Power supply recommendations please
-> Hardware

#1: Power supply recommendations please Author: Chuck_71st PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:56 pm
    ----
Recently my Antec 450watt psu crapped out on me. I would like to get a
600 watt to replace it and i'm currently using a buddy's 400 watt. (which really sux because i had to disable my SLI due to instability issues). I realize that not all psu's are created equal hence my dilema.

Being the blue collar working stiff that I am...I would like to only spend around 100-130 bucks for one. I have seen lots for around 80(cdn) but they seem to vary in amps on the rails and the 12v and the 3.3v Shocked this is where I start to lose it.

Specs please! ok here they are.

Asus A8N-sli SE mb
Amd 3800+ X2 cpu (939)
2 BFG 7600 gt'S
2 Gig Ram
Audigy2 sound card
250 Gig HD x1
DVD rom x1

Thanks in advance! Mr. Green

#2: Re: Power supply recommendations please Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:21 pm
    ----
Hi bud,
My tuppence;
Don't scrimp on your PSU.
It's as important as any other component, if not more so.
I like Antec's for PSU's.
My last was a TruBlue 480w and the one I have now is a basic 500w.
One was expensive, one wasn't (wasn't cheap though).
Cheapies won't last long and won't give you a steady volt.

THIS will give you a pretty good idea of how much power you need.
I add 100w to whatever they say to be on the safe side.

#3: Re: Power supply recommendations please Author: Chuck_71st PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:34 pm
    ----
thanks shades! thats a cool calculator, it came to 559 watts reccomended.
so i think getting a 6or 700 watt psu will be good for me for now. Antec seem to have a good name and they are reasonably priced. I'm gonna wait for some more replies.
thanks again

#4: Re: Power supply recommendations please Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:26 pm
    ----
Got an Antec (Power Trio 550W) and have had it for some time (upgrade I put in my old Gateway) and it's runnin' real well and strong!

Warn't cheap but it pumps lotsa electrons through the lil' electron-hoses that go to all the lil' blinkenlight and whirly electronical stuff, and doesn't shoot out sparks or nuthin' when i turn it on our walk by the 'puter!

So it's GOOD!

#5: Re: Power supply recommendations please Author: Chuck_71st PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:05 pm
    ----
Thanks Stoop! Judging by the way your typing you got that beer hat upgrade I told ya about

GOOD ON YA!!

#6: Re: Power supply recommendations please Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:04 am
    ----
Another really good PS is Thermaltake. I suspect it's really made by Antec as they look close in design. Smile

#7: Re: Power supply recommendations please Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:46 pm
    ----
I have a 740watt OCZ in my coffe warmer...

You should be good with a 600watt.

Horses for courses when it comes to makes, just don't skimp on the psu, you gets what you pay for IMHO.

If you don't need all the leads that hang out of the psu, then have a look at the hipper psu or equivalent that have removable connectors.

#8: Re: Power supply recommendations please Author: Chuck_71st PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:58 am
    ----
Well, i picked up a cooler master 600watt sli dual rail power supplyfor 120 bucks. I put her through the paces and she seems to run great. Time will tell Wink

#9: Re: Power supply recommendations please Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:59 am
    ----
Coolermaster have a good rep' as well, though mainly for case design.
Think they're relatively new to psu's but their users seem happy enough.
Not sure whether they make them themselves or they're third party and labelled as Coolermaster's own.

#10: Re: Power supply recommendations please Author: Chuck_71st PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:55 am
    ----
You never really know anymore....everybody is in bed with everybody these days.......

#11: Re: Power supply recommendations please Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:24 pm
    ----
I never touched her officer!
Chuck told me to do it!
HONEST!

#12: Re: Power supply recommendations please Author: Chuck_71st PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:48 pm
    ----
Cool

-> Hardware