M551 at Greeneville TN
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M551 at Greeneville TN Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:57 pm
    ----
Hi everyone,

Well here is the first of probably many confirmations from AJ2’s TACOM list. If it wasn’t for it I would’ve never known it was there. It is located at the American Legion Post # 64 on the corner of Snaps Ferry Road and Fairground Street. It is a very well taken care of vehicle. I approached an officer working a minor fender bender after searching in vain. It just so happened that one of the individuals involved in the mishap worked at the Legion and gave me exact directions to it. Google gave me the address for the PO Box and I was ready to give up.

The listing shows serial number 904. I found the RN #12C83568 and a serial number of #51. It was stamped on the right front hull and the rear deck. My memory is a little sketchy but I’m pretty sure that’s how our 551’s were marked at Irwin in the 80’s.

All you former Sheridan Jockeys can now comment (Tumbleweed) on this one. It does have the bolts for mounting the belly armor.

Joe D

#2: Re: M551 at Greeneville TN Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:14 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
Hi everyone,

All you former Sheridan Jockeys can now comment (Tumbleweed) on this one. It does have the bolts for mounting the belly armor.

Joe D

Joe...well, I'm shocked to see one in such good and complete condition on outdoor display (even has it's "surfboard"). Sheridans seem to suffer in that mode, particularly. This a later version, methinks (no bore evacuator, later version exhaust). Usually the water barrier swim kit covers suffer first after exposure to the sun and they dry rot out...these look pretty good. Probably they should be painted with black paint to protect them (not correct, but resembles the black rubber stuff that they originally were), otherwise they tend to go gray, then almost white before they rot through. It looks like they just painted everything the same color, including the trackpads and the clear section of the surfboard. Better than rust and neglect, I suppose.

I wish they'd erected a sign announcing the "American Legion Post", but I guess you can't have everything.

#3: Re: M551 at Greeneville TN Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:28 pm
    ----
Thanks, Joe! That's got to be the best looking Sheridan I've seen on display. They've done a good job and it looks like all the parts are there.

#4: Re: M551 at Greeneville TN Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:00 pm
    ----
This one in Rockport In isn't bad

#5: Re: M551 at Greeneville TN Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:15 pm
    ----
That's an M551A1. Note how short the barrel looks. It's because the gun is 'out of battery'. This happens when the gun is elevated and the gun mount loses it's hydraulic pressure.

#6: Re: M551 at Greeneville TN Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:24 pm
    ----
- MarkHolloway
That's an M551A1. Note how short the barrel looks. It's because the gun is 'out of battery'. This happens when the gun is elevated and the gun mount loses it's hydraulic pressure.

What Mark said...also, if I'm not mistaken, that one has the housing for the laser rangefinder still mounted forward of the TC's birdcage.

-> AFV News Discussion Board