Sherman in Rogersville TN
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Sherman in Rogersville TN Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:52 pm
    ----
Greetings,

This Sherman is located at the American Legion Post # 21, 1924 Main Street. It is a beautiful tank that someone has put a lot of work into. I could not find any SN on any lugs including the rear. I did find some odd numbers stamped in the front but they were too covered in paint to make out. I did not dare scratch the paint off to get a better look (It’s not a beat up M60).

I recognized the name of SGT Siler, he was killed when the 278th deployed to Iraq. I’m pretty sure CPL Rowland was the other from this area. I am curious why it’s marked 4th Squadron, since that was the Aviation side that didn’t deploy. Maybe the local unit has been re-designated and they marked it as such. I have more pictures if anyone is interested in a particular area.

Joe D

#2: Re: Sherman in Rogersville TN Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:13 pm
    ----
Joe, I'd like a copy of of your detail photos, please.

KL

#3: Re: Sherman in Rogersville TN Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:06 pm
    ----
Joe how did you get the high up photographs and BTW nice pics

#4: Re: Sherman in Rogersville TN Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:14 pm
    ----
Hi AJ2! Hi Folks!

- armyjunk2

Joe how did you get the high up photographs and BTW nice pics

Joe uses a pole to get the camera up in the air for those high shots.

Spot Report for Joe_D!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#5: Re: Sherman in Rogersville TN Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:34 pm
    ----
I've used my tripod, holding it as high as I can, but that adds only about 4 feet. Thats a nice angle for a photograph....nice pics

#6: Re: Sherman in Rogersville TN Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:39 pm
    ----
I thought the bumper # may have meant they were with the 4th Armored Division in war but I can't find anything on it.

#7: Re: Sherman in Rogersville TN Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:25 pm
    ----
Joe_D, you're right that's a nice job! Too bad it will be weathered in a few years.

#8: Re: Sherman in Rogersville TN Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:10 pm
    ----
I believe the 278th Armor is the Tennessee National Guard.

Check out their story here:

278th ACR

#9: Re: Sherman in Rogersville TN Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:29 pm
    ----
- Joe_D

This Sherman is located at the American Legion Post # 21, 1924 Main Street.

I notice something in this photo that I have NEVER seen before. Look at the grills on the rear end. They are being held up by hooks of some kind that I have never noticed on the rear of Sherman hull.

Another point. Is anyone else seeing a flat type of hinged hatch on the TC's cuplo? At first I was thinking it was just a replacement metal plate, but I think I am seeing hinges for it.

Very interesting!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#10: Re: Sherman in Rogersville TN Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:20 am
    ----
[quote="Roy_A_Lingle"]
- Joe_D

I notice something in this photo that I have NEVER seen before. Look at the grills on the rear end. They are being held up by hooks of some kind that I have never noticed on the rear of Sherman hull.

Another point. Is anyone else seeing a flat type of hinged hatch on the TC's cuplo? At first I was thinking it was just a replacement metal plate, but I think I am seeing hinges for it.

Very interesting!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

A) That is relatively rare. These are the armored exhaust covers (normally seen on M4A3 HVSS vehicles) folded up to allow access to the engine. The plate with the turnbuckles attached is normally horizontal above the ground. In other words, the covers have been rotated 180 degrees from normal.

B) The TC hatch had a rotating center section within the folging hatch. The rotating part is what has been plated over.

KL

#11: Re: Sherman in Rogersville TN Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:54 am
    ----
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the nice comments on the pictures, Good old camera pole. I am making a new one with pistol grip and articulated head. Trying to get it so you can mount most digital Cameras. Even working a laser pointer into it based on Jim's suggestion a year ago. Lack of time has been my biggest obstacle so far. That and my cars being a priority.

Tank Lord,
I know the 278th well. Had been a Unit advisor for them in 2004 during their mobilization.

Kurt,
Send me your e-mail address via PM.

Joe D

#12: Re: Sherman in Rogersville TN Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:12 pm
    ----
Joe what is the length of the camera pole?

#13: Re: Sherman in Rogersville TN Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:37 pm
    ----
From Joe DeMarco, the Sherman expert on G104:

"Neil, please thank Joe D. for posting the photos. Indeed, that's the same Legion
Hall & location where I saw the empty pad in March, 2006. The Legion is a very
nice 2 story brick building, & the town had a fine 18th/19th Century flavor.
It's on my list of potential places to retire. If you look back in the G104
Archives maybe 3 years, you might find where a gent mentioned that he was taking
the Rogersville M4A3 to his shop to repaint it. I had a brief correspondence
with him, & he said he would get the info from it as he was doing the work, but
I never heard back from him. I tried to call him when I passed through there,
but got his machine. He's obviously done a very nice job refurbishing that - it
looks great! The Geocachers listed a Sherman seen in Morristown, TN which you
may have on your Register. I'm pretty sure that was where the guy's shop was, so
you can probably remove that from your listings. I'm sorry I didn't get to see
that before, & will look forward to checking it out in the future."

Neil

#14: Re: Sherman in Rogersville TN Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:15 am
    ----
this might be of some interest to the picture pole crowd, crude but it works

www.mediachance.com/di.../index.htm

Jeff Lewis

#15: Re: Sherman in Rogersville TN Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:16 pm
    ----
AJ2,

The camera pole I currently use is a three section painters pole made of aluminum tubing. It is very light even with my camera mounted. For those high shots I hold it up with one arm fully extended which gives me about 16 feet of elevation (I'm little over 6 feet and have long arms). I mounted a bicycle de-railer cable with a small bracket on it that depresses the shutter button when I pull it with my left hand. Crude but effective. The best part is it comes apart and stores easily in my car.

Joe D

-> AFV News Discussion Board