Aberdeen jagdtiger
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Aberdeen jagdtiger Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:39 pm
    ----
Hi all, in particular Bob & Neil

I found a picture of the Jagdtiger I've never seen before. Looks like it was palleted to be shipped To the US or it has just arrived

Jeff Lewis

#2: Re: Aberdeen jagdtiger Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:41 pm
    ----
I just looked closer and since the Flatbed says Albany it must have been taken when it arrived

Jeff Lewis

#3: Re: Aberdeen jagdtiger Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:00 pm
    ----
- piney
Hi all, in particular Bob & Neil

I found a picture of the Jagdtiger I've never seen before. Looks like it was palleted to be shipped To the US or it has just arrived

Jeff Lewis

In the background is a 251/9. I wonder if that is the one at the Patton Museum, or does APG have a 251/9 ??

Don

#4: Re: Aberdeen jagdtiger Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:35 am
    ----
I don't know if they ever had a 251/9, I have seen (many moons ago) a plain 251, and I know they had at least 3 more, a Flamethrower model, one with rocket launching frames and another listed as simply 251 SPW so they may have had one or it may be Knox's HTH

Jeff Lewis

#5: Re: Aberdeen jagdtiger Author: zundappukLocation: Behind the Westwall, really! PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:12 pm
    ----
[/quote]

In the background is a 251/9. I wonder if that is the one at the Patton Museum, or does APG have a 251/9 ??

Don[/quote]

Don, to my eye it appears to be an Sdkfz 250/8 Neu Ausf.

Now, where did that end up?

David

#6: Re: Aberdeen jagdtiger Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:53 am
    ----
- zundappuk

Don, to my eye it appears to be an Sdkfz 250/8 Neu Ausf.

Now, where did that end up?

David[/quote]

Here is Garry Redmons shot from "Armorfortheages.com"

A photo from the old Patton Museum:

More Recently:

Don

#7: Re: Aberdeen jagdtiger Author: zundappukLocation: Behind the Westwall, really! PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:03 am
    ----
Don,

Yup that is a SdKfz 251/9, however in the background of the JagdTiger on the flatcar is an SdKfz 250/8.

In this pic you can see the shape of the nose armour of the SdkFz 250 Neu art, the same type as in the Aberdeen picture.

vincesgallery.smugmug....40204-L-LB

David

#8: Re: Aberdeen jagdtiger Author: robertkru PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:06 am
    ----
The vehicle in the background is a SdKFZ 250/8. Compare the wider and flater engine deck with 251/9. This vehicle is an unsolved mistery. Until now there are only few pics from outside and none from inside the vehicle available. It would be VERY interesting, what happened with this halftracks and if someone took closer pics from the vehicle. He could earn a lot of money with them.
Regards from Vienna
Robert

#9: Re: Aberdeen jagdtiger Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:54 am
    ----
I hate to speculate, but if the vehicle was at Aberdeen it might have become a victim of the Korean war scrap metal drive. From coversations will Bob Smart, several Tigers were scrapped along with many other vehicles while Col. Jarret was away on another assignment. Sad
Who ever authorized it is probably still on duty on Attu somewhere counting glaciers.

Jeff Lewis

#10: Re: Aberdeen jagdtiger Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:00 am
    ----
- robertkru
The vehicle in the background is a SdKFZ 250/8. Compare the wider and flater engine deck with 251/9. This vehicle is an unsolved mistery. Until now there are only few pics from outside and none from inside the vehicle available. It would be VERY interesting, what happened with this halftracks and if someone took closer pics from the vehicle. He could earn a lot of money with them.
Regards from Vienna
Robert

Thanks. It appears it is the 251/8.

All these similiar vehicles....confuse my already cluttered mind....

Don

#11: Re: Aberdeen jagdtiger Author: zundappukLocation: Behind the Westwall, really! PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:46 am
    ----
- Dontos

Thanks. It appears it is the 251/8.

All these similiar vehicles....confuse my already cluttered mind....

Finger trouble Don? Wink

Best

David

(Edited to fix a problem with the 'quote tool' - Bsmart)

#12: Re: Aberdeen jagdtiger Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:22 am
    ----
- piney
I hate to speculate, but if the vehicle was at Aberdeen it might have become a victim of the Korean war scrap metal drive. From coversations will Bob Smart, several Tigers were scrapped along with many other vehicles while Col. Jarret was away on another assignment. Sad
Who ever authorized it is probably still on duty on Attu somewhere counting glaciers.

Jeff Lewis

Just to bring everyone up to speed on the story as I know it

I've been told that Col Jarret left a 1st LT in charge of the Museum Collection while he travelled to Korea as part of a technical Intelligence mission to examine captured North Korean equipment. During his absence the base conducted one of it's periodic scrap drives and the LT either under pressure from peoiple further up the chain of command or from excessive youthful exuberance contributed a lot of what he coinsidered excess old equipment. I'm told it included several Tigers as well as other German pieces. When Col Jarrett came back he was reportedly livid and let the LT know it.

In the LTs defence These were probably not the rare gems we know Tigers to be today. A lot of equipment had been brought back to the states for testing and once that testing was completed probably sat with minimal or no attention. The same happened with 'wingy things' that enthusiasts now cringe when they think of. But yes a lot of German equipment cycled through Aberdeen that did not make it into teh permanent collection. Other equipment made it into the collection but was pruned out for various reasons later.

#13: Re: Aberdeen jagdtiger Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:46 pm
    ----
Here's the one pic I am aware of of the scrap drive...

The museum did at one point have a 250/9 - that comes the "Inactive" files (ie current status unknown - could have been scrapped, transferred or just possibly hidden away somewhere)... But no 250/8 I am aware of...

Sorry I havent been on much lately, work & school have been taking a real toll on my hobby time...

Neil

#14: Re: Aberdeen jagdtiger Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:19 pm
    ----
That is 'the' Jagdtiger alright. You can tell by the gouge under the gun mantley and the gun in full recoil. I've seen several 'artist renderings' of the camou scheme of the Aberdeen Jadgtiger. I've got to admit this liiks like none of 'em. That looks like a red primer base vehicle with camou pattern on top of it.

- Okay, the Jagd on George's Color & Camou section looks pretty close.

#15: One real gem in the scrap yard photo! Author: JJM67 PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:23 pm
    ----

Pz.III E/F mineroller chassis

-> AFV News Discussion Board