question for Joe D
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: question for Joe D Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:17 pm
    ----
hi Joe

came upon this picture in a russian book labeled as M60A2

any thoughts?

Jeff Lewis

#2: Re: question for Joe D Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:31 pm
    ----
That must be the version that had a 20mm (?) cannon on it. I'm speculating but you notice the hatch in front of the loader's hatch? Well the MBT-70 and XM-803 had the driver in the turret. I wonder if they tried that here? Anyway, good find. Never seen that vehicle before.

#3: Re: question for Joe D Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:35 pm
    ----
ICFC turret (originally developed for the T95) on an M60A1 chassis, also featuring a prototype cupola that eventually found its way to the M60A2... Cool

#4: Re: question for Joe D Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:00 pm
    ----
There was a thread with other views on this item posted previously, viewable here:
(the problems with the design will be glaringly obvious)

www.com-central.net/in...pic&t=3135

#5: Re: question for Joe D Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:24 pm
    ----
Yup, it's what I thought. Note the cupola in front of the loader is still facing forward? (In relation to the hull.) That's the driver.

#6: Re: question for Joe D Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:21 pm
    ----
looks like that was thought up by one of the high priced architects I used to work around. One designed a bathroom that you couldn't get into because the door hit the toilet before it opened enough to get in. didn't figure it out until the doors were hung even though we "ignorant" construction workers had been telling him about it for weeks. Thosands of dollars wasted to rectify that little gem Sad but true story.

Jeff Lewis

#7: Re: question for Joe D Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:57 am
    ----
Hi everyone,

Jeff, I believe this turret (M60 pic you posted) now sits atop an test mule M48A3 hull in Armada Michigan. Somebody posted a picture of it a while back and a discussion started on if it was a true test vehicle or a cobbled up (dare I say "Franken-Tank). I was of the opinion it was cobbled up. If you look closely the hull is the same one used to test all the 152mm turret incarnations. Notice the back deck still has the remnants of the travel lock mount from when it was an M60A0. I don't own Hunnicutt's "Patton" but I believe they even tested the "K" turret on this hull.

Joe D

-> AFV News Discussion Board