Crosschecking TACOM list and AFVNews register (Neils list)
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Crosschecking TACOM list and AFVNews register (Neils list) Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:03 pm
    ----
I'm going to go ahead and start this as a thread. In randomly checking known entries in them with ones in my head I'm coming up with discrepencies including some I should have caught in Neils list before now

1) The Newark DE M3 Lee does not show up on TACOM list (not surprising from what I know of it's history) but Neil you have the wrong location for it. It is at VFW post 475 which TACOM shows as the location for an M42 Duster. I believe that Duster is in Neils list at VFW 3420 on Churchmans Lane (I have pistures of that one from several years ago) Also Neil your street address for the newark M3 is wrong (google only finds it in Newark NJ not DE) I think Veterans Lane is a better address. (from local knowledge Apple Road which appears closer is an elevated approach to an overpass. access is from the other side from Veterans Lane)

maps.google.com/maps?f...iwloc=addr

2) TACOM lists Unknown tank at American Legion 382 in Sanford. Neil lists an M7B2 Priest at the same Legion. I can't ID it in this Google map but I am pretty sure there is an AFV there

maps.google.com/maps?f...&z=18&om=1

As other folks correlate the two lists I would appreciate updates that they find (I'm sure Neil is dillegently comparing the two lists Wink )

#2: Re: Crosschecking TACOM list and AFVNews register (Neils list) Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:29 pm
    ----
Thanks for the Newark correction. I have personally been to the Sanford NC American Legion and can confirm that the M7B2 Priest is the only "tank" there...

Neil

#3: Re: Crosschecking TACOM list and AFVNews register (Neils lis Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:29 pm
    ----
The M7B2 in Apollo PA was a concern to the town for liability reasons, so they sold it a few years ago. They are going to get in trouble . . .

Also note that neither the Freeport M7B1 nor Curwensville M4A3(75)W appear on the list. (Both PA.) I think it's pretty clear that privately owned vehicles aren't listed, nor are ones at armories, which I guess are still considered to be under Federal control.

KL

#4: Re: Crosschecking TACOM list and AFVNews register (Neils lis Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:19 am
    ----
- Kurt_Laughlin
The M7B2 in Apollo PA was a concern to the town for liability reasons, so they sold it a few years ago. They are going to get in trouble . . .

Also note that neither the Freeport M7B1 nor Curwensville M4A3(75)W appear on the list. (Both PA.) I think it's pretty clear that privately owned vehicles aren't listed, nor are ones at armories, which I guess are still considered to be under Federal control.

KL

Do any of these show up on either the TACOM list or the AFV register? I don't see them on either. You holding out on us Kurt?

I agree that privately owned or 'Armory' vehicles are not covered I would assume that Armory vehicles are still considered under DOD control and private ones would be co concern of TACOM. This does leave a significant gray area. If a vehicle at a VFW or American Legion isn't listed can it be assumed that it was acquired from a source other than as a 'Loan' from the U.S. Army? When I was at a vehicvle meet earlier this year that was a very touchy subject. Some vehicel owners got very quiet whe the subject came up.

#5: Re: Crosschecking TACOM list and AFVNews register (Neils list) Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:26 am
    ----
I think serial numbers on the TACOM list need to be taken with a large grain of salt. Looking at the Thurmont MD M60. They say it is s/n 6. We have pictures to prove that isn't so. I think Neil lists it as #12 based on misinformation I gave him a while back. A later trip showed it to be #13 (The 12 was stamped on the Rt side of the glacias, 13 appears on tow lug and engine deck). So where does the 6 come from? Well the Reg number is 9B3096 so maybe they took the last digit from that? Confused

#6: Re: Crosschecking TACOM list and AFVNews register (Neils list) Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:06 pm
    ----
Agreed. But a lot are correct. Obviously when there is a conflict I take what I have from another source first. If there is no other source I footnote that it comes from the TACOM list.

Neil

#7: Re: Crosschecking TACOM list and AFVNews register (Neils lis Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:48 pm
    ----
- bsmart
- Kurt_Laughlin

Also note that neither the Freeport M7B1 nor Curwensville M4A3(75)W appear on the list. (Both PA.) .

KL

Do any of these show up on either the TACOM list or the AFV register? I don't see them on either. You holding out on us Kurt?

Well, Neil should have the info Smile These were reported on the G104 group in April or May when I visited them.

KL

#8: Re: Crosschecking TACOM list and AFVNews register (Neils list) Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:50 pm
    ----
- bsmart
I think serial numbers on the TACOM list need to be taken with a large grain of salt.

Yes. It's obvious (to me at least) that some are just the most visible casting numbers on the tank.

KL

#9: Re: Crosschecking TACOM list and AFVNews register (Neils lis Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:54 pm
    ----
- Kurt_Laughlin
- bsmart
- Kurt_Laughlin

Also note that neither the Freeport M7B1 nor Curwensville M4A3(75)W appear on the list. (Both PA.) .

KL

Well, Neil should have the info Smile These were reported on the G104 group in April or May when I visited them.

KL

Shoot, I knew I forgot to check somewhere Rolling Eyes So many lists so little time Sad

#10: Re: Crosschecking TACOM list and AFVNews register (Neils list) Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:30 pm
    ----
I've got 'em both - they were destined for V2.7 - but with the TACOM list I'm going to 3.0...

Neil

#11: Re: Crosschecking TACOM list and AFVNews register (Neils list) Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:07 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
I've got 'em both - they were destined for V2.7 - but with the TACOM list I'm going to 3.0...

Neil

I'm working with V2.5 Was there a V2.6? Shocked Instant obsolesence even in my hobby Rolling Eyes

#12: Re: Crosschecking TACOM list and AFVNews register (Neils list) Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:17 pm
    ----
Sorry, guess I never pushed out 2.6 either! Its been a hectic wierd summer for me - sorry!

Neil

#13: Re: Crosschecking TACOM list and AFVNews register (Neils list) Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:52 am
    ----
If anyone is interested

I am compiling an 'Enhanced TACOM List' with several extra columns (street address, zipcode, Google map link, field checked when and by whom, and notes) that is also slowly combining entries from Neils list that don't show up on TACOM.

I am working geographicly outward from Maryland (working on PA now)
I have been sending the info to Neil in chunks (whether he wants it or not Rolling Eyes )

It is in Excel format so it can be resorted by any of the columns easily
If anyone wants a copy let me know. It is a work in progress but if anyone wants to help let me know and I'll let you have a state Wink

Also I've already told one person who didn't have Excel on his machine- There is a freely distributable Excel workalike. Actually it has all the M$ Office components (Word, Excel, powerpoint) Its called OpenOffice and is downloadable at openoffice.org. It is quality software. I have used it on both Linux and Windows machines. Installing on Windows is insanely easy. current version is 2.21

#14: Re: Crosschecking TACOM list and AFVNews register (Neils list) Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:38 pm
    ----
Hi everyone,
Here are some confirmed sightings from the TACOM list not on the AFV register V2.5 and when I last seen them

M110 Jonesboro Arkansas Fall 2005
M110A1 Walnut Ridge Arkansas Spring 2004

I have seperated the ones from Arkansas and Tennessee and will try to track them down. Right now the majority that I can get to are in East Tennessee and shouldn't take long to find. I also can probably hit up a lot in the Eastern KY area. I eventually will also hit up the Alabama and Mississippi locations. Georgia is also close by. (48 MPG helps).

Neil,
A lot of the M60 SN's are accurate based on pictures I've seen. I will send you a list of what are obviously bogus numbers and why when I get done culling them.

Joe D

#15: Re: Crosschecking TACOM list and AFVNews register (Neils list) Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:34 pm
    ----
In line with "changing the subject" I just finished my first draft of the updated register. But I need to compare all the new "unconfirmed" to earlier listings that were already removed from prior versions - I am little concerned some locations that were previously debunked will creep back in...

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board