JoeD's Frankenstein (M48A5/M60A2)
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: JoeD's Frankenstein (M48A5/M60A2) Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:26 pm
    ----
Enough!

Its an XM48A4...

Six of them were converted. I wonder what happened to the remaining five?

Cool

#17: Re: JoeD's Frankenstein (M48A5/M60A2) Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:28 pm
    ----
i will take you all some pictures, drivers hatch, what else?

#18: Re: JoeD's Frankenstein (M48A5/M60A2) Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:40 pm
    ----
- JimWeb
Enough!

Its an XM48A4...

Cool

Revised information - we suspect it is an XM48A4E1. These were meant for Taiwan but IIRC the M60A2 turrets they eventually procured ended up being used in fortifications.

Cool

#19: Re: JoeD's Frankenstein (M48A5/M60A2) Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:54 pm
    ----
- armyjunk2
i will take you all some pictures, drivers hatch, what else?

Get a picture of the 'box' on the glacis.

#20: Re: JoeD's Frankenstein (M48A5/M60A2) Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:30 pm
    ----
mark what is the box? remember I am not a tanker.....

#21: Re: JoeD's Frankenstein (M48A5/M60A2) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:41 pm
    ----
- JimWeb
- JimWeb
Enough!

Its an XM48A4...

Cool

Revised information - we suspect it is an XM48A4E1. These were meant for Taiwan but IIRC the M60A2 turrets they eventually procured ended up being used in fortifications.

Cool

Jim,
Taiwan acquiring M60A2 anything is definitely something I'd like to hear more about. Like, why only six, why not M60A2's as originally configured, what kind of ammo were they going to use (conventional or Shillelagh to be supplied) and when was this deal? Any documentation of this? (I don't doubt you, but it's the first I've heard of it, I'd love to have a reference for my historical files on this, given my connection to the vehicle). Please tell us more. I'd love to see any pics of an M60A2 turret in a fixed fortification application.* This is one of the strangest stories regarding U.S. equipment (especially anything I worked on, particularly an Armor Board project) to come down the pike in a while! Shocked

*I go to Taiwan from time-to-time and have been from the North end to the Southern tip. There's a chance I could get a pic if we knew where one of these things was and it's not too sensitive a military area...and the Taiwanese can be pretty sensitive about their military areas. I'd sure give it a shot and I'm not without contacts.

#22: Re: JoeD's Frankenstein (M48A5/M60A2) Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:32 pm
    ----
- armyjunk2
mark what is the box? remember I am not a tanker.....

AJ

On the slope infront of the Drivers hatch there is a metal box that has been welded onto the tank that seems unusual to us. It appears to have some kind of connectors on one side. Any close ups that would help identify the purpose would be helpful.

#23: Re: JoeD's Frankenstein (M48A5/M60A2) Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:39 pm
    ----
WILL DO

#24: Re: JoeD's Frankenstein (M48A5/M60A2) Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:44 pm
    ----
Hi Jim! Hi Folks!

- JimWeb

Its an XM48A4...

Cool

I though the US Army assigned "A4" to the IDF modified M48s? Confused

Very confuzed! Shocked
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#25: Re: JoeD's Frankenstein (M48A5/M60A2) Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:52 pm
    ----
this box??

#26: Re: JoeD's Frankenstein (M48A5/M60A2) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:11 am
    ----
- armyjunk2
this box??

Yep. And, if you can get a view to the right of that, above and to the right of where those white printed numbers are, that would be interesting too. There should be a set of fire extinguisher handles there that seem to have been removed. Maybe you can confirm that. (that area is out of view behind the left fender in this angle)

#27: Re: JoeD's Frankenstein (M48A5/M60A2) Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:25 am
    ----
A4 was assigned to M48s that were to receive M60A1 turrets when it was assumed that there were to be lots of surplus A1 turrets due to the A2 program... It fell through when a lot less M60s were converted to A2s than originally planned... Hunnicutt's Patton 234-237.

Neil

#28: Re: JoeD's Frankenstein (M48A5/M60A2) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:41 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
A4 was assigned to M48s that were to receive M60A1 turrets when it was assumed that there were to be lots of surplus A1 turrets due to the A2 program... It fell through when a lot less M60s were converted to A2s than originally planned... Hunnicutt's Patton 234-237.

Neil

Which was probably a good move. BTW, to the best of my knowledge, though I lack documentation, my "insider information" of the time was that the reported 500+ completed M60A2's at the time of the Initial Production Test were all the ones ever built. That is to say, we were testing a "done deal", not an initial production lot, but the first few vehicles of what represented a complete package ready, parked and awaiting delivery. Whatever that tells you.

#29: Re: JoeD's Frankenstein (M48A5/M60A2) Author: Alf_AdamsLocation: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:06 am
    ----
Here is a photo of a similar vehicle that I took in a storage compound of the Patton Museum in 1999. Unfortunately I only took one shot of it, so I have no more details. I asked the staff about it, and was told that it was just a case of the museum having an extra M60A2 turret, with nowhere to put it, and an M48 hull with no turret, so they put them together. Perhaps someone with contacts at the Patton Museum can tell us if this vehicle is still there.

#30: Re: JoeD's Frankenstein (M48A5/M60A2) Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:19 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner

Neil

Hate to be a stickler for details, but that was M60 turrets, not M60A1 turrets.

-> AFV News Discussion Board