M1 Losses
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M1 Losses Author: blair PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:56 am
    ----
Found this link
www.youtube.com/watch?...ed&search=

I know its a propaganda piece mixing a lot of different wars images but the damage to the M1's is pretty amazing.

#2: Re: M1 Losses Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:23 am
    ----
- blair
Found this link
www.youtube.com/watch?...mp;search=

I know its a propaganda piece mixing a lot of different wars images but the damage to the M1's is pretty amazing.

There are many photos or video stills of the same vehicle. Also some of the tanks burned due to mechanical failures and were not victims of enemy (or friendly fire).

Of course many are catastrophic damage, but th crews of those tanks survived. Thanks to the designers of the Abrams project.

I also recognize several shots of Desert Storm casualties.

Oh well, so much for truth in advertising....

Regards
Don

#3: Re: M1 Losses Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:50 pm
    ----
I recall back in 1999(?) seeing portions of an official report on Abrams fires. It wasn't good. something like 500 vehicle fires (at time of writing) since production began due to a whole laundry list of causes. At the time I posted the info on this forum and couldn't get any ex-M60 tankers to recall tales of their old tanks spontaneously combusting. Between IEDs, RPGs, platter mines, constant wear in gritty environments and the occassional self-immolation I wonder if any of those thousand-odd Abrams serving in Iraq will be worth much of anything besides scrap when they start coming home.

#4: Re: M1 Losses Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:27 pm
    ----
Cool

Last edited by Dontos on Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total

#5: Re: M1 Losses Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:27 pm
    ----
- mike_Duplessis
I recall back in 1999(?) seeing portions of an official report on Abrams fires. It wasn't good. something like 500 vehicle fires (at time of writing) since production began due to a whole laundry list of causes. At the time I posted the info on this forum and couldn't get any ex-M60 tankers to recall tales of their old tanks spontaneously combusting. Between IEDs, RPGs, platter mines, constant wear in gritty environments and the occassional self-immolation I wonder if any of those thousand-odd Abrams serving in Iraq will be worth much of anything besides scrap when they start coming home.

Isn't that the reason for the rebuild process taking place at Anniston? The idea as I understand it is to update the vehicles to the latest standard and bring all wear parts back to a 'zero time' state

#6: Re: M1 Losses Author: genepresta PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:50 am
    ----
If you have the ability to remark on these images _ YOU SHOULDN'T

OUR ENEMY IS WATCHING AND READING!

#7: Re: M1 Losses Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:56 am
    ----
Hi Gene! Hi Folks!

- genepresta

If you have the ability to remark on these images _ YOU SHOULDN'T
OUR ENEMY IS WATCHING AND READING!

That is very true and if you have been hanging out here very long, you will have seen we do police ourselfs when something comes up that may not be good for the folks still working in the sand box.

As for the photos in that flick, all of those photos have been around for some time and have been well descussed in the passed here, on other DGs and in disclassified magazines that anyone can get a subcription to. There a number of photos that are not even from the war zone. There is one picture on that film that was part of a group of photos that when they first hit the internet, someone from the Department of Army came up and requested those photos not be posted and passed around because they had not been cleared for security reasons. That group of pictures did disappear for a while. There is nothing new about that film or the comments posted here.

Did anyone notice the IDF Merkava standing up on it's front end with the gun barrel stuck into the ground?
Wonder how that happiened in Iraq?
After all, they do claim they caused that.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

-> AFV News Discussion Board