had gotton pretty neglected for a while but they started cleaning it up around 2002.

Neil,
I've been culling the M60 listings and there are some issues much like what you identified. Some serial numbers are very obviously wrong for what they ID, Case in point is the M60A2 they list in Hamburg NY with a Serial Number of 4185A, an obvious A3 SN. Others are Dead on. I guess they depended on whoever de-milled the tank to give accurate ID's and SN's. You'd be amazed how a Troop can screw up the simplest things without very specific guidance. I also see some double listings of the same tank. It's like it had been transferred to another location/owner and the old listing was not removed. I am hoping to clean up all the M60 stuff by the end of next week and confirm some of the questionalble ones. I will send you my results when I'm done.

Joe D

-> AFV News Discussion Board